How do I disable mic on Droid Turbo?

ggeiken

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I want to take full advantage of HD video camera on my Droid Turbo, and found an external lavalier lapel microphone (Audio Technica 3350iS, which comes with an adapter for "smartphones including iPhone and newer Android phones"). But even when I use the adapter, the video recorder will only use the phone's on board mic. How can I disable/mute the onboard mic? Scoured the interweb, and at one point there was a perfect app "Mute Mic", but the NSA or Google or Motorola decided it was too useful to live. Any help appreciated.

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My well need to use a non-stock camera app for that. The OE camera app isn't open-minded enough to believe in external sound source, I'd wager.

ggeiken

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. If anyone else should happen along with any other insight, or a camera app recommendation that allows for an external mic, I'd be deeply indebted. Cannot fathom why something so simple should be unattainable on such a powerful device. I've never had illusions that I pick the best cutting edge mobiles, but I was really enjoying the beefy specs of the Turbo until now. This is just stupid.

ggeiken

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
An update, should anyone else come upon this issue:

I found a third party camera app, igCamera, that is able to recognize and use the external AT3350iS mic. It is an otherwise so-so video camera, not overly well designed and polluted with mini popup ads in the viewfinder.
A much better camera app, the Cinima FV-5 lite, would be ideal, and even shows an external mic icon on the screen when I plug in the lavalier mic, but does not recognize it, and no amount of menu twiddling will uncover a place where I can select it manually.
Still, with igCamera I can now record HD video with near broadcast (or podcast) quality sound, and I guess can say "problem solved". But if anyone has additional insight or is using an external mic rig with their Turbo that they think is a better setup, I'm all ears. Thank you, Einsteindks, for your reply.

Scott Bendure

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for posting this! I have a Droid Turbo. I was unsuccessful using both those apps you mentioned with this mic:
iGear Lavalier Lapel Microphone Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Mic for Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Samsung Android & Windows Smartphones Film Interviews Video Recording(1.5 Meters Cable) (1.5M)

Next I will purchase the mic you mentioned:
Audio-Technica ATR3350iS Microphone for Smartphones

Thanks!

Scott Bendure

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Still not working with the Audio-Technica ATR3350iS on my Droid Turbo. I guess I need to try other apps. I tested the mic with an external recorder, the zoom h1, works fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon