DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Removing the Google Search Bar

sazae

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I just finished installing the update and everything seems great but is there any way to change the Google bar at the top of the home screen? I liked it when it was transparent and I would love to have it like that again or even just take it off.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

I just finished installing the update and everything seems great but is there any way to change the Google bar at the top of the home screen? I liked it when it was transparent and I would love to have it like that again or even just take it off.
The only way it can be changed is if you are using a third-party launcher, such as Nova. However, you'll lose some functionality of the home screen settings/functions if you disable the stock launcher.

GESWhoseBack

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

The only way it can be changed is if you are using a third-party launcher, such as Nova. However, you'll lose some functionality of the home screen settings/functions if you disable the stock launcher.
this will take some getting use to and I have only had my phone for 3 weeks. Must feel really weird for some of you guys.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

If you're using the stock launcher long press a blank area of any screen, touch settings. there you can remove the Google bar.

chadastrophic

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the tip removing the searxh bar. Wish it allowed that space to be used by the clock. It'd be nice to push it up higher.

Bob-B

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Turbo 5.1 Google BRIGHT WHITE search box

Does anyone know a way to make the omni-present Google search box anything other than the bright white it is now with 5.1? With darker wallpaper it looks really bad. KitKat was much better.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Turbo 5.1 Google BRIGHT WHITE search box

Don't think there's a way to fix the color of it unfortunately. You could try using a different launcher like Nova, which would definitely allow you more customization.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Or you can touch and hold any blank spot then tap settings and disable it.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Or you can touch and hold any blank spot then tap settings and disable it.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

I like that bar but with a darker background its so ugly and rough on the eyes. I deleted that immediately, lol.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I just be the only person who uses that bar. I do so almost every day, sometimes several times.

The launcher action launcher 3 has a setting to change the color of the search bar, the folder background, and the app drawer background to go well with your background image. Nice feature...

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I love the search bar too and use it quite regularly...Just wish it was transparent like before.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

I did the update last night, played with it for a few hours and then again today. I want to mirror all the positive feedback so those who are patiently waiting to see if any issues before jumping, in a word JUMP! The update went without a hitch, smooth as silk. I love the new material design and 5.1 features. A word for those clamoring for a dark theme version: I originally was in that camp, but I think it is a vestigial concern we all have from days when battery drain was a constant concern. Its the future direction for Android so come into the light :) Everything pops now.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I did the update last night, played with it for a few hours and then again today. I want to mirror all the positive feedback so those who are patiently waiting to see if any issues before jumping, in a word JUMP! The update went without a hitch, smooth as silk. I love the new material design and 5.1 features. A word for those clamoring for a dark theme version: I originally was in that camp, but I think it is a vestigial concern we all have from days when battery drain was a constant concern. Its the future direction for Android so come into the light :) Everything pops now.

A white Google Search bar that's not even transparent is ridiculous. Its too bright and ruins the majority of wallpapers if we want to keep it. That's my biggest complaint more than anything since its on the home page.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

How about trying a third party launcher like Nova or KK Launcher, that will solve this issue for you. Give it a shot see how you like it :)

I've used those before but I always switch back. I bought my Turbo because of the total package. But with that said, I removed the search bar. I just don't understand why were not given customization choices on an OS that screams customization.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey