Offline topo/GPS apps

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
So I'm thinking about switching ecosystems and this handset is on my list.

One of the things that is important to me is offline topo mapping apps.
1) What are your go to apps for offline topo use? A lot of my buddies use Backcounty Navigator.

2) How long will this handset's battery run a GPS app like Backcountry Navigator? I typically go into airplane mode to conserve battery (no cell signal where I go typically anyway) and just use GPS. Can anyone do a quick test with a GPS app that uses offline topo maps, let it run for an hour and see how much battery it consumes?

Thanks in advance!

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about topo apps but I play golf and use an app that gives me yardage to each hole. The GPS is constantly on to update my location and the yardage to the green. The average time for a round of golf is about 5 to 6 hours and my Turbo will only use about 25% of the battery. The most it ever used was about 40% but the course I was playing was back in the hills and little to no cell coverage back there. Didn't realize it so my Turbo ate up more battery trying to find a signal. Hope this gives a little bit of an answer... ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I played around with a lot of them but the one I like is Maverick. You have a choice of map providers. I don't use it for it's intended purpose, but often I do use it to find where my plane is at O'Hare or Atlanta and how long it's going to get to the ramp to deplane THIS time.:) It's a neat app.