How can I get my external sd card reader to be recognized?

live2hunt

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
external sd card reader not being recognized

I just got the droid turbo yesterday. I am trying to download my pics from my old phone with a Transcend RDP9 card reader but it is not being recognized. Nothing happens when I plug it in. The light on the reader comes on but nothing on the phone.

live2hunt

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: external sd card reader not being recognized

The SD card is a scan disk 16gb micro SD HC. I am not very technical with these things so any help is appreciated. My old phone was a Galaxy 3 and I had no issues using the reader with it. Oh and I also tried a flash drive with the reader so I don't think the issue is with the SD card itself.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Try using the Motorola Migrate utility from the Play Store. You should be able to install it on your old Galaxy and then I understand bring files over that way.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.motorola.migrate&hl=en&token=xSJEDkeL

That utility is already on the Turbo.

Another idea is to connect your old phone (or the card reader) to your computer, copy the files over there, and then connect the Turbo and copy the files from the computer to your new phone.

live2hunt

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

I traded in my other phone for $100. My main issue is the reader itself. I use it a lot when I am checking trail cameras. I am guessing external readers just may not work with the turbo??

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I just tried my Sandisk MobileMate SD+ reader on my Turbo and it reads the microSD card that I tried just fine. My guess is that the card is formatted in exFAT or NTFS. To check this, plug the card reader into a computer and check the properties of the card. (Right click on the card icon and select properties). This should bring up a dialog box that will tell you that file system format of the card. If it is NTFS or exFAT, then you will need to reformat the card to FAT32 for the Turbo to read it. Make sure that you save all of the data on the card before you do this. This thread (http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...le-get-sandisk-dual-usb-drive-work-turbo.html) contains a link to a tool to format the card as FAT32.

WOODY1974

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

I sent my pics over using Bluetooth from my droid 4 to my turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I traded in my other phone for $100. My main issue is the reader itself. I use it a lot when I am checking trail cameras. I am guessing external readers just may not work with the turbo??

They should, especially if it was in another phone. Try using an app like ES File Explorer (in the Play Store) to access the card reader from the phone. You do need an On The Go (OTG) cable for it, though.

Or, like I said, connect the card reader to your computer, read in the files there, and then copy them over to the Turbo.