Thinking of upgrading to Turbo

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm due for my upgrade with Verizon and the Droid Turbo has been my front runner for what to go to. I currently have the Droid RAZR. I have really liked my current phone ... Hate the camera ... And the last month or so the phone has started to freeze up or not respond to my touch from time to time. So I'm ready to make the switch:) Plus they're now offering $100 trade in on your old phone with the purchase of the Turbo. I usually keep my old phone as a backup... but with that offer, I don't think I will.

I'm looking for something with a good battery life and camera.

I was curious for those that have the Turbo already, how you like it? If you were to do it again would you still get the Turbo? Kevlar or Ballistic Nylon? Please tell me this camera is better than the RAZR.... Case or no case?

Thanks in advance!

Posted via the Android Central App

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Honestly some people love the phone, some return it for one reason or another. I personally love the phone. Its fast, it takes great photos, the battery lasts. It feels of good quality too.

tdelfie03

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I love my turbo. The battery life is outstanding! I listen to an audio book using Bluetooth for 8 hrs, check email and Facebook a couple of times a night and send some texts. Battery is still at 80%when i leave work. Some people don't like the camera at all, it's not the best but not the worst either. I would definitely get this phone again if given a choice.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I came from the Droid Razr Maxx to the Turbo and love it. You'll hear mixed opinions about the camera, so if that's important to you, make sure you try it in the store first.

aleprott

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a couple of weeks and I really like it. I particularly like the active display, some of Motorola's auto actions, and the battery is amazing. I haven't used the camera too much so I can't speak to that. I also like that it is a phone I feel like I can carry without a case if I want to. I was always nervous with my M8 because it was so slippery.

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I came from the Droid Razr Maxx to the Turbo and love it. You'll hear mixed opinions about the camera, so if that's important to you, make sure you try it in the store first.

I've read mixed reviews on the camera as well... Is it better than the razr's camera... My low lighting pics are terrible and grainy currently...

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input ... Its always nice to hear from people that have the phone ... Not just the gadget reviewers that reviewed it months ago.

I'll probably be going Saturday afternoon to check it out and will try to find a low lit spot in the store to test the camera on:) It doesn't have to be spectacular... but better than what I currently have:)

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
The thing with low light is any camera doesn't take great photos. Cameras need light to take a crisp photo. Smartphone flashes are generally ok for close up shots but far away theyll obviously not take a good photo.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wait a Lil while the newer phones will be launching. Although its a beast of a phone it is last year tech

Moto X 2014

Sorry, but awful advice. There's always something better around the corner. Doesn't mean the Turbo is a slouch. Plus, she said she wanted to take advantage of the $100 trade.

As an FYI on that, if its the same promo they ran when the phone was released, you can trade in any Smartphone. Doesn't have to be the one you currently have. I had an old 1st gen Droid Incredible laying around, and they took that for the credit, without question.

Last edited:

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Also to add to that, I dont know if I trust the newest batch of processors. They seem to have overheating issues. I'm glad we have the 805. Also the phone is PLENTY fast, there's no need to think that you should wait for a faster phone. You can do anything on this phone and it has never gotten slow. Saying its last years specs is technically correct but makes it sound worse than it is. In the end of the day this phone has a 2k 5.2" screen, 3gb ram, 32/64gb storage, wireless charging, 2.7ghz quad core processor, 21mp camera/2.1mp camera....the things a beast and it won't be outdated in 2015, 2016 or honestly 2017. The saying "technological advances double every 6 months" or whatever isnt true anymore. Notice desktop computer for example. There used to be single core processors, then dual core came out then quad core...guess what? Most computers are still dual core and some majority are quad core. Dual core isnt outdated. (You can say about efficiency and cache etc) but this phones specs arent going to be outdated anytime soon.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm due for my upgrade with Verizon and the Droid Turbo has been my front runner for what to go to. I currently have the Droid RAZR. I have really liked my current phone ... Hate the camera ... And the last month or so the phone has started to freeze up or not respond to my touch from time to time. So I'm ready to make the switch:) Plus they're now offering $100 trade in on your old phone with the purchase of the Turbo. I usually keep my old phone as a backup... but with that offer, I don't think I will.

I'm looking for something with a good battery life and camera.

I was curious for those that have the Turbo already, how you like it? If you were to do it again would you still get the Turbo? Kevlar or Ballistic Nylon? Please tell me this camera is better than the RAZR.... Case or no case?

Thanks in advance!

I really have only one significant gripe with the Turbo, which I have had since it launched. Unfortrunately, the gripe is one that relates to something that is rather high on my priority list, and yours. The camera.

I took reasonable shots of our 8 year old daughter playing basketball (daylight in gym with large windows) with my Droid Maxx. Not art gallery quality shots for sure, but better than the Turbo is able to take. You'll see complaints about less than direct sunlight and moderate movment being issues here and elsewhere. The Turbo takes great shots in ideal conditions, so if you like shooting immobile objects outdoors, you'll be happy. The flash is also really good (I don't like flash and usually forego a shot if it requires flash). If you have pets or squirmy kids and want to capture those precious moments...you'll have some issues. I continue to hope that a software update can fix the camera issues on the Turbo, but there has been a camera app update pushed already and it didn't fix what's broken. FYI, a camera app update did at some point bump the quality of the Droid Maxx photos.

Beyond that, nothing bothers me about the phone at all. I have felt it isn't quite as good as expected in battery (better than the Maxx but maybe not quite as much better as I'd expected...and better than anything else out there), but Lollipop should give the battery a boost if promises are kept.

I got the ballistic nylon for the extra storage. If I could have, I might have gotten the metalized glass. My decision was made as the 64GB storage only comes with BN version, though.

I do use cases when I'm out and about. I'm pleased that there seem to be considerably more options for the Turbo (FYI some cases don't fit both MG and BN and some do) than there were for the Droid Maxx. I prefer no case and that's how it is at home. There is a long thread here about various experiences with various cases. Diztronic seems to be a particular favorite for a TPU case. I concur.

Would I do it again? Yes, pretty sure I would given my other options at the time. In particular, the new Motorola software (new to you coming from a Razr, anyway) is a revelation. Having it on my Droid Maxx and now my Turbo, it would be very hard for me to consider giving it up for another brand. Of course, Lollipop has a similar feature built in, but Moto does it better.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

To add to this, and my prior post, make sure you try and capture movement in particular. If you just shoot a few pics of the phones in the store, you may think the camera is better than it is overall.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The thing with low light is any camera doesn't take great photos. Cameras need light to take a crisp photo. Smartphone flashes are generally ok for close up shots but far away theyll obviously not take a good photo.

This is a common counter to those of us who express disappointment in the Turbo camera. Of course it is true generally speaking, but in my case anyway, I'm comparing my pics to those I took with the Turbo's immediate predecessor the Droid Maxx. I dont think it's crazy to expect the same type shots will be at least marginally better on the newer phone. They aren't, unless the condtions are ideal.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
To each their own. No phone is perfect, and someone will always complain about a singularity. I came from 5 years of Samsung devices and transitioned to the Turbo. I'm quite happy with my decision.

To put a feather in Motorola's cap, they are known for offering the best reception in the market. This is due in large to the successful history Motorola has had, and they purchased patents of the best technology.

For me, piece of mind is key. A 3900 mAh battery is definitely piece of mind. I think waiting for "new players" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Quick decisions can be regrettable. But I'd suggest that if you are indeed impressed with the Turbo, purchase it. Waiting for a SoC 810 is incidental in my opinion. Motorola managed do design, build, and sell a phone that has crushed industry standards.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I definetly would base your decision only on reviews. They seem to always leave out information about the turbo and in general seem to down play it. An example is this article, which fails to mention the turbo also has wireless charging. They also mention how the turbo has outdated capacitive buttons. They fail to say that the Samsung does too. In addition most reviews say the turbo doesn't look good and is too thick..

Samsung Galaxy S6 vs Droid Turbo Specs Comparison: Features, Price Review - Pure Muscle Takes on Metal and Glass Beauty | The Christian Times

Just make sure you test out them all and dont always trust reviewers of the turbo, for the most part they all seem to dislike it and down play it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Kevlar. The ballistic nylon is uncomfortable and slippery. The kevlar give you some tack to hang on it. Watch out for screens - an area with a pinkish cast is not uncommon. It's unnoticeable unless your screen is a pretty homogenous color - I can see it easily in Kindle. Camera isn't a barn burner, but it's pretty decent.

You won't do better in a new phone for battery life. The Droid Maxx is on a par with it for battery and it has a nice screen and feels about the same in the hand. The MaxxHD is also on par for battery, but the screen while good at the time isn't so good by todays standard. I can't think of anything else that runs as long. The G3 is pretty good on battery, but not this good, although the G3 screen is better. Moto X '14 - no way even close in battery. I like the screen better on it though. M8 is OK but too frikking huge for that screen. Haven;t tried the Note 4, but the 3 was decent too.

If you get the kevlar (and you should) pass on the case. It just ruins it. The proportions are great and it's more comfortable without it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
To each their own. No phone is perfect, and someone will always complain about a singularity. I came from 5 years of Samsung devices and transitioned to the Turbo. I'm quite happy with my decision.

To put a feather in Motorola's cap, they are known for offering the best reception in the market. This is due in large to the successful history Motorola has had, and they purchased patents of the best technology.

For me, piece of mind is key. A 3900 mAh battery is definitely piece of mind. I think waiting for "new players" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Quick decisions can be regrettable. But I'd suggest that if you are indeed impressed with the Turbo, purchase it. Waiting for a SoC 810 is incidental in my opinion. Motorola managed do design, build, and sell a phone that has crushed industry standards.

Well, Motorola is second best in terms of reception. Better by a long throw is Blackberry. There are three zones of death around my house. My Turbo, '14 X, Droid Maxx and Maxx HD, G3 and HTC One M8 all drop calls there. The BB Z30 does not. In fact I should have mentioned it when discussing battery on another thread. The Z30 is darn good there too. If only the OS had a better app selection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan