Houston, I Have a Problem

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Droid Turbo since roughly the first month Verizon released it. Now, when I leave my house, my WiFi is "turning itself on" after I disable it and switch to data.

Again, I've owned this phone for a long time, and yesterday and today are the first occurrences of this happening. Are there apps that possibly will turn WiFi on as part of their "permissions?" Is there a feature I accidentally turned on? I'm struggling to surmise an answer.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Location services probably. I believe there is a setting in advanced wifi settings (always available or something like that) that will toggle the radio on for location even if you have turned it off, except for airplane mode.

But - why turn off wifi? It doesn't use much battery when it's not connected.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. WiFi doesn't consume much battery, but it does consume some. I always try and keep my phone set up so that I can prolong my battery life as long as possible.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If by saying "leave the house" you mean that you are driving, just plug it in as you drive. You'll get a lot more battery life from that compared to the negligible amount you'll save by turning off wifi. Plus, of course, location services are more battery efficient with wifi and cellular triangulation than when the gps radio comes on.

It's your phone, so of course do as you wish, but one of the reasons I'd buy a phone with a battery as big as the turbo is so I don't have to turn stuff off to get through the day. It's so much easier not to worry about that crap all the time.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If by saying "leave the house" you mean that you are driving, just plug it in as you drive. You'll get a lot more battery life from that compared to the negligible amount you'll save by turning off wifi. Plus, of course, location services are more battery efficient with wifi and cellular triangulation than when the gps radio comes on.

It's your phone, so of course do as you wish, but one of the reasons I'd buy a phone with a battery as big as the turbo is so I don't have to turn stuff off to get through the day. It's so much easier not to worry about that crap all the time.

The amount of business emails and client calls gets me to ~20% by day's end. So I try and nickel and dime as much juice as I can.

I am a physicist director for an aerospace defense firm and it involves a lot of walking around a 1,100,000 ft^2 plant so having it charge at my desk is very difficult. I use my car charger when going home. It's only a 20 minute commute.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha. Remember that even 10 minutes of turbo charging when the charge is below 70 some percent gets you a lot of battery % increase. Get a turbo car charger and that 20 minute ride will boost the battery a lot.

But, look at settings , wifi , advanced settings. I think there is a setting "scanning always available" that keeps the wifi radio on for location even if ups turn it off. Check to see if that setting is on.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
And the WiFi issue is still persisting. I'm suspicious it's an app causing the issue. I'll try and isolate the app. If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll need to do a factory reset.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha. Remember that even 10 minutes of turbo charging when the charge is below 70 some percent gets you a lot of battery % increase. Get a turbo car charger and that 20 minute ride will boost the battery a lot.

But, look at settings , wifi , advanced settings. I think there is a setting "scanning always available" that keeps the wifi radio on for location even if ups turn it off. Check to see if that setting is on.

Good point about the Turbo Charger. I'm not getting those results anymore. It takes longer to charge. The battery is over a year old. I can check it (the charger) with a multimeter and see how many volts it's pushing out. Less than 4.5 V could be a problem. I'm out of warranty on everything pertaining to my Turbo.

I do, however, receive 25% off of my line charge and I get 25% off accessories in a Verizon corporate store because of where I work.

If I had to purchase a new phone because my Turbo's battery is shot, I'll be upset. Verizon hasn't put a phone on their shelves that I really like. On the plus side, I do also have an LG G4 that works great. I may use that until I'm upgrade eligible.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
You actually can replace the battery on the Turbo. Not as easy as it used to be with ones that just popped out, but I saw a video someone made right after the Turbo came out that showed it wasn't that hard. Probably one of those phone repair stores that are popping up everywhere could do it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234