DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Removing the Google Search Bar

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

Curious why you switched back from 3rd party launcher. Part of the customization experience is also the availability of 3rd party apps to do exactly this purpose. Did it cause battery drain or lag / stuttering? I was thinking of trying one just to get more material design choices.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Curious why you switched back from 3rd party launcher. Part of the customization experience is also the availability of 3rd party apps to do exactly this purpose. Did it cause battery drain or lag / stuttering? I was thinking of trying one just to get more material design choices.

I really don't know. I just love Motorola for some reason. I dont think I have ever tried it on Motorola due to this. When I had a Samsung device I used a launcher because TouchWiz is awful but I never found it better than Motorola except for when Blur existed.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site

At Eclipse2K...do you know that you can long press the home screen and disable the search bar? An option anyway, but I agree that its new look is too much!

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo 64G using Tapatalk.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

At Eclipse2K...do you know that you can long press the home screen and disable the search bar? An option anyway, but I agree that its new look is too much!

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo 64G using Tapatalk.

Yes, first thing I did! Lol, I liked having it there but not enough for it to be bright white.

Namrobo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

Reason why i went with Motorola is for the near stock android experience. Adding a launcher would just add unnecessary bulk, and cpu consumption imo; why i dont go well with touchwiz, sense, etc.

Launchers were relevent back in the day when android NEEDED it, or better yet a custom ROM. God i miss my old SGS Captivate from 4years ago... Clocked it so high....

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Reason why i went with Motorola is for the near stock android experience. Adding a launcher would just add unnecessary bulk, and cpu consumption imo; why i dont go well with touchwiz, sense, etc.

Launchers were relevent back in the day when android NEEDED it, or better yet a custom ROM. God i miss my old SGS Captivate from 4years ago... Clocked it so high....

I've never had a problem with performance or battery drain on a moto phone with a third party launcher on KitKat or jellybean.

TouchWiz and Sense are more than just launchers, and performance issues with them are not just because of the launcher.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Unnecessary bulk? A trifling amount the Turbo won't even notice.

CPU consumption? You'll be using one launcher at a time, not having two run simultaneously.

Realize the Turbo is a performance beast of a phone and can handle a third party launcher as easily as a 747 jet airliner could handle a stowaway ant.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

I mean I agree the Turbo is a beast of a smartphone, but I personally like google now, its simple, lightweight and in general I like to use all google apps. The more feature packed launchers can start to add bulk and can start to slow a phone down. A good example is touch wiz, many people complain how it slows down the phone. Its like if you take a Ferrari and stuff the trunk full of lead. Its performance will become worse.

I can understand that people don't necessarily want to add more apps than needed. Honestly it annoys me that I cant uninstall the other two messaging apps I don't use and all the other bloatware. I want as little on the phone as possible so I can keep it neat and organized. My laptop is no slouch and has plenty of power to allow me to keep stuff on my desktop but I only keep the recycling bin and my google drive folder. Every thing else is neatly tucked away into the my documents, etc folders.

I love the google now launcher, only complaint is that since android no longer has a settings button, if you dont keep an open spot on the desktop idk how to get to the settings/ wallpaper/ widgets etc menu. You need to press and hold the open backround

Namrobo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

I've never had a problem with performance or battery drain on a moto phone with a third party launcher on KitKat or jellybean.

TouchWiz and Sense are more than just launchers, and performance issues with them are not just because of the launcher.

Yeh i mean its nothing notably bad, i just feel its unnecessary. Launchers do run in the background tho and though not noticeable, its still there.

I agree touchwiz and the like are much more than just a skin and UI, it has added bloat and other crap.

df508462

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Turbo 5.1 Google BRIGHT WHITE search box

Yes, Apex Launcher lets you change it, too. Thanks for the tip!

Posted via the Android Central App

kenmoffat

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
After a few days with 5.1 I have found no problems other than the ugly search bar color. Hope they fix it. I like what I have seen of Lollipop so far.

DetroitRed619

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I just finished installing the update and everything seems great but is there any way to change the Google bar at the top of the home screen? I liked it when it was transparent and I would love to have it like that again or even just take it off.

If you press down in empty space on home screen it will pop-up for wallpaper, widgets, and settings. Settings is where you can turn the Google search bar on and off.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I disabled it but at times it flashes "white" in the space it occupied on the home screen. Very annoying.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
That was annoying for me too. Nova launcher solved it and let me put other widgets in that spot too. In the past I have usually avoided adding launchers but now I love the customization I have

1cokezero

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

If you're using the stock launcher long press a blank area of any screen, touch settings. there you can remove the Google bar.

Thank you very much for this answer. I had to scroll down a long list of incorrect answers to find this. This correct one needs to be moved to the top. Thank you so much

Last edited:

lk1zhm

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Well then you can disable it in the launcher settings. Just tap long on some free space in home screen, swipe from bottom to top and disable it (should be the first option).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers