DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Can I go back to KitKat?

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Back to KItKat

nope

not unless you root (which hasnt fully been implimented to be 100%) and then flash a custom ROM (which probably doesnt even exist for this phone yet) or flash the kitkat image back to it

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

Yea, I didn't think so. It said in the update that you would not be able to downgrade after installation of 🍭.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64 via Tapatalk

Silent1

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I didn't think there was a way yet. I myself like it but the wife hates change and wants to go back.

makryger

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Back to kitkat.

So my phone, which was already upgraded to lollipop, sadly stopped working.. Touchscreen no longer touched. Ended up doing a somewhat painless warranty exchange with Motorola. I had grand plans to install a fresh version of lollipop, already clean and factory reset. I click on the update to begin downloading, and then I thought to myself... Wait, why am I really downloading this update? This time, I could make an informed decision based on my own personal preferences rather than others second hand reviews.

What did I like about lollipop on turbo? I liked the flashlight chop. I liked the double swipe down for settings. I liked that it told me estimated battery time left. And.. Ummm... That's about it.

What didn't I like? I didn't like the new look of the recent app screen. I didn't like the material design Google search (had to install an alternative launcher, which didn't work perfectly either). The battery life I felt was the same or slightly worse, one of the one things I was looking forward to as an improvement on lollipop. I don't like otherwise how they displayed the battery meter. I could no longer select specific ranges of times in the data monitor. It nagged me much more consistently to update the os (which I want to do on my own terms). The Bluetooth worked worse... It no longer displayed contact photos on my car, and had a lot of trouble connecting. The volume profiles I was getting used to, but were still confusing. I loved HD calling on kk- beautiful clear calls. But I had to turn it off on lollipop, because it would disconnect calls consistently in areas where it worked fine on kk. Ultimately, these were all problems I adjusted to, but it was a disappointing experience.

In full disclosure, I didn't have a lot of the problems others were having on kitkat- my Bluetooth worked, my battery life was great. My qi charger was one of the ones that charged accurately, etc.

So I guess in the end, I would say this: if you're happy with kit kat, don't just blindly update. Just because lollipop is new, it doesn't make it better. I was lucky in a sense that my phone broke, but in the usual case scenario, there is no turning back.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Back to kitkat.

Spoke to Moto yesterday and was told the update is no longer being pushed due to complaints. And they offered to send me a new phone that is on Kitkat and will not receive the update to lp.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Spoke to Moto yesterday and was told the update is no longer being pushed due to complaints. And they offered to send me a new phone that is on Kitkat and will not receive the update to lp.

Are you saying that if a Turbo hasn't already been updated to L it will now remain on KitKat? I'm not saying someone who doesn't know what they are talking about may have told you this, but I have to call BS. I know someone who just updated their Turbo to L today. If that was the case and Moto/VZW has suspended updating the Turbo to Lollipop some outlet would have caught that and published something about it.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Call bs all you want I could care less. Just telling what I was told. I guess I'll know for sure next week sometime when it gets here.
I hope they didn't lie to me because if so I will be selling it as soon as note 5 comes out. I sit here typing this on a KitKat turbo. I have never owned anything else but moto phones. So that would be terrible.

I wish someone would take some money and reach me how to root this one and keep KitKat and maybe lp but I don't know of anyone like that. PM me if you do. I'm outside Chicago gar west.

Last edited:

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

When I started a thread advocating patience and research before jumping to LP it was not well recieved. Over 10,000 views not one thank you. You would think suggesting that LP may not be all that great the equivalent of insulting someone's child.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Are you saying that if a Turbo hasn't already been updated to L it will now remain on KitKat? I'm not saying someone who doesn't know what they are talking about may have told you this, but I have to call BS.

There have been plenty of examples of Verizon tech support people spouting all sorts of statements that turn out to be untrue or mostly untrue. It may be so, but I doubt it. When the 2013 Moto X update on AT&T was pulled a few weeks ago, it was announced on G+ by David Schuster of Motorola (among other places). When the Droid Maxx 4.4 update was pulled in December 2013, it was announced all over the place as well. There has been no such news about the Turbo update, so I really doubt that it's been pulled.

Just for a few recent examples of incorrect Verizon tech support statements made about the Turbo, see

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-lollipop-software-update-39.html#post4436675
http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-lollipop-software-update-53.html#post4486951
https://plus.google.com/+RobWatkins/posts/MLBWx1SroJS

And, one from a Moto tech support person:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...o-lollipop-software-update-4.html#post4090952

Last edited:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes but I never said it was Verizon tech support. I've been around long enough to know this. It was a Motorola tech manager. Not having this argument with you. You are kinda trolling here. There's several posts I've made and the next one is you telling us how great the update is. Why can't you leave us to our opinions? I was only sharing what I had heard. Just give it a rest.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm definitely not trolling, I'm only pointing out that people report all sorts of things from both Verizon and Motorola phone support that turn out to be false. With examples. Other people read these forums and I think I'm allowed to opine that carrier and oem phone support is often unreliable for information like that.

I have never, ever said how great the update is.

My post was basically agreeing with Davidoo, but I guess we'll all see soon enough when you report back after receiving your phone?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I hope it works out for you as well. I completely believe they told you that, I just don't believe it is true.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

When I started a thread advocating patience and research before jumping to LP it was not well recieved. Over 10,000 views not one thank you.
Because your advice didn't apply to me, my wife, or any of my friends who updated their Turbos to Lollipop without a single problem. Why do you expect thanks for advice that isn't helpful or correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs