Does the music I buy from Google Play use my data when I listen to it?

jimcapraro

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Question about google play.

It uses data when you download it if you use your 4G connection to download. If you are connected to wifi when you download it doesn't use your data from your verizon wireless data plan. Once downloaded, and it is on you phone it does not use your data when you listen to it.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

How do I know if I downloaded it to my phone? Where would it be stored? I just buy the albums on Google Play then when I want to listen to them open Google Play and they show up and I click the play arrow and they play. I'm assuming that probably means I did not download them.

ryanidcomm

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

in the google play settings there is a switch that says "downloaded only"

this will only show songs you have added to your phone manually (MP3s) and songs that are cached or "downloaded" on your phone from google play. the songs from google play are stored in the google play app,, you will notice it will quickly become your biggest app. you do not have access to these files. I notices once the google play app gets about 5GB it slows down a bunch..
you can tell google play to download any album. it also auto caches songs you listen to a lot automatically.

If you want the "psychical" MP3 files I believe you have to go to the website on a PC and download it there. for a limit of 2 times.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ryan, it looks like some of mine are downloaded and some are not. I have one album with 28 songs and 14 are downloaded and they are the ones I listened to. Thanks for showing me this setting.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You can also manually download songs from Google Play. When you are un a song, album, or playlist view, there is a download control that lets you download song by song, or even the entire playlist or album. When they are downloaded, the icon changes to something like a check mark.

ryanidcomm

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

yea.. it was rough start for google music. .. but its even better then it was just a few months ago..

ryanidcomm

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
no problem bud.. i wanted to explain it better..

but yeah when your viewing a album or playlist in the google music app there should be a small Push pin / thumb tack looking icon under the album cover or artist picture. click that and it will download the album and that's what turns into the check mark.

Kristy Kelly

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys im having a similar issue except my S6 will only let me download content when im connected to wifi which is almost never so sometimes it can take days or weeks to actually get the tracks ivepaid money for. Quite frustrating. Can anyone help or is this a locked setting i can't change?
Tah, thanks

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys im having a similar issue except my S6 will only let me download content when im connected to wifi which is almost never so sometimes it can take days or weeks to actually get the tracks ivepaid money for. Quite frustrating. Can anyone help or is this a locked setting i can't change?
Tah, thanks

Have you checked the "download only on WiFi" toggle under settings?

jordan mcwilliams

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
It well not use data if your connnect to wifi

If your not try not to download well eat away your data fast but as some have said the saved ones like ones you have brought from Google play does not use much data

I tend to use my wifi more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463