Automation apps can't turn of mobile data anymore?

tmcmack

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
TL;DR: After the 5.1 upgrade, my automation apps can't turn off mobile data anymore. That was how I was stopping beeps while I was sleeping. How do I get the phone to go completely silent except for phone calls overnight?

My goal: phone goes silent during set night hours; the only thing that can get it to make noise is a phone call or alarm. It would also be convenient to be able to toggle that mode on or off manually. Anyone else have a simple solution for this sort of thing? I need it to be 100% effective in shutting up every single app and beep, and so far the only way I've found to do that is to turn off all data connections.

Would the new 5.1 "Downtime" option fix this problem? On the Interruptions settings page, I could set only phone calls to be priority interruptions, and then set only priority interruptions to come up during quiet hours. Would that really stop all apps, or just those that play nice? Can't seem to trigger that downtime time manually, though.

I've been using Battery drain analyzer free to set up a silent mode at night. It has a simple night and day setting, where at a set time, it can turn things off or on. So every night at bedtime, it turns off wifi, sync, and mobile data, so the only things that could really happen are phone calls and text messages. (I'd like to silence texts, too, but have not figured that out.) Then it all comes back on at a set time in the morning. Simple and straightforward -- that's all I want. It's also convenient to be able to hit the "night" button if I go to bed early or sleep past the usual wakeup time, or to hit the "day" button if I wake up early.

But with the update to 5.1, that app doesn't automatically turn off mobile data anymore. I've also noticed that my Power Toggles notification bar button no longer turns off mobile data with one click; instead it sends me to the settings page for mobile data, where I click again to turn off mobile data. There's no option in Automate It, either.

I'm guessing that this is a settings change in 5.1. Before I start fiddling with other apps, has anyone else had the problem that they're not able to automate turning mobile data off anymore?

Last edited:

tmcmack

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Automate? It should be able to toggle mobile data on all Android version, however root is required since Lollipop.
That would be great if we had root on the Turbo.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If Automate will do it then Tasker should too, but since I haven't updated to Lollipop yet (no reason to), I can't try it.

tmcmack, 5.1 can't be rooted, but mofo will root earlier versions.

If someone would tell me how to pull images off the phone in a format that can be used to flash the phone with them, and lend me a Turbo for about an hour, you'd have root. On any phone, with any version of Android still based on Linux. It's really trivial - you just have to drop a single file into a folder - that you can't do while the phone is running. But you can do it to an image of the phone's system sitting in a file on a computer and then flash that image back - and the phone is rooted. And they can't "patch" that unless they totally rewrite Linux - and for THAT Linus would probably call a large law firm. That would be pure theft of intellectual property. It's the one root method they can't do anything about.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Tasker does not toggle data anymore. Neither does automateit or macro Droid. I'm sure there's more that I don't know about.

Verizon admitted to me they requested this change. I have an lte nexus 9 that is not on Verizon and it still works there. I have posted this before but I believe the reason is so people will use more data. I have to manually shut down data and restrict background data every night. Mark my words people will need to increase data plans in about 2 weeks.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Automation apps? Are you talking about the options in the pull down menu? I have the option to turn off mobile data from there...

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, apps that can automate your phone with scripts you write. Like when the phone connects to your home wifi it turns off the screen lock, turns off mobile data and announces that it did. Evidently those apps can't control mobile data in 5.1 without rooting.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If in sleep mode, a caller calls twice within two minutes, it will ring thru. At least on KK. I used XDA forums to disable the "Motorola OTA" app. So no lollipop and no annoying reminder. Took two minutes to do. All my relatives know to call twice in an emergency!

DRoID TuRBo this...

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If in sleep mode, a caller calls twice within two minutes, it will ring thru. At least on KK. I used XDA forums to disable the "Motorola OTA" app. So no lollipop and no annoying reminder. Took two minutes to do. All my relatives know to call twice in an emergency!

DRoID TuRBo this...

Smart, I didn't know any better. I've had about enough of it too. Went to us cellular to look at plans today. Gonna check att tomorrow. It bugs me so bad I would even be giving up my unlimited plan.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz