Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: marshmellow update?

More like most of us are glutten-for-punishment, die-hard Motorola loyalists who've become used to being, um, 'shafted'.

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

I think for those of us early buyers who waited so long for the L update in 2015, which post mortem was a good decision because of early glitches with L 5.0, we are just not anticipating anything different for M. I believe it will come, as Moto says, but timing who knows.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I think this is the first smartphone I've owned where people aren't screaming bloody murder en masse because they don't have the latest upgrade yet. Maybe because so many got burned by 5.0? Kinda weird...

Posted via Moto Turbo

Maybe cause everything is working and an update usually brings problems?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe cause everything is working and an update usually brings problems?

That's never stopped people before... I can go back into forums of pretty much every smartphone I've ever owned up until the Turbo and read the progression of complaints about why isn't the upgrade here, they are breaking their promises, I'll never buy from them again, the upgrade has been out for X months and we still don't have it.... then along comes the desperately-desired upgrade, immediately followed by a progression of complaints that it destroyed my battery life, WiFi doesn't work like it should, why did they take this feature out... etc etc etc. It's been as predictable as the sun rising in the morning, and, if you manage to step back a bit for perspective, almost hilarious! I'm kind of missing the show...

Posted via Moto Turbo

Last edited:

Omlu Omlu

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. I was on the forums daily awaiting info about L, but now I'm ok with whatever.

Posted via the Android Central App

zen45

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm glad they get most of the bugs out before a release , but there will still be a few and people will yell they released it to early lol

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

More like most of us are glutten-for-punishment, die-hard Motorola loyalists who've become used to being, um, 'shafted'.

It'll get Marshmallow after the Moto X Pure Edition (third gen), Moto G (third gen), Moto E (second gen, non-US), DROID TURBO 2, DROID MAXX 2. The newer phones always become the priority.

Jason Smith28

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

I don't know even if the Droid Turbo will get 6.0. I do know that this is the first and last Motorola phone I get. Seriously delayed updates despite running near stock Android, poor communication from Moto, poor audio quality/volume, and battery life that does not live up to its promise despite routine use. No excuse for this cavalier treatment of its customers.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: marshmallow turbo, light that camp fire.

cue the i want marshmallow, when marshmallow, whats taking so long- they are always screwing us, marshmallow screwed up my phone, marshmallow is great, how do i go back to lollipop?, how do i block marshmallow update?..... threads

Hahah! You said it so well. That's the exact order in which it goes on here. Sorry folks but it's true. I've been with Android long enough and I understand and accept how updates go that I just wait for it to pop up on my screen. I then download it and be happy. It's not that hard.

MNSnowman

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Upgrade to marshmallow

My Verizon contract expires in less than 2 months. If the upgrade comes before the contract expires, I'll stick around. But if it doesn't, I'll buy a Nexus 6P and move to Project Fi.

Just to close the loop, I moved from Verizon to Project Fi a month earlier than I'd planned and bought the 6P.

The new phone has some nice features and the larger size is not an issue. I appreciate not having bloatware from Verizon. The loss of Moto's software was a very minor inconvenience. The rapid charging works very well and slightly better than the Turbo's rapid charges.

Marshmallow works very well; however it's an incremental improvement and not(IMO) earth-shattering. The monthly upgrades are nice to have and pain free. Knowing I'll have "N" (Nougat?) when it's released is also nice. I guess I'm a sucker for the bright and shiny when it comes to an OS.

The biggest change is Project Fi and so far it's all for the good. My monthly service cost after refund for unused mobile data is less than half of what Verizon's would have been had I stayed. The need for Customer Service is lower but Fi's CS is superb when I've needed it: responsive, friendly, and easily accessed. Switching between T-mobile and Sprint Networks is transparent as is using wifi for calls. Best decision I've made.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
My personal prediction:
Verizon and Motorola may skip Android 6.0 "Marshmallow" and go straight to Android 7.0 "Nutella" (I hate that name, but it's inevitable at this point) similar to how they skipped 5.0 and went straight to 5.1, only this time it's not the bugs that would be a problem, it's time.

Posted via the Android Central App

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Upgrade to marshmallow

... The new phone has some nice features and the larger size is not an issue. I appreciate not having bloatware from Verizon. The loss of Moto's software was a very minor inconvenience. The rapid charging works very well and slightly better than the Turbo's rapid charges...

The big question is... how is the battery life? I've never seen a phone attainable in the US whose battery life could compare to the Turbo (possibly the Turbo 2). Is the 6P comparable? What about the other Nexus phones? Worse battery life than the Turbo is a dealbreaker for me at this point.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 6p battery is almost the same size as the Turbo's. That doesn't always mean anything, and I have no experience with it, but I do know that Droid brand phones seem to underperform in battery life based on the size of the battery, I think because of all of the low power princesses (active display, drive mode [the phone is monitoring when you exceed 15 mph], etc.)

I'd also be interested to hear from somebody who has used both the Turbo and the 6p for significant periods whether the battery life is close.

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have both the 6p and the turbo and they are very similar in battery life. There are things I miss about the turbo, mainly the moto display rather than the active display on the 6p. However, no bloat from Verizon, the fingerprint reader, and marshmallow have me hooked on the 6p. I keep my turbo charged and updated in case I need to swap out the SIM and use it.

mbilek

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
In talking with Moto Level III support 10 days ago, Marshmallow was to roll out to the DROID Turbo 2 within the next two weeks. It did, as the roll out happened today, 4/17/16. Support also said that the DROID Turbo roll out would come shortly after that. I pressed on "shortly" and there was silence.

Sorry, I couldn't provide more info.

markbilek

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Support also said that the DROID Turbo roll out would come shortly after that. I pressed on "shortly" and there was silence.

I'd be a little surprised if they updated the Turbo before the Maxx 2. Not 100% surprised, but I'd think they'd do the newer phones first. (The Turbo was probably a bigger seller than the Maxx 2, though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret