Would you still buy the Turbo 1 today?

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
See title. I have a MXPE now and I happen to like it quite a bit. What I miss is the AMOLED screen at times and the phone can be a tad big at times, especially one handed. The huge battery also looks like a big plus as is the screen warranty/replacement.

This would mainly be just as a backup phone for work and when we go camping to use when I need something smaller and/or will be away from my charger for an extended time and dont want to carry a external battery pack.

So would you buy this in 2016? Price is pretty cheap on them now (Verizon is only $199 direct). I have read this wont get 6.0 which is a bummer but any issues on 5.1? I really like the app Force Doze on my MXPE, it really helped the battery life so bummed it wont work on the Turbo but I may not need it with that giant battery!

I dont run many apps - mainly use Nova Launcher, Spotify, a geo cache app (C:Geo) and a couple other small misc apps. No FB or anything like that on my backup phones. I use Gmail and I actually like the Verizon Message+ app for texts.

Oh, I have seen mixed reviews on the camera. The camera on the MXPE is adequate for my needs on most shots and I thought they were similar. Any thoughts?

I actually bought and used a S7 and 5X to see if I could get by with those as my permanent daily phone but didnt like either more than the MXPE for day to day use. I use a lot of the Moto shortcuts, love the Moto notifications and didnt think the S7 was worth double the cost. The 5X was quite laggy which surprised me and I HATE lag!

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it'd be a fine phone if you're okay knowing it probably won't get updates and that the camera is barely average by today's standards. If you're buying 3 phones a year, you probably won't be too worried about longevity. If you wanted this phone to work for you for the next two years, I'd say try to find something a bit newer. Who knows what will happen over the next 2 years, and if non-64 bit processors will go out of style, and if so, how fast. I think as a backup, it's wonderful. Seems reliable and the battery should be large enough that if you forget it for a bit you won't be totally dead.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! Some phones I keep forever (I still have a LG G2 that works well) some I get really bored really quick and move on. The MXPE is a nice phone and suits most of my needs, I just find the size a bit much at times and I wouldnt mind a smaller screen. The weight is identical but it is a good bit smaller in size. I've been through a iPhone 6, 6S+, S7, Note 5, 5X, Nexus 6 and the MXPE. Recently got the little iPhone SE and it was actually quite nice but too small! Only the MXPE has stuck around from all of those others. I dont like the new Turbo 2 and I am uncertain about the Lenovo Z models. The old Turbo seemed like a great phone when it came out.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to take a look at the new Note and the new Nexus phones. If they don't wow me, I'll just keep using my Turbo. Best phone I've ever had. Still does everything I throw at it with no lag. I must have gotten one with a good camera because I have few complaints. Oh, I use Verizon's Message+ app as well.

sr3500

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I liked the phone quite a bit when I first got it, and for a while thereafter, despite its slow OS updates (still awaiting 6, but actually, it's too late - see further). The battery life was as advertised, at first, but dropped off to very mortal levels after about the first year (not due to operator use, I can assure you). I'm leaving the phone for the Nexus 6P, just getting away from Verizon, and I have to adopt the new phone. My girlfriend uses the 6P...I've hardly looked at it (the Turbo has been, OS and battery gripes notwithstanding, perfectly capable for me), but I don't expect anything less than a lateral move...the 6P's camera is better, that I know. Look, if the Turbo is free to you (or next to), yeah, go ahead. But I went from Razr HD to Turbo with VZW, and they are consistently slow to update OS, so you know. Pretty decent phones, otherwise.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, just picked up one to use as a daily driver. I really believe the Flagship phones of any year (in this case I think the Turbo was 2014) are more than capable. As for updates I don't worry about them - everyone seems to think they are entitled to updates at no cost when there is a significant monetary cost to the manufacturers for "network testing" and other BS from the carriers. Even against the Snapdragon 820 the Turbo is a fine phone with the 805, QHD display, 2 GB of RAM, 32 GB storage (I wish they sold the 64 GB model but 32 is adequate for my needs) and monster battery and AMOLED screen gives me the best battery life ever (previous King was the LG G2 - one died and lost one in the pool) and runs rings around my LG G4. While the camera isn't anywhere near as good as the G4 it is more than adequate for my needs and while there are a few things I miss from Marshmallow Lollipop is doing just fine (it's better than Kit Kat on my Dell tablet which has been orphaned since Dell has got out of the Android business). I expect this phone to last for around a year as primary and I'll look at one-two year flagships at a discount. I still have the G4 as a backup phone but it really is a little too big for me - doesn't really fit in my pocket (shirt or pants) very well and a real balancing act in the hand. If the GS7 comes down to GS6 levels (I can get a brand new GS6 on Verizon for $419). I would seriously consider a 6P if it wasn't so big. I'm no longer stuck in the bigger, newer faster (I was spoiled because my wife doesn't want a smartphone and I was able to upgrade subsidized for the last 4 years (GS3, G2, another G2, GS4, G4 and now the Turbo at full price - all the others were subsidized and $200 or less out of pocket - I don't worry about switching because I have a grandfathered plan with unlimited data and more minutes than I can use and have a great employee discount from my employer on Verizon). I will say that the new Moto G's give the Turbo a run for it's money @ $199/$249 with a nice 1080P screen (not so dazzled by the QHD displays) and a pretty good camera along with micro SD expansion. I think they're also in the slightly too big category with the 5.5" screen. I'm looking at the Moto Z Force a year from now as a possibillity with the new Nexi also being players. Not too thrilled with the G5, HTC 10, or any of the other big screen phones (the 5X might have been a player but I do miss carrying around a large media collection (that I rarely use) on an oversized micro SD card.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a new droid turbo 64gb about two months ago and I'm very happy. I owned a x pure for about 8 months and a zenfone 2 prior to that and I think the droid turbo is better for me in just about every respect. IMO the camera is much better in the DT.
Just got my wife a G4 plus a few days ago and she's lovin it so far.
I should add that I would not buy a phone with no micro sd slot that had less than 64gb internal storage. So although there are several new 32gb DT's out there for sale I wouldn't buy one.

Last edited:

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine is almost 18 months old.... battery has degraded to only 3.5 hrs SOT. Used to be 5.5-6 most days. Its a 200 dollar phone now. Yes worth 200...not the 600 I paid ....and still owe 130 on.

DRoID TuRBo this...

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
We have three we bought last month when we switched back to Verizon (say what you will...the network coverage can't be beat).

Love them. Still a great phone. Not a flagship, maybe, but still outstrips even the newest mid-level phones.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes I would for everything except call quality.
Quick charge
Solid battery
Great size. The 2 is horrible in the hand.
Wireless charging
NFC
Has a lot that other phones are leaving out features for design purposes

Posted via the Android Central App

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree, the Droid turbo 1 Is the max size for my hand.

Way too many misses when it comes to photos... The Motorola cameras have gotten better since but even the reviews of the new Z are behind Samsung, LG, iPhone and HTC... which is why when my two year contract is up in October, I'll either go with 2016 Nexus or wait until 2017 for Galaxy S8.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes I would for everything except call quality.
Quick charge
Solid battery
Great size. The 2 is horrible in the hand.
Wireless charging
NFC
Has a lot that other phones are leaving out features for design purposes

The call quality on my Turbo is great...go figure :)
Had both Moto Razrs, Droid Incredible, and a Droid Razr MAXX HD. The MAXX was the best IMO

I'll be looking at a Note 7 when they are released - like the idea of a slightly larger (eyes getting old) phone and the pen.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The call quality on my Turbo is great...go figure :)
Had both Moto Razrs, Droid Incredible, and a Droid Razr MAXX HD. The MAXX was the best IMO

I'll be looking at a Note 7 when they are released - like the idea of a slightly larger (eyes getting old) phone and the pen.

Very odd that you have great call quality. Good to hear though!

I picked my kids up used LG G3's and I actually liked the G5...may go that route.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have always had excellent call quality with my Turbo as well. If I connect with someone else who has advanced calling it is awesome.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have always had excellent call quality with my Turbo as well. If I connect with someone else who has advanced calling it is awesome.

Yes, I have two friends on Verizon that have advanced calling on their Samsung phones and the clarity of the sound is spooky. It sounds like they are in the same room with me. Plus I have to turn down my volume to below half way because it's so loud.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ASD Dad,
Keep in mind this is a flagship phone in name only. It won't get updates like a flagship phone should and doesn't even have WiFi calling capability even though it has Advanced Calling, HD and Video. It has some some major issues like the System UI error that requires a system wipe to fix. There are battery drain issues and this phone lacks the ability to give you alerts when you are on a voice call. Unless you visually check after every phone call you'll never know someone just texted or emailed you.

Last edited: