Backup/restore texts?

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted Droid turbo xt1254 thru Verizon and use "Cloud Magic" for my email client (which includes g mail) . I use "Textra" for messaging. I use Cyanogenmod 13 (RR--Marshmallow ) for my rom.

My question is I periodically have to do a system restore of an older backup thru twrp. Sometimes restoring a several weeks old back up. Is there an app or someway that restores texts from the missing time period from the backup to the date of the restore?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Half of what you said didn't make sense to me... this may not relate to what you're asking, but I use SMS Backup and Restore, set to automatically back up all my texts (including attachments) every night to my Drive. I can then restore texts to another phone or this one if something happens and I lose my texts.

Posted via Turbo

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. My phone/rom recently went into a boot loop and I had to restore my backup from/using twrp. The backup that I restored was not real current (a couple of weeks old). I lost all of my texts that I made from the time of the backup until the time I restored it. The only texts that appeared were the ones from the backup, not the later ones that I had made while on the rom when it went into a boot loop.

Does the app you suggested restore both roms texts?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Sms backup and restore will restore texts that it's backed up, no matter what android os is running.

I always use another app called sms backup +, which backups texts as you send and receive them to an archived label on your gmail account. It can also backup call logs to both a gmail archive and a google calendar if you want as well.

One thing to know is that these apps can back up mms messages but cannot restore them. I can't remember, but this may also affect group text messages (which are technically sent as mms most of the time.) But with sms backup +, you can still read the mms messages in your gmail account.

quantum tao

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
i use the verizon message+ app on RR. it works perfect for that and its very customizable. I know, i didn't think it was possible a good app could actually come from verizon either.
another reason i use it is because i know my texts are already going through verizon servers, which is bad enough, i don't want any other service putting their grubby little hands on them.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
i use the verizon message+ app on RR. it works perfect for that and its very customizable. I know, i didn't think it was possible a good app could actually come from verizon either.
another reason i use it is because i know my texts are already going through verizon servers, which is bad enough, i don't want any other service putting their grubby little hands on them.
I use Verizon Message+ as well. I absolutely love the multiple device sync. Use Message+ on my desktop, my work iPhone, my iPad, my Fire HDX tablet, my Macbook, and of course my personal Verizon DROID Turbo2.

All devices are sync and messages are retained for 90days, but I can export messages if I chose.

Also, the Verizon Cloud backs up my messages as well.

I have no fear of losing any messages, when I use this combination of Message+ and Cloud.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I forgot to mention, the thing I like about SMS Backup+ is that the backup happens as messages are received. You don't have to set a schedule. I believe that SMS Backup and Restore runs on a schedule (at least the last time I used it). And by backing up to gmail, you won't lose messages compared to backing up to local storage if the phone is lost, stolen, gets wet, etc.

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The only thing is, it's a Verizon app 😕.
Call me bull headed, but try other apps first instead of Verizon and google stuff, if I can. 😐
But, I will check it out. Hadn't even crossed my mind.