Battery Drain Over Night is Much Worse

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Lately my battery has been draining significantly worse when I leave it uncharged over night. I am typically losing between 20-25% each night. It used to be 5-10% when things were going good. I just cleared the partition cache on Saturday and I would prefer not to do a factory reset. So hoping someone might have some insight based on their experiences.

Below are some screenshots of the battery usage. I am on WiFi the whole time and I realize the Yahoo app is the biggest culprit but there don't seem to be any other big users.

Screenshot_2016-03-22-07-06-28.jpg

Screenshot_2016-03-22-07-06-33.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The display is one of the biggest killer of the turbo battery. Make sure Yahoo or like apps aren't turning your display on throughout the night. I use Moto app to keep screen off during sleep hours. I don't sync email throughout the night.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to ask the question: why aren't you charging the phone overnight, so you start the day fresh?

The Yahoo app isn't really draining much more than anything else, like cell standby of Wifi, so it's not exactly a "culprit". You're screenshots aren't showing enough info. Is the phone awake for long periods of time? Tap the usage graph next time and that will bring up a new screen of info, including signal, awake time, screen on time, etc.

Do you actually use the Verizon Cloud app? If not, that's a great candidate for disabling. Settings / apps, find the Cloud app in the list of all apps and tap it, and tap the disable button. (Though, again, it's not using a lot of battery, any amount for an app that you're not using can be uninstalled or, in the case of bloatware like this, disabled.)

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the Moto app set to keep my screen off when "sleeping" from 11 PM to 6 AM.

I typically do charge my phone over night, but sometimes I charge it while I am sitting around before I go to bed if I am not using it. I just wanted to see what might be draining the battery when I am not using the phone since day to day battery life has gotten worse.

Attached is a further break down and I charged it briefly before heading in to work.

Screenshot_2016-03-22-09-13-53.jpg

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Something is definitely keeping your phone awake - you have a lot of wakelocks showing right there. Check to make sure that you don't have some rouge apps syncing in the background or what not. Try looking at your data usage and seeing if there are apps that have a ton of "background" data pulls. Usually they're the ones keeping your phone awake and draining battery.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The only big block of awake time overnight was at about 3 am. Otherwise, it looks normal. There isn't any screen on time (so the screen isn't turning on without being used) and location services are practically nothing. The period after you awoke was fairly normal - awake while charging (as expected) and a large block of awake time with screen off just before you took the screenshot - were you listening to music (or other media) or talking on the phone with the screen off during this time? If yes, that's expected awake time, too.

25% in that short of a time sounds like too high a drain, but, there are a few things that could be up:

1. How old is the phone? It could be that the battery is fatigued and not holding charge as well as when new.
2. The battery usage calculation is miscalculating. This can happen over time.

To rule out/fix number 2, I'd suggest doing a calibration run, at some point when you know you'll have time (over the weekend?) Run the battery down until the phone says it will shut off due to too low a charge, then plug it in and keep it plugged in until it is at 100% charge. To hasten the discharge, you could do something like watch video/Netflix/etc. with the battery saver turned off. If you have battery miscalibration, when the battery gets very low you may see it stay at that level for a lot longer than it should (i.e, if it takes 30 minutes to get from 60 to 50, it may take a lot longer to get from 10 to 0).

It could be important to be actively using the phone when you are doing this, so that you can monitor when the phone gets to the shut down point. Some people are unable to get the battery to charge at all if it has been sitting below the ability to start the phone for a long time (though, saying this, I have done this with my old Droid Maxx a couple of times when I left it on accidentally when I meant to shut it down and it sat about a week after shutting off on its own, and my Maxx is definitely older than your Turbo.)

Good luck, I hope that you figure it out.

(I wish Android gave better reporting tools about app usage...)