Anything better than the Droid Turbo?

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
It has been time for me to upgrade, but I realize nothing else comes close to the battery or the camera on the Turbo. Not even it's successor.
Of course the new phones are faster, slimmer, shinier.. and will have Marshmallow, but I've never been left on a cold desolate road without a means of communication with this phone. And, I've been able to take great pics of that cold desolate road too!
Should I hang on to this thing until it falls apart? Any suggestions?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Droid Turbo 2, Moto Z Force, Moto Z Play, iPhone 7 Plus, Google Pixel XL, Galaxy S7 Edge

Last edited:

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the original Turbo and it still is a great phone. The wife just got the Moto Z Play and it seems like a great phone too. Snappy and awesome battery life. It will probably be my next phone.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to get a new phone, I really do. But other than getting one with a finger print sensor I can't find a good enough reason to ditch the Turbo. The battery is getting a bit worn out; I only get about 4 hours screen on time nowadays. I've had to invoke the battery saver mode a couple of times at night of late when it dipped below 15%. Is a new phone going to do something significantly better than my Turbo? I just don't think so. Still, I've got the itch for a new phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I want to get a new phone, I really do. But other than getting one with a finger print sensor I can't find a good enough reason to ditch the Turbo. The battery is getting a bit worn out; I only get about 4 hours screen on time nowadays. I've had to invoke the battery saver mode a couple of times at night of late when it dipped below 15%. Is a new phone going to do something significantly better than my Turbo? I just don't think so. Still, I've got the itch for a new phone.
All of those devices I mentioned have great battery life, better cameras, better security, better displays and IMO are better in just about every way when compared to the first turbo.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
All of those devices I mentioned have great battery life, better cameras, better security, better displays and IMO are better in just about every way when compared to the first turbo.
Yes, they are incrementally better than the Turbo. But significantly better? I don't see the new phones as being game changers.

When I went from my RAZR Maxx HD to the Droid Turbo that was a leap forward. Turbo to Z Force? Not so much.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not to disparage the turbo, but I don't see it as incremental. On a scale of 1-10, with all those devices hovering in the 8-9 range, I'd put the og turbo around a 3 or a 4. They're not "wow, I never knew phones could do this" - but that sort of update isn't coming again for a long time, if ever. They are all consistently way ahead of the turbo on just about every metric and as a total experience to the user, it is night and day.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not to disparage the turbo, but I don't see it as incremental. On a scale of 1-10, with all those devices hovering in the 8-9 range, I'd put the og turbo around a 3 or a 4. They're not "wow, I never knew phones could do this" - but that sort of update isn't coming again for a long time, if ever. They are all consistently way ahead of the turbo on just about every metric and as a total experience to the user, it is night and day.
What is so much better about these phones that makes the Turbo look like a dog?

On your rating scale I'd put the Turbo at a 7 or so.

Last edited:

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they are incrementally better than the Turbo. But significantly better? I don't see the new phones as being game changers.

When I went from my RAZR Maxx HD to the Droid Turbo that was a leap forward. Turbo to Z Force? Not so much.
The pixel is a huge step forward from the droid turbo. Pictures are near instant with top quality. Software experience is second to none. The DT was quick but nougat with SD821 is way beyond anything DT could do.

I routinely hit 5 and 6 hour screen-on time with 30℅ battery. Everything works extremely well without hiccups. Wireless charging wasn't quick enough to be useful. I don't miss that.

However, I do miss display notifications but turned on the LED notification light. I do miss the size of it as well. The pixel is a bit wider, especially with a case. I only have 32GB of storage as well. I may trade my XL for a 5" pixel with 128GB... Problems solved.

I was worried I'd regret the move from DT but I don't. The experience is anything but incremental

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Strangely, shortly after I posted this thread, the camera stopped working. When I try to open the camera there's a black screen for a few seconds then a message that says "Camera Busy. Camera Unable To Start. If This Repeats Please Power Off Your Phone And Restart." I've restarted a million times and tried putting the phone in safe mode- and it still doesn't work so it's not a third party app accessing the camera. I've called Verizon and run a diagnostics, nothing. I've even factory reset. Still, no camera. But a couple days ago I did take a selfie, which I never do, then the camera broke so maybe it's me haha. Looks like I'll be upgrading after all... Or getting a replacement Turbo. :/

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I do LOVE my turbo 64g..I just got the pixel xl and I love that too. Was going to get the z force, but no LifeProof means no cigar. Sorry moto

Was checking out the pixel today at the Verizon store after my camera took a crap. Nice phone! Unfortunately I worried it wouldn't have the same battery life or pic resolution and I bailed. But I gotta do something because my camera no longer works.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Was checking out the pixel today at the Verizon store after my camera took a crap. Nice phone! Unfortunately I worried it wouldn't have the same battery life or pic resolution and I bailed. But I gotta do something because my camera no longer works.

That last comment literally made me laugh out loud. Yes it's definitely time for a new phone if that's the case! I think the Moto Z Play would be a great successor if you want battery and a Motorola phone. From what first impressions are saying, the Huawei Mate 9 will have 8 hours of screen on time, if you can handle that large of a phone.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Like I said before... I'm achieving close to 6 hours screen on time with 20% to 30% battery at the end of the day... Usually starting at 530am and ending about 9pm. Getting a quick charge in the car for about 30 minutes I've been able to go 1.5 days and about 10 hours screen on time

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping to get the Moto z force. Awesome phone. Love the thinness. But, since Google dropped the Nexus line for pixel, I believe we are getting straight updates from Google. There is nothing on the phone inside or out that even hints Verizon. Also even with the same resolution the droid has big clunky looking on screen buttons. Not sure why, the pixel has small ones. Almost like back in the day upgrading your desktop monitor to 1080 was a whoa, everything is so small!! The force has big buttons. I like the pixel camera (wanted the z for hassalblad but it is thick understandably). I also which pixel had the front flash.

I got the 32g over 128g only cause I wanted the phone tonight and that's all that's in stock...lol. yea I know..but on the turbo I didn't even use 32 g of the 64, and it had twice the camera resolution. Plus (I'm not using it) but you get free unlimited cloud backup for photos and videos from Google.

I will say the screen colors are infinitely superior to the turbo..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams