I'd Never Have Thought...

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Non-removable battery? Nope. No expandable memory? Sorry. Droid Turbo? But the battery! But the lack of a micro SD!

Not only was I sold on its advertising, but I've been absolutely wowed by this phone for the last three months. I'm a convert. I can say, with total certainty, this is the most robust and well-equipped phone I have owned. I think about its successor. To improve this phone will require creative engineering.

Posted via the Android Central App

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Hear, hear! I second the motion! Amen! I love my Turbo! Mama hasn't complained about her battery since we upgraded from the DNA!

DRoID TuRBo this...

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Non-removable battery? Nope. No expandable memory? Sorry. Droid Turbo? But the battery! But the lack of a micro SD!

Not only was I sold on its advertising, but I've been absolutely wowed by this phone for the last three months. I'm a convert. I can say, with total certainty, this is the most robust and well-equipped phone I have owned. I think about its successor. To improve this phone will require creative engineering.

or someone who knows how to make a camera actually work in less than perfect circumstances. My only downfall with the phone. Kissed it goodbye. Didnt regret it for a second.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

honestly, I dont even notice the lack of sd card anymore. The future is no sd card. its faster and safer. the phone has plenty of storage anyway. and the battery, like the iphones, IS removeable. you take the back off which is not hard at all....and why would you need to unplug the battery anyway? there is no reason to have any of that removeable parts anymore.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
honestly, I dont even notice the lack of sd card anymore. The future is no sd card. its faster and safer. the phone has plenty of storage anyway. and the battery, like the iphones, IS removeable. you take the back off which is not hard at all....and why would you need to unplug the battery anyway? there is no reason to have any of that removeable parts anymore.

If the battery has a low mAh, a removable battery is worth it still. The power users get cheated. But the Turbo? Definitely not. 3900 mAh is plenty of juice for a very heavy day of usage.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Don't miss the SD card at all and am now glad the Turbo doesn't have one. Now don't have to worry about the card failing, and with 64GB internal it is actually faster without the card. Also, I keep the devices usually no more than 2 years, so I'm sure the battery will hold up. And the battery is replaceable if necessary.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Don't miss the SD card at all and am now glad the Turbo doesn't have one. Now don't have to worry about the card failing, and with 64GB internal it is actually faster without the card. Also, I keep the devices usually no more than 2 years, so I'm sure the battery will hold up. And the battery is replaceable if necessary.

Lithium ion (in the Turbo) is actually a material that degrades quite slower than a lithium polymer (iPhone) battery. I've always had the craving to have the latest and greatest which meant spending full price between upgrades.

I don't foresee that happening with the Turbo. No boredom, nothing quirky or irritating. Just for kicks, I did put the Turbo through a few benchmark tests and it scored at the top in comparison to other Android's. I honestly have nothing negative to say about the Turbo.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Most of the improvements I can think of are to the software - moto voice could be made better; even moto display could be improved, perhaps with more discrete ways to notify you (ie, only notify when favorites email, text, etc.) Moto assist could be better. They could allow full removal of preloaded apps like NFL mobile, Amazon apps, or Verizon messages (which is unlikely and I don't expect it, but would be an improvement.)

But I don't think they'd have to be too creative to add a fingerprint reader.

And, of course, the biggest thing they need to improve is the camera. OIS and better low light performance are obvious. Clearly cameras will always get better. Displays will always get better. Processors will always get better.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
On screen buttons rather than capacitive - some people really want that (I'm actually fine with capacitive or on screen.)

A couple of years ago they had a Droid Mini, but it was hampered - probably because it was a little too small. If they had a mini version with a 4.7" amoled display (unlike the mini's 4" lcd, which couldn't take full advantage of battery savings from moto display) and still a large battery (say, 3000 mah) I bet they'd sell a bunch.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
On screen buttons rather than capacitive - some people really want that (I'm actually fine with capacitive or on screen.)

A couple of years ago they had a Droid Mini, but it was hampered - probably because it was a little too small. If they had a mini version with a 4.7" amoled display (unlike the mini's 4" lcd, which couldn't take full advantage of battery savings from moto display) and still a large battery (say, 3000 mah) I bet they'd sell a bunch.

With the great Moto Display fucntionality, it's dumb to put anything but an AMOLED display in a Motorola. The functionality itself is nice, but one of the big selling points is how it saves battery on AMOLEDs.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I have had all three button types. I had the regular buttons on my droid x and didnt particularly like those, but it was definetly livable and fine. I had the on screen buttons on my gnex. That was nice at first. I loved how it auto rotated and was able to be changed and add button etc but once it started to burn into the screen it sucked....now i have the turbo and honestly I like capacative the best. no they wont get upgraded and wont rotate and you cant customize it but it doesnt eat away the screen size and most of all it DOES not burn it.

what I started doing (I actually did this on my droid x as well) I installed lux auto brightness because I like keeping the buttons lights disabled to squeeze extra juice out. no need to have them lit if I know where they are

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

My wife had the Droid Razr M which was the precursor to the Mini. If they made Turbo-esque version of that phone she'd be all over it. She loved the size of it and the thing was basically bullet proof.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My wife had the Droid Razr M which was the precursor to the Mini. If they made Turbo-esque version of that phone she'd be all over it. She loved the size of it and the thing was basically bullet proof.

My brother and his two kids have the Droid Mini. Actually he now has a gen 1 Moto X (gave his Mini to his daughter after her husband accidentally cracked her screen), but all of them loved the Mini. He came from an OG Droid Incredible (yeah I know, he squeezed every last drop out of that one) and his kids came from Samsung Stratospheres. They couldn't believe how nice the Mini was. After I showed them all of the Motorola enhancements, they loved them even more. In my opinion, Motorola is probably the most improved OEM since 2013. Hopefully it continues under Lenovo.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind the memory as I never fill my phones up with music or movies. The battery life is great, just not quite as good as my Maxx was. Still a great overall all around phone though. If they could get it to the form factor of the LG G's with their thinness and their screen to body ratio and keep the same battery that would be great. I picked up an iPhone 6 today and am always amazed how thin and light they are. I don't see myself ever owning one, but they do admittedly feel nice in the hand.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'll take a thicker design which gives me 6 hours of screen on time over a thinner one which struggles to give me even 3 any day.

Few years ago battery life wasn't a big deal and some manufacturers are still breathing in the same old days. Battery life has become more important to users than design. Obviously it depends on person to person. But it really makes me laugh when I see heavy users rocking a huge battery pack case on their iPhones. So much for being thin and light eh?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I'll take a thicker phone with excellent battery life any day of the week. Actually, with seemingly all of the flagship now at 5.2" or more, a thicker phone is far easier to grip and a better fit in my average sized hands. I switch back and forth between a Droid Turbo and an S5. When I use the S5, I will only do so with the Gorilla Gadgets extended battery. Easier to hold, far better battery life, and just looks more sturdy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad