DROID TURBO: Advanced Calling Mess

Heath Isbell

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I have been informed by Verizon that my Droid Turbo can only have simultaneous voice/data when advanced calling is on. This leads to so many dropped calls. So basically my choice is to have terrible phone reception or no simultaneous voice and data. Had I known that this problem was a hardware issue, I would never have bought this phone. Advanced calling is a useless technology. Forcing me to use it will lead me to a more reliable carrier.

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Turbo advanced calling mess

Advanced calling only works in strong 4G or WiFi connections, only. Sounds like you got the sales pitch and not directed to where the details were.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I never initiated the advanced calling feature...I knew going in -the no data and call -at the same time... If you can't stand it, hope you are in your 14 day window...just return it.

DRoID TuRBo this...

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Note 4 is the latest/greatest phone that will do voice and data without advanced calling on verizon I believe. Might want to return it to verizon or sell it on swappa and buy a used note 4 if this is a must have feature and the signal isn't strong enough where you need it.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I have been informed by Verizon that my Droid Turbo can only have simultaneous voice/data when advanced calling is on. This leads to so many dropped calls. So basically my choice is to have terrible phone reception or no simultaneous voice and data. Had I known that this problem was a hardware issue, I would never have bought this phone. Advanced calling is a useless technology. Forcing me to use it will lead me to a more reliable carrier.

Heath, unfortunately, your choices will be limited. I saw the other post on this thread regarding the Note 4, but many other devices are coming out the same way as the Turbo, such as "the next best thing" by Samsung, the S6. The discussion about Advanced Calling (AC) on the Turbo has been going on for months, and it appears to vary greatly depending on your device and where you live. I appear to be one of the lucky ones as I enabled AC the day it was updated back in December and I have NEVER once dropped a call. Others report the same as myself, yet I see posts from a lot of Turbo owners that they drop calls often with AC enabled. I can't imagine not having data and voice at the same time as I use my phone for work, and even for pleasure while talking to family or friends I like to look at the map or look up something pertinent to the conversation. Again, just lucky that I don't have the dropped call issue.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I bought the turbo on release day, and no one was mentioning the fact you could not do voice and data at the same time. Motorola's intent was an update to advanced calling, which they promised in 90 days of the release date.

We got the update but it still bothered a lot of people that with voice/data such a common thing that the phone would not be released w it, and the fact it wasnt advertised that way.

The turbo is a great phone, but it should have been released w the hardware for voice/data w out relying on advanced calling.

Between that and the fact that we are only now hearing of an update to lollipop, motorola and verizon may have done more damage than good with this phone. Sad thing is, the turbo is a true flagship phone.. They just havent treated it that way.

I will be very cautious when the new one is released later this year

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I bought the turbo on release day, and no one was mentioning the fact you could not do voice and data at the same time. Motorola's intent was an update to advanced calling, which they promised in 90 days of the release date..

Nobody was mentioning it? It was in the android central review. http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo-review

It was a well known issue with the Motorola X, which came out several weeks earlier. This was not a big secret. And Motorola did release an update that provided volte within 90 days. (The actual promise, as I recall, was by the end of the year.)

That said, volte is a very version 1 thing right now. It can only get better. Hopefully Verizon will have things like CDMA handoff and/or wifi handoff available at some point soon. (With CDMA handoff, voice and data won't happen, but it never could on 3G/evdo anyway.) Until then, as you say, you don't have much choice. I think the Note 4 may be the last high end verizon phone with two antennas that can work simultaneously. Verizon wants to move to volte.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Nobody was mentioning it? It was in the android central review. Motorola Droid Turbo review | Android Central

It was a well known issue with the Motorola X, which came out several weeks earlier. This was not a big secret. And Motorola did release an update that provided volte within 90 days. (The actual promise, as I recall, was by the end of the year.)

That said, volte is a very version 1 thing right now. It can only get better. Hopefully Verizon will have things like CDMA handoff and/or wifi handoff available at some point soon. (With CDMA handoff, voice and data won't happen, but it never could on 3G/evdo anyway.) Until then, as you say, you don't have much choice. I think the Note 4 may be the last high end verizon phone with two antennas that can work simultaneously. Verizon wants to move to volte.

I can't remember where I read it, but in an article awhile back (I believe it was right after Advance Calling was announced a year prior to it's release, they mentioned that battery life was horrid on it with the current setup of two antennas, like 50% of what it would normally get on CDMA. So their solution was to go with a single antenna setup, which brought the battery level up to par with pre VoLTE phones. If they hadn't done that, and released it the way it was, how angry would customers have been when their M9s and S6s only got half the battery life they're currently getting. While I agree it's a step back in terms of functionality, I'd take that over halving the battery life any day.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Lol, maybe it was there, i just didnt see it. Anyway, the store didnt mention it.

I do remember getting the update as promised. Luckily im in an area of good service.

The advanced calling has improved, but a couple weeks ago the service in my town was spotty for most of a day, and i had to turn off advanced calling to have a conversation.

By the way, i read the article after you posted the link (thanks for that). But the article was dated Nov 6th 2014. Like i said, i got it on release date (Oct 30th).

With all that said, i gave my daughter my turbo in Jan because i decided i just had to have the note 4. In May we traded back because she wanted the Note 4 and to be honest, i missed the Turbo!

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I bought the turbo on release day, and no one was mentioning the fact you could not do voice and data at the same time. Motorola's intent was an update to advanced calling, which they promised in 90 days of the release date.

We got the update but it still bothered a lot of people that with voice/data such a common thing that the phone would not be released w it, and the fact it wasnt advertised that way.

The turbo is a great phone, but it should have been released w the hardware for voice/data w out relying on advanced calling.

Between that and the fact that we are only now hearing of an update to lollipop, motorola and verizon may have done more damage than good with this phone. Sad thing is, the turbo is a true flagship phone.. They just havent treated it that way.

I will be very cautious when the new one is released later this year

No, it shouldn't have had both VoLTE and talk/data without it. It's been said many times that running multiple antennas would actually have a negative impact on battery life. This is why they went this direction rather than both. I understand where those with issues are coming from but the future is VoLTE. I have not had any dropped calls since its launch so I have been lucky. For those with issues I sympathize with but your options are limited and getting worse.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

People keep saying that it would have had major battery problems. That may be true if you spend hours on the phone (literally do nothing else on your phone but talk on the phone while using mobile data, which is very, very rare), but the Droid Maxx, with a slightly smaller battery than the Turbo, seems to have decent battery life.

I think the battery effects are smaller than is posted here and the biggest reasons phones are designed this way is because it's easier to build and because Verizon wants to push volte and is putting a flag in the sand to get it started. The Moto X and the Samsung Galaxy S6 both also have this design and their newer models don't have major (50%) battery savings over the previous year's models. If the battery life savings were that dramatic, the phones would show that, too.

I'd love to see a link saying what the exact battery effects are.

Ok, did some googling and found this: http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/study-volte-slashes-smartphone-battery-life-50/2012-11-27

Despite what the rest of the article says,

Specifically, the average current drain for CDMA voice combined with LTE data was measured at 889 mA, and the average power consumption at 3280 mW. Employing VoLTE for calls along with LTE for data service produced an average current drain of 790 mA, and 2915 mW of power consumption.

So, a smaller battery effect than 50%. More like 11% better, only while actively in a phone call. That sounds closer to real world experience when comparing current phones to older models.

Volte will get better. Let's all hope it gets dramatically better soon.

(If Verizon plans to sunset cdma in 2021 I hope they're planning to put a tower near me before then, because my lte coverage sucks.)

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I had a Maxx and it had the dual antennas and battery life was great. As for the Turbo,ordered one yesterday, but figured out 95 percent of the time I am on WIFI so it does not matter, since you can do voice and WIFI data at the same time. My truck has a WIFI hot spot, my house is WIFI. Under most circumstances, only place I won't have WIFI is where I won't have voice either.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

People keep saying that it would have had major battery problems. That may be true if you spend hours on the phone (literally do nothing else on your phone but talk on the phone while using mobile data, which is very, very rare), but the Droid Maxx, with a slightly smaller battery than the Turbo, seems to have decent battery life.

I think the battery effects are smaller than is posted here and the biggest reasons phones are designed this way is because it's easier to build and because Verizon wants to push volte and is putting a flag in the sand to get it started. The Moto X and the Samsung Galaxy S6 both also have this design and their newer models don't have major (50%) battery savings over the previous year's models. If the battery life savings were that dramatic, the phones would show that, too.

I'd love to see a link saying what the exact battery effects are.

Ok, did some googling and found this: http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/study-volte-slashes-smartphone-battery-life-50/2012-11-27

Despite what the rest of the article says,

So, a smaller battery effect than 50%. More like 11% better, only while actively in a phone call. That sounds closer to real world experience when comparing current phones to older models.

Volte will get better. Let's all hope it gets dramatically better soon.

(If Verizon plans to sunset cdma in 2021 I hope they're planning to put a tower near me before then, because my lte coverage sucks.)

I believe, but don't hold me to this since its been a long while since I read it, the battery life would be negatively affected for everyone if they want that route. If this was indeed true and I am recalling correctly, I don't want to have my phone suffer battery drain for an antenna I have no use for. Of course, its easy for me to say because unlike you, I live in an area surrounded by Verizon LTE service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37