Disabling Apps.

Iam3697

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I had a recent update that updated all my apps. My Droid Turbo that I bought about a month ago came with 54 apps. All of them you can only disable not uninstall since it is part of the OS from what I understand. When apps are updated does it take up more space or more anything? Where you can disable the app there is an option to "uninstall update". Should I uninstall the update before disabling the app to save room? Or does it matter? I just don't want to have anything take up more space or battery power then necessary. About half of those apps I'm not going to use so I'll be disabling them.

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Some people disable apps they cannot uninstall, the thinking, they will not load into memory and will not update. It makes sense to them. I guess it depends on the brand of OCD your brain subscribes to...LOL.. the thought of having "old non-updated apps" taking up space on my phone is worse for me.... I kinda think...well if I ever go to use it, I want the most updated version on my phone. Either way they really take a minimal amount of space when you think of it...Nexus next time for me :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Some people disable apps they cannot uninstall, the thinking, they will not load into memory and will not update. It makes sense to them. I guess it depends on the brand of OCD your brain subscribes to...LOL.. the thought of having "old non-updated apps" taking up space on my phone is worse for me....

But when they update, both the original, older version and the newer, updated version are on the phone. So, it does take up more space.

I definitely disabled some apps I know I will never use but which I have seen take up RAM and CPU (and battery) resources when I look at battery stats.

Either way they really take a minimal amount of space when you think of it...

Yep, this is true. Even the worst app is maybe 100 MB, which is a few songs or photos only. On a 32 GB phone it's almost a rounding error (31.9 MB is almost 32 GB, after all.)

Iam3697

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Some people disable apps they cannot uninstall, the thinking, they will not load into memory and will not update. It makes sense to them. I guess it depends on the brand of OCD your brain subscribes to...LOL.. the thought of having "old non-updated apps" taking up space on my phone is worse for me.... I kinda think...well if I ever go to use it, I want the most updated version on my phone. Either way they really take a minimal amount of space when you think of it...Nexus next time for me :)

Well with at least half of these apps I know for sure I will never use them. If I ever change my mind then I'll enable and update. The space taken up on it is only partly why I want to disable some of them. The other reason is I don't need any other apps on my app pages to scroll through when I'm trying to find an app. The more apps I disable, they disappear from the apps pages, and the quicker I can find the app I'm looking for. That's how I see it.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't many apps run processes in the background even if you aren't using them? That's why I have always disabled some apps I know I won't use.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't many apps run processes in the background even if you aren't using them? That's why I have always disabled some apps I know I won't use.

Yep, sometimes they do, but only services run in the background. Apps themselves that don't look for data will never run - they'll just stay suspended.

Again, those are the ones that I disabled myself - ones that I would never use that were showing up in battery usage stats.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge