DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: WiFi Still Not Fixed For Me

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Had high hopes that wifi would improve with update. Still can't connect to an excellent server. Time to bail out.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Re: WiFi Still Not Fixed

That sounds like a server configuration problem. I have never had a problem connecting to any wi-fi device.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Just booted up a new phone and it connected to my home wifi seconds after plugging in the password.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Had high hopes that wifi would improve with update. Still can't connect to an excellent server. Time to bail out.

I also have never had an issue connecting to any Wi-Fi with the Turbo. I suspect there is something in the routers settings that is causing this. One time I wasted most of a day trying to get a device to connect to my home Wi-Fi and then realized I had turned on MAC address filtering in the Wi-Fi security of my router.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Not only has my Turbo been flawless on WiFi, it's the fastest phone I've had my hands on. Speeds are equal to 2 different desktop PC's connected via ethernet and range is outstanding especially, on the 2.4 band.

phlyer

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the no problems camp. Purchased the phone Sunday and it connected immediately once I got home.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What's the problem? Could you elaborate more on the issue?

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Connects fine to home and work. Unknown networks have a problem. Hangs when trying to get an IP address or is just super slow.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Connects fine to home and work. Unknown networks have a problem. Hangs when trying to get an IP address or is just super slow.

It sounds more like a network issue than a phone issue I would say. Especially if it is working at home and other networks that you trust.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
As much as you say its a great server and all, I am going to have to believe either it isnt great, or there is something wrong with your specific phone. If you like the phone I wouldn't necessarily bail from it because of an issue that may not be actually with the phone

labsilverado1

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I too have had home WiFi issues with my turbo. Always have though. I even had Verizon replace the router to a better one and still see the same connection problem. Phone shows connected, but when trying to use Internet or app that requires internet. Nothing will load. Had to do lollipop update on 4g.

Posted via the Android Central App

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to rank the WiFi connections?

I have a router that's both an optimum Hotspot and my own WiFi network. Right now it's connected to optimum WiFi and not my network. Any way to tell it to connect to my home network first above the optimum?

I thought I was able to rank them by preference before.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to rank the WiFi connections?

I have a router that's both an optimum Hotspot and my own WiFi network. Right now it's connected to optimum WiFi and not my network. Any way to tell it to connect to my home network first above the optimum?

I thought I was able to rank them by preference before.
I'd like to know if this is possible too. I have 2.4 & 5g networks at both work and home. Since the upgrade it always seems to default to the 5g networks when it connects even though the signal strength is lower than the 2.4.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know if this is possible too. I have 2.4 & 5g networks at both work and home. Since the upgrade it always seems to default to the 5g networks when it connects even though the signal strength is lower than the 2.4.

If you save both 2.4 & 5G the phone will always (or, almost always) default to 5G if the signal strength is adequate. This is because 5G will normally have faster connection & throughput even though, the signal strength is less. I've confirmed this many times with repetitive, back-to-back speed test using a variety of servers. Sometimes the differences are small, sometimes substantial but overall 5G wins. I used to keep mine on 2.4 for the extra range but no longer bother. My Asus AC68U has 5G range sufficient for my home interior & grounds so I just let the device select now & couldn't be more satisfied. The Turbo actually equals 2, ethernet connected desktop computers & that speaks volumes about the hardware capability. Also, to date every Turbo I've seen with WiFi issues could be traced to the router - old & outdated lacking modern protocols or badly in need of a firmware update or both. Saddle these bad boys up to a good network & watch it fly.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
What you're saying makes sense and I'll run with it for a while to watch the performance. The phone didn't connect to 5g first before I did the update though, it always took the 2.4 network.

zen45

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
on kitkat my wifi would drop out all the time and wasn't stable with the update to lollipop its now stable and doesn't drop out all the time !!