OK Google or OK Moto conflict, how can I get them to work in harmony?

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
OK Google or OK Moto conflict

When I first got my Turbo I discovered that if I set up the Moto voice recognition (i.e. OK Moto) that I could not use OK Goggle voice recognition from any screen. To resolve this I decided to turn off Moto and used Google instead and things were OK for a while. The other day however, I tried to use OK Google and it wouldn't work and I later determined that Moto had reset itself and once again was in conflict with Google. Once again, I turned off Moto and reset Google to work but this was frustrating to me to have to be resetting Moto every time the Moto App gets updated. I thought that I could remove Moto entirely by uninstalling it but it's an imbedded application.

So my question are as follows:

What's really better OK Google or OK Moto and why if it's OK Moto?
If Moto is better and I turn off OK Google, what, if anything will I loose?
How are other Turbo users handling this OK Google/OK Moto conflict if Moto resets itself with each updated?

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: OK Google or OK Moto conflict

Don't have a conflict, here. Delete app data for each from settings>apps, uninstall updates, reboot, install updates. Any settings lost from the data delete can be quickly reset.

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

What I was referring to was the configuration of OK Google. If you attempt to setup Google voice recognition to work on any screen you do so by turning that option on in Google's setting but at that point, the setup wants you to say "OK Google" 3 times. If you have voice recognition enabled in MOTO's settings, the Google setup will fail with a message indicating that the microphone is disabled and that you need to restart your phone. Restarting does nothing and you know the microphone itself is not disabled because you can make phone calls. It seems that by enabling voice recognition with the MOTO app it disables the ability to use Google's voice recognition ability from any screen. If, however, you go in and disable the MOTO voice recognition in that apps settings, you can immediately go in and enable the Google voice recognition so it works on any screen as you can then successfully train the phone to recognize your voice. Note that this is not the same functionality as pressing the microphone on the Google bar at the top of the screen on your Turbo as that functionality will still work with or without Moto's voice recognition turned on.

My concern basically comes down to a question of which apps voice recognition is better, Moto or Google for hands free operation? The picture I'm getting from elsewhere is that Moto's is better as it was specifically designed for Motorola hardware and causes less battery drain that Google's more generic app. From what I've been told elsewhere, Moto's voice commands are just as robust as Googles so others are telling me to turn the voice recognition functionality on the Moto app back on and forget about Google's. Does anyone have any input on this?

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

I use Moto. It routes through Google Now. I've never had an issue.
My OK Moto transfers to OK Google so I disabled OK Moto.. The OK Moto just allowed you to be able to wake the phone or verbally use the phone with a different term

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

My OK Moto transfers to OK Google so I disabled OK Moto.. The OK Moto just allowed you to be able to wake the phone or verbally use the phone with a different term

It's really not called OK Moto, it's called Moto Voice. And, it allows a lot more than just waking the phone with a different term. You can have it read unread notifications ("what's up"), take a selfie (for what that's worth), take a photo, make a noise if you've misplaced the phone ("find my phone"). If you've turned on sleep mode in the Moto app, "Goodnight" puts it in make no noise sleep mode. There are a few more ("navigate home" will start Google maps navigation; "talk to me" will announce incoming calls and texts for 30 minutes). Anything else it passes on to the Google Search app.

So, it can do anything that OK Google can do, plus a few things more, plus it listens for the phrase with the display turned off.