So now that we have seen the new moto x.. hopes/worries for the droid?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The title pretty much sums it up. What are your hopes or worries now about the possible new droid coming up?

I hope the battery is still 3900 or bigger.

I hope its not 5.7 inch screen, the 5.2 to me is better, if im going to have the bigger screen i might as well have my note 4 back.

I wonder (but not picky) about on screen buttons or captive ones.

Hope the new screen handles moto display well without being a battery hog.

I can go either way on the sdcard.

That's all i can think of now. What do you think?

Oh, and im sold on turbo charging, don't need wireless but cant see them removing it.

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The title pretty much sums it up. What are your hopes or worries now about the possible new droid coming up?

I hope the battery is still 3900 or bigger.

I hope its not 5.7 inch screen, the 5.2 to me is better, if im going to have the bigger screen i might as well have my note 4 back.

I wonder (but not picky) about on screen buttons or captive ones.

Hope the new screen handles moto display well without being a battery hog.

I can go either way on the sdcard.

That's all i can think of now. What do you think?

Oh, and im sold on turbo charging, don't need wireless but cant see them removing it.

I have a feeling that the Droid will be designed as a beefed up Moto Play, therefore with a 5.5 screen but with higher resolution.

I like the look of the Play so it wouldn't be a bad thing.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
After this year's update fiasco, and last year's with the Droid Maxx, there is not a chance in the world that I will buy a Droid brand phone again. The only phone that looks good this year is the new Moto X - which can be unlocked, and still run on Verizon - but I think is way too big for me.

But, for the rest of Droid fans, I hope that the new Droid phone(s):

- has a camera that focuses and captures high quality photos right away
- is smaller rather than larger
- still has a big battery
- don't care about buttons one way or the other, but, at this point, onscreen is probably a better idea
- SD card - why not?
- still is close to stock
- a fingerprint sensor would be nice to go with Android Pay, but, based on the new X, I kind of doubt it

I almost think it would be better to hold off until January and ship with Android M but I doubt that VZW wants to give up holiday sales, so that probably won't happen.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention i love the idea of stereo speakers, i listen to music on my phone when im getting ready for work in the evening and dont always want to connect to my BT speaker

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to mention i love the idea of stereo speakers, i listen to music on my phone when im getting ready for work in the evening and dont always want to connect to my BT speaker

Or how about even 1 quality speaker? Stereo would be nice but 2 crappy speakers isn't that much better.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hopes for the new Droid:

--the camera has optical image stabilization and improved software, bringing it in line with Samsung and Apple phone cameras
--it has an SD card slot (If not, then 128 GB internal storage)
--has 4 GB of RAM (why not?)
--the battery is at least 3900 mAh
--screen size is same size or not much bigger than the current Droid and is 1440X2560 with more brightness in sunlight
--it has stereo speakers
--it has built in AM/FM stereo radio
--is available in many colors
--the vibrate mechanism is stronger

Worries for the new Droid:
--camera will not be quite as good as other flagship phone cameras
--screen will be too big
--screen will be 1080X1920, like the new Moto X Play (unlikely, but you never know...)
--battery will be reduced in size, ala the Moto X Style

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My guess:
5.5" Screen (qhd)
Processor and RAM same as Pure/Style
SD card--probably, better not take that out
Battery--at least 3600-upwards of 4000
Maybe a tweak to the camera--OIS? But I kind of doubt it.

In other words, a Pure/Style-Play hybrid/marriage so to speak.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The camera is an obvious issue. What I don't understand is why Moto didn't put a bigger battery in the Style. Also, I wonder why they didn't incorporate water resistance into the Style when they are putting it in the G.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The camera is an obvious issue. What I don't understand is why Moto didn't put a bigger battery in the Style. Also, I wonder why they didn't incorporate water resistance into the Style when they are putting it in the G.

The style has the nano coating, all motorola phones have had it for years. The website shows it but points out its not a waterproofing.

As far as the battery, they def should have. A 3300mah would have been a minimum for me.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
After this year's update fiasco, and last year's with the Droid Maxx
Could you please be specific about the nature of these "fiascoes"? I haven't had a single problem, and I had both a Droid Maxx which I traded in for a Droid Turbo. Not a single fiasco. My wife had the same two phones and also, no fiascoes.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the fiasco being referred to is the fact that the Turbo was released in October 2014 as "upgradeable to Lollipop" which many people kind of took as that it would be upgraded "soon" when in fact it took 9 months.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the fiasco being referred to is the fact that the Turbo was released in October 2014 as "upgradeable to Lollipop" which many people kind of took as that it would be upgraded "soon" when in fact it took 9 months.

Thats exactly right. Personally i dont see it as a fiasco, the droid did get 5.1, because they didnt want to release 5.0 when there were issues with it.

I think the droid turbo is a great phone, on either kitkat or 5.1. And while the wait seemed to take forever, i respected the fact they didnt rush and release it before it was ready.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Could you please be specific about the nature of these "fiascoes"? I haven't had a single problem, and I had both a Droid Maxx which I traded in for a Droid Turbo. Not a single fiasco. My wife had the same two phones and also, no fiascoes.

The Droid Maxx 4.4 update had a few minor bugs (the double home was one) but one major one - for many people who lost network connectivity, the phone would log out of all of your Google accounts and not log back in again. I had three accounts on my phone at the time, two with two factor authentication, so it was a pain in the neck when this happened. (I live in a place with weak signal, so it happened often enough. Thankfully, it didn't happen all of the time to me, though I know of at least one person who had this happen daily.) 4.4 was released in December 2013. It took until the 4.4.4 update in July to fix the problem.

Seven months to fix a bug. A very long time for the Turbo. I do not trust Verizon to provide timely updates or patches (when required) for the Droid brand phones.

Motorola does seem to update the non-carrier X phones quickly, so the new phone should be great. Again, too bad it's too large for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad