Slow, laggy typing speed on my Turbo

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So I notice when I am texting someone a long message (not MMS long but over the limit for one page, or in Facebook with a short two-sentence paragraph, or even in this app, I begin to notice a slowdown (even as we speak) and lag and after I press keys. It takes a while for the keyboard and screen to catch up.

What causes this, and how do I fix it? I use the stock keyboard, not rooted, and I don't use gesture typing. But this stuff is annoying and help is appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
In the past I found two culprits as this has happened on my G2, galaxy nexus, and other phones.

One was my keyboard (swype). Every once in a while if have to dump everything and reinstall.

The other was that I had way too many messages build up in my message app. It effected the performance of my whole phone.

Hope one of those helps, good luck and report any findings

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In the past I found two culprits as this has happened on my G2, galaxy nexus, and other phones.

One was my keyboard (swype). Every once in a while if have to dump everything and reinstall.

The other was that I had way too many messages build up in my message app. It effected the performance of my whole phone.

Hope one of those helps, good luck and report any findings

I don't use Swype, deleting out my text message inbox, and clearing caches of various apps I would text/type within like this one has done nothing. I just did a factory refresh last week so that is not it, either. I've closed out all other apps i had been in and didn't close out, and that doesn't work -- but I didn't go into settings and manually close constantly running apps, either, to see if an app I downloaded that runs in the background is the culprit.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes the same thing happened to me. And it happened to me because the google keyboard got updated recently. And it sucks now! So much lag and stutter was making me crazy. So I went in apps and uninstalled all updates. And it's back to it's first state and works just fine.

I won't update until another update arrives. The new color themes are missing the rest of it works just the same without the update. I suggest you do the same. Things are much better now.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes the same thing happened to me. And it happened to me because the google keyboard got updated recently. And it sucks now! So much lag and stutter was making me crazy. So I went in apps and uninstalled all updates. And it's back to it's first state and works just fine.

I won't update until another update arrives. The new color themes are missing the rest of it works just the same without the update. I suggest you do the same. Things are much better now.

I will attempt this method, give it a serious go-around, and report back with my experience. It should show a resolution (or lack of confirmation) rather quickly with how I use my phone.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I will attempt this method, give it a serious go-around, and report back with my experience. It should show a resolution (or lack of confirmation) rather quickly with how I use my phone.

SwiftKey works great for me!

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately while there was some improvement, the issue still persists as a whole so I cannot say it was successful reducing the keyboard to factory state.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes I don't know what's going on. I uninstalled and installed the keyboard again. And it works so much better now. I don't know what's going on really. Although mine is working fine now. By itself.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I don't know what's going on. I uninstalled and installed the keyboard again. And it works so much better now. I don't know what's going on really. Although mine is working fine now. By itself.

Well I appreciate the thought nonetheless. It was worth a try.

I guess next I download a keyboard like previously recommended and see how that goes. If the same issue persists then we can probably rule out a keyboard issue and focus on something else within the phone.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey works great for me!

Installed and did a test post in Facebook where I wrote a metric ton of stuff and not once did I get that laggy slowdown where i would type a few words and the phone would vibrate each key press and slowly input what i was doing once I got so far in. IF SwiftKey does it, well, I'd have to write one heck of a novel to find out.

I will tweak SwiftKey for my own usage as it has quirks i need to adapt to fit me, but so far i think it has potential. But definitely it proves my issue is Google keyboard. Something with it causes my issues. What i do not know, but it does.

chels_t_11

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
My Droid Turbo has recently started doing this too. I use the Messaging+ App. I've had the phone since January. I'm not sure what to do. I deleted a lot of my conversations but it is still happening.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Happens to me too with Google Keyboard. I cleared everything so its decent now but I'm sure it'll mess up again. I tried SwiftKey but I honestly can't stand it after giving it a week. Not sure why.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Happens to me too with Google Keyboard. I cleared everything so its decent now but I'm sure it'll mess up again. I tried SwiftKey but I honestly can't stand it after giving it a week. Not sure why.

Swiftkey is not a smooth fit for me. When you punctuate a word it auto-inserts a space and you cannot turn this feature off. I prefer to manually add my spaces in. Choosing a theme color is a nice thing, and a dedicates number row option at the top is great, but there are too many little nuances for me that it is not a good fit. However, it does not lag when I type so I make do and persevere.

Let's see what Lollipop does for the Google Keyboard. Maybe a fix comes then.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey is not a smooth fit for me. When you punctuate a word it auto-inserts a space and you cannot turn this feature off. I prefer to manually add my spaces in.

This is my only pet-peeve about Swiftkey, and it is particularly annoying when you try to type in something like a URL. It seems to recognize when you are entering numbers and does not add a space with a period after a number, but Swiftkey really need to make this an option.

That said, it's a very minor pet-peeve for me. Swiftkey is so much more accurate for me as a keyboard, and the numeric keyboard is better than Google's.

Actually, I just thought of another - it supports a swipe to the left gesture to erase a whole word, and I often do this accidentally. I'd love to turn this feature off as well.

I've tried Fleksy as well, and it is also good, but that's one that I just couldn't get accustomed to. I've been using Swiftkey for about 4 years now so it is pretty hard to switch to something else.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This is my only pet-peeve about Swiftkey, and it is particularly annoying when you try to type in something like a URL. It seems to recognize when you are entering numbers and does not add a space with a period after a number, but Swiftkey really need to make this an option.

That said, it's a very minor pet-peeve for me. Swiftkey is so much more accurate for me as a keyboard, and the numeric keyboard is better than Google's.

Actually, I just thought of another - it supports a swipe to the left gesture to erase a whole word, and I often do this accidentally. I'd love to turn this feature off as well.

I've tried Fleksy as well, and it is also good, but that's one that I just couldn't get accustomed to. I've been using Swiftkey for about 4 years now so it is pretty hard to switch to something else.

I think if they do make tweaks to it -- and I reported the tweak ideas to them as they encourage you to -- then perhaps it will be a better keyboard. Things always evolve so I am trying to give this a fighting chance and not just use/uninstall after a day or so. Then again, the alternative is a laggy Google keyboard so, I'll deal with the nuances for now, but hopefully all of our gripes get fixed and it can make the keyboard better.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Try downloading a previous version of Google keyboard from the Web. I downloaded the 4.0.1 version and turned off automatic updates in the playstore.

It works perfectly for me now.
I can type long messages easily.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Google Keyboard has been driving me nuts so I switched to SwiftKey again. I'm going to try and get used to it because it seems to be the best keyboard available. I'll give it a week and see if I can get used to its differences from Google Keyboard.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I use SwiftKey and started getting the lag about a week ago... Was driving me nuts. Wiped the cache through recovery a few days ago and has been fine since.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just realized my text message application, which I never use due to Hangouts, had a limit of 1000 SMS and MMS. I cleared out all of my messages there and set it go 250. I'm still using Hangouts but now my messages are not hanging with Google Keyboard. I may need to delete messages once in awhile.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I simply cannot adapt to Swiftkey like I want to, despite trying hard to use it to its fullest, so with the new OS update it is time to see how the Google stock keyboard has changed and if it is any better on the lag front. I would like to think a new OS fixes the issue but we shall see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon