UPDATE: 23.21.49.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US vzw, call performance, security patch

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I did the update last night before falling to 😴, I have been having call issues for a little over a month but, haven't had the time to call and complain or look for a resolution. I hope this fixes it.

zen45

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
AARGGG pluged my phone into the usb port the Verizon update program started ran for a while downloading something then turned around and said I couldn't update on the usb port and the screen on my phone went crazy . turned off the phone and restarted it and then it said it was updating and optimizing 39 programs then it restarted it seems to be ok , I don't see any weird stuff going on !

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What does Advanced calling do?

Well, the tl;dr version is that it allows simultaneous voice and data over LTE.

Calls on Verizon have always been carried on a CDMA radio that doesn't have sufficient bandwidth to carry voice and data traffic at the same time (CDMA/EVDO is Verizon's 3G data protocol.) In past phones from 2011 - 2014, Verizon had multiple antennas, so the radio could switch between CDMA for call and LTE for data, but starting in 2014, almost every phone now only has a single antenna, so it can do CDMA for calls or LTE for data but not both at the same time. Until they added Advanced Calling, which allows VoLTE (Voice over LTE). AC supports better quality voice calls (Verizon calls it "HD calling") as well as video calls and up to 8 party conference calling. They are slowly adding WiFi calling to Advanced Calling. but not to any of the Droid phones yet.

Much more info: HD Voice for Android FAQs | Verizon Wireless

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Plugged mine into wall before I updated and it went just fine. No issues so far and the battery seems better. Knock on wood.

pippanelson

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I did the system update yesterday. Since then my phone has mysteriously used 6 GB of data, most of it in a one hour period. I have no explanation for this, when I noticed data accumulating I stopped all running apps and checked settings. The greatest gain in data, 4 GB occurred over a one hour period, and my phone attributes it to 'background email processes'. I don't understand how because my email is set up to only sync over wifi, never with data.
Any ideas?!
Really mad at Motorola!

Linda 50

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Re: Thanks for that security update Motorola.. You bricked my phone.

Similar major issue after this " surprise" unknown of update. Went to bed w battery @95% & @6:00 was @36%!! Any advice! I've removed some aps & rebooted, also turbo charger isn't working --- taking 3X as long this am (5/19). This is 3rd charge; from 83%-48% in 3 hrs w not much use...batt could go over 48 hrs w/ out charge Help

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Similar major issue after this " surprise" unknown of update. Went to bed w battery @95% & @6:00 was @36%!! Any advice! I've removed some aps & rebooted, also turbo charger isn't working --- taking 3X as long this am (5/19). This is 3rd charge; from 83%-48% in 3 hrs w not much use...batt could go over 48 hrs w/ out charge Help

Press and hold the power button down for at least 15 seconds, then release it. About 5 seconds into this process the phone will give you a message Power Off. That's good. Just keep holding the power down for about another 15 seconds then release it. The phone will then reboot and go through the start up steps. This process I've just described is similar to pulling the battery and re-inserting it from back in the days when batteries could be removed. It has fixed some battery issues I've had in the past.

Monitor your battery use and report back.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I did the system update yesterday. Since then my phone has mysteriously used 6 GB of data, most of it in a one hour period. I have no explanation for this, when I noticed data accumulating I stopped all running apps and checked settings. The greatest gain in data, 4 GB occurred over a one hour period, and my phone attributes it to 'background email processes'. I don't understand how because my email is set up to only sync over wifi, never with data.
Any ideas?!
Really mad at Motorola!

If you haven't done so already double check your settings to confirm it's supposed to synch emails over wifi, not over the Verizon network.

Do you use a Microsoft exchange type email system? How many contacts do you have--100's?

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Similar major issue after this " surprise" unknown of update. Went to bed w battery @95% & @6:00 was @36%!! Any advice!

One other piece of advice: leave the phone on the charger while you sleep so it is fully charged when you start the day. And, for another thing, lithium ion batteries last longer of they get a lot of small charges rather than a few large charges. It's always better to charge when you can rather than drain the battery to nearly zero and then charge. Just because the battery can last 48 hours, it doesn't mean it's a good idea to charge it every 48 hours.

After the phone has been running on battery for a while, look at settings / battery. What apps or services are listed as the most used, and what percentage of battery are they using?

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I've experienced since the update is Google play music just spins and won't play my music. Otherwise, I haven't had any other problems.

Nate7161

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The call issue has returned to my Droid Turbo. The phone will not ring and calls go directly to voice-mail on advanced calling. Once I turned off advanced calling I was able to receive calls again. I was hoping this update would have solved this issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
The call issue has returned to my Droid Turbo. The phone will not ring and calls go directly to voice-mail on advanced calling. Once I turned off advanced calling I was able to receive calls again. I was hoping this update would have solved this issue.

Yup sucks. Even with AC off on mine I still get straight to VM calls. Swapped out SIM several times but still reoccurring.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz