What other phone is most like Turbo

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Turbo since last November and love it as well as the Moto features. Unlike many here I've had almost none of the issues I read about. This is by far the best phone I've ever used. Unfortunately, it's a work provided phone and I was just told we're switching to AT&T because that's the only network that covers the boss's house. He wants all our service on the same bill which obviously makes sense. So, it's time to shop phones again. I'm considering the Nexus 6, Moto X Pure, and possibly one of the new Nexus units. I have a feeling this move is going to go down very soon so I'm not sure about the new ones as I can't seem to find a date when they'll start shipping?

I'm assuming the X Pure is the most similar to the Turbo and the little bit of research I've had time to do this morning suggests the X Pure will work on AT&T's network but the rep at the store says it won't?

Does the Nexus 6 use any of the Moto Assist features or have similar substitutes? What I like or use most often:
•display approach to see time and notifications
•chop-chop for flashlight (use this multiple times a day)
•sleeping mode (this is stock in Lollipop now, right)
•attentive display (where the screen won't shut off while you're viewing it)

With my Turbo approaching a year old, I've noticed a pretty serious drop-off in battery performance so I'm worried about the much smaller battery in the X Pure (and the Nexus 6 for that matter)

Are there any other phones I should be considering? I'm NOT a fan of anything Samsung.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So, there was just some stories lately that the Nexus 6P and the Nexus 5X were using twist to launch the camera, but now that is no longer working. I think that the chop gesture is Motorola only.

Motorola has already announced that they will not have Moto assist (and Moto Connect and Moto Migrate) for Marshmallow. So, the Pure will have those features for now, but not with M. See Marshmallow and S’more - The Official Motorola Blog

While that explanation is Motorola's side, there was also this story from a few months ago: Lenovo cuts jobs at Motorola, eliminates team responsible for Moto Voice, Moto Display - Liliputing

Now the Chicago Tribune reports Lenovo is planning to layoff about 25 percent of Motorola’s Chicago-based employees, which means eliminating about 500 jobs..... But Phandroid notes that some of the cuts include the Motorola software and services team — which means some of the folks losing their jobs are the people behind the Moto Voice, Moto Display, Moto Assist, and other software designed to bring touchless controls, subtle notifications, and other features first introduced on the original Moto X.

So, maybe the choice to eliminate those features has more to do with Lenovo cost-cutting?

The Moto X Pure will work on AT&T. Whoever said that it wouldn't was confused or misinformed. See Moto X Pure Edition (2015) - Unlocked Smartphone - Motorola

With quick charging, I'm not sure that battery is as much of a worry as it used to be. I plug my phone is overnight, then I go for a run every morning and then plug in while I shower. I plug in whenever I'm in the car. It's a very rare occurrence when I don't have the ability to plug in for a few minutes at some point during the day. Maybe you don't have those opportunities, but I think that most of us do, and quick charging allows the battery to replenish amazingly fast.

Unless those Moto features are truly critical, the Nexus 6p is a good choice, as is the 5x. Otherwise, I think that the Moto X Pure is your only choice really.

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You might try your ATT sim in the phone From a thread at XDA developers:

Yes I put my ATT sim in the phone.
It comes up with a warning that the*sim card*you're using is not from*Verizon.
You can dismiss it and notice that you will see*AT&Tinstead of*Verizon*Wireless at the bottom of the home screen.
The data icon shows 3G but speeds are more like HSPA+ speeds.
Voice and SMS not a problem.
I did not try sending a video in a text though.
APNs can be set and even after I did I did not see a 4GLTE icon.

Posted via the Android Central App