Help! Lollipop: Unfortunately, System UI has stopped. How can I fix this?

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Help! Lollipop: Unfortunately, System UI has stopped

HELP! I'm in trouble Turbo users and really could use some help here.

So I updated to Lollipop about an hour ago and was poking around trying to find any new options in 5.1. I went into Developer Options and turned on/off settings one by one to see what, if anything they did. I tried to tap on an option to turn it on (unfortunately I do not know what the option was because of what happened next. All I know is that the option was the one immediately under the margins option -- or whatever the option is called that puts the red and blue brackets around all the words, etc on the screen(I think it was called margins but everything happened so fast I don't recall exactly)) and the screen went blank then came back with the default background (which I do not use) then went blank and came back with this message: "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" [ok]

I tried restarting my phone. Same thing. I get past the Droid welcome screen and then "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" [ok]. Pressing [ok] only makes the box go away for a second and then reappear. My phone will not boot past that message box. I can turn off the phone and get to the Fastboot screen (power + vol down).

Is there anything I can do short of a complete factory wipe? I really don't want to do that unless its necessary!

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Help! Lollipop: Unfortunately, System UI has stopped

There's a thread in XDA. Same issue. I just checked it and the only thing they came up with was factory reset. Sorry, hope this helps

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think a reset is what you are going to have to do. It isn't fun, but I don't know of any other way.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

Thanks guys. Arrg! This is exactly what I was afraid of with Lollipop! I told myself that I wasn't going to update the OS until people had reported back with bugs/issues/etc and then I went ahead and did it anyway. I'm really kicking myself right now. My curiosity got the better of me.

mobrules, I found that XDA thread you mentioned, that is exactly what I did.
WARNING TO ALL: DO NOT enable "Force RTL Layout" in Lollipop!!

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks guys. Arrg! This is exactly what I was afraid of with Lollipop! I told myself that I wasn't going to update the OS until people had reported back with bugs/issues/etc and then I went ahead and did it anyway. I'm really kicking myself right now. My curiosity got the better of me.

mobrules, I found that XDA thread you mentioned, that is exactly what I did.
WARNING TO ALL: DO NOT enable "Force RTL Layout" in Lollipop!!
Or, leave 'Developer Options' settings alone, unless you know exactly what they do. A simple 'google' search is betting than poking around. Btw, not intended as a scolding, I've done stoopid dabbling and screwed myself, to.

Kelsey Larrick

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

I literally just did the same thing, I am freaking out right now lol and I am never looking at anything under that category again!!! I am clueless as to what to do though since it won't show anything but the black screen and the random screen it occasionally shows, what did you do to fix it?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I literally just did the same thing, I am freaking out right now lol and I am never looking at anything under that category again!!! I am clueless as to what to do though since it won't show anything but the black screen and the random screen it occasionally shows, what did you do to fix it?

Search on motorola's web site on how to do a factory data reset from recovery.

Dear everybody: unless you are a developer or know what you are doing, DON'T PLAY AROUND ITH DEVELOPER OPTIONS.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

From Moto's website: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102362/p/30,6720,9277

I feel for you Kelsey, been there, done that. On the plus side, the phone works just fine after the factory reset!

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I made this same mistake yesterday. Shame on me. I've tried all I can think of to fix it. I've tried to wipe the cache and run the Verizon Repair tool, remote install backup utilities that I can access remotely, and simply just plugging the phone into a computer to see if it would show up as a drive. But no luck here. I can deal with doing a factory reset, but I can't seem to find a way to backup my photos first. I have pretty much everything else in the cloud, except my photos. Does anybody know of a way to get data backed up first?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Or, leave 'Developer Options' settings alone, unless you know exactly what they do. A simple 'google' search is betting than poking around. Btw, not intended as a scolding, I've done stoopid dabbling and screwed myself, to.

It's stupid to blame the user on this, it's not a Developer Option issue. It's a major bug! I did this almost too easily by mistake while scrolling for USB debugging which is necessary to enable for many apps including important things like backups.

"Force RTL Layout" is not an option that you would normally worry about, in fact there is no warning when you choose the option (unlike other Dev Options) because it's not a big deal. It's a right-to-left layout if you're left handed and can be useful to many people. I'm not even sure why this is a Dev Option, it's really a user option. You can read about it more here:

Enable Android's Secret Right-to-Left Layout If You're Left Handed

Voltusaur

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I made this same mistake yesterday. Shame on me. I've tried all I can think of to fix it. I've tried to wipe the cache and run the Verizon Repair tool, remote install backup utilities that I can access remotely, and simply just plugging the phone into a computer to see if it would show up as a drive. But no luck here. I can deal with doing a factory reset, but I can't seem to find a way to backup my photos first. I have pretty much everything else in the cloud, except my photos. Does anybody know of a way to get data backed up first?

Your photos won't go anywhere as long as they're not in the /data folder.

Voltusaur

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Internal storage is wiped when you factory data reset on a Droid turbo, so, yes, they are all erased.

It is not required to wipe the internal storage. By using fastboot commands, it is possible to keep all data intact, while erasing all app data.

EDIT: My apologies.. I realize that there is no option to erase the /data partition separately.

Last edited:

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

A quick update with what I ended up doing. After consulting multiple websites, friends, Verizon and Motorola Level 2 support, I wasn't left with any other options, other than to do a factory reset. I had hoped that I could use Recuva to restore data, but that is when I learned that the mass storage device option had been removed from android a few versions ago so I was unable to do a low level scan of the internal memory, using Recuva on my PC. I also tried the demo version of Dr. Fone, but that told me that is was unable to do anything without root. In the end, I think I tried everything I possibly could think of without getting too experimental and beyond my skill level on my phone. I lost my photos. Lesson learned, use the cloud and/or do backups frequently.

The most frustrating part was that the OS was running just fine in the background, it's just that the UI kept crashing. I was able to use moto voice, but the screen lock held me up. I ended up using the Moto Device Manager website to change my password from a pattern to a pin so I could speak the pin using moto voice. Unfortunately, it would not seem to recognize the digits I was speaking. Maybe if I could have gotten the device unlocked, I could have used a USB cable successfully, or drilled into the settings via voice commands. I may or may not have been close, but finally just gave up on day 3.

Hopefully this bug gets fixed soon.

sills13

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I had this exact problem and found this forum when looking for solutions. As I opened boot loader to go reset my phone, I heard the windows device connected sound as I had my phone plugged in to my computer to look for a drive. It was too late for me, as before I could react the phone had reset, but you may be able to access your photos or something if you go to boot loader. I'm inexperienced and am most likely wrong, but you can try it as a last resort if anyone comes across this thread with this problem.:'(

kart180

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
had the same system ui not responding. according to the crash report, it is throwing an IO exception, as a programmer, i can tell you java is a good lanagune but this is just poorly coded, google should of sorted it out before pushing the update, im using CM12 OWkZKCI.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

the same exact thing happened, i went to verizon and there going to replace it

Wait - you turned on that rtl option in developer options to cause this to happen and they're going to warranty exchange your phone? Or did this problem continue after a factory data reset?

androidzen

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
here is the solution 1.in the quick setting panel put your phone in Ultra Power Saving mode (U.power saving) and return to normal after (this error problem is because google play service have a kind of bug after update with some apps 2.try to uninstal the update from google play service(in playstore) 3.go search google play service and report this problem in the same zone (playstore) thank you!