Who's betting that the Droid Ultra(and it's big and small brothers) will NOT sell well?

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Edit: corrected the"Ulta" to "Ultra" before Ulta the cosmetics retails sues me for infringement. :D :D :D

Who's betting that the Droid Ultra(and it's big and small brothers) will NOT sell well?

I'll just go on record here. Will re-visit this thread in 3 to 5 months to see if I'm right. :D

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Who's betting that the Droid Ulta(and it's big and small brothers) will NOT sell well?

The RAZR line has typically done well for Verizon. I think they just don't sell better because they're only on Verizon.

I'd be getting a MAXX if I wasn't waiting to hear more about the X. I imagine I'm not the only person in this position right now.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who's betting that the Droid Ulta(and it's big and small brothers) will NOT sell well?

I also feel they will do well. A lot of general consumers "normal people" walk in and the reps point them to the newest droids

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

The Maxx has a following due to the insane battery life. I know of three people who have already pre ordered the Maxx. The other two have decent battery life as well.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

They are good phones to recommend to people who are more of the "general consumer" type. For instance, I recommended them to my sisters because I knew they'd be easy to use and my sisters, like lots of others with smartphones, have battery life as a main concern. When my sister asked why I recommended the RAZR MAXX for her while I had a Galaxy Nexus, I told her, "My battery doesn't last nearly as long as yours. I often can't make it through an entire day without recharging." She was like, "Oh. Nevermind then."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Who's betting that the Droid Ulta(and it's big and small brothers) will NOT sell well?

I'll just go on record here. Will re-visit this thread in 3 to 5 months to see if I'm right. :D

Which side are you on?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Who's betting that the Droid Ulta(and it's big and small brothers) will NOT sell well?

The RAZR line outsells the iPhone on Verizon.

History is not on your side on this one.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I think the mini and ultra are spot on. Not so much the maxx, but I suppose we will see soon enough.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The RAZR line outsells the iPhone on Verizon.

History is not on your side on this one.

Not sure if that's true across the board but yes, there were a few months where the RAZR came out on top over the iPhone.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I think the mini and ultra are spot on. Not so much the maxx, but I suppose we will see soon enough.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA

What makes you think the Maxx won't do as well? After owning a RMHD I can't see going to a smaller battery.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

What makes you think the Maxx won't do as well? After owning a RMHD I can't see going to a smaller battery.

It's not that I don't think it will do as well, I just don't feel like it is a huge differential from the original maxx. I am just a little let down by it. Purely personal opinion :cool:

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

It's not that I don't think it will do as well, I just don't feel like it is a huge differential from the original maxx. I am just a little let down by it. Purely personal opinion :cool:

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA

I hear what you're saying. It "looks" like pretty much the same phone. Although I wish it was available in red like the Ultra. But even though I'm only 8 months into my RMHD, I'm always itching for the next big thing and figured they'd come out with a MAXX successor. I wish they could have kept the L&W dimensions the same as there is ever increasing phone size creep, but I guess the screen is over a quarter inch larger so it had to go somewhere. I'm curious to see how it feels in the hand comparatively. Some of the new features like the always on GoogleNow and wireless charging sound nice. I guess I'll have to get something else to prop it up on next to my bed now since I won't need the dock. And, well if you want to give me essentially the same sized phone with 16h more battery life I'm not going to complain. Interesting that they were able to squeeze 16 more hours our of 400 more mAh. I guess the phone is just that much more efficient. Also curious to see the thinness of the Ulta

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Also curious to see the thinness of the Ulta

If it really is as thin as the original Droid RAZR, then it'll be insanely thin. I thought the thinness of that phone, along with its width, made it a bit awkward to hold.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I'll bet the ulta doesn't sell well. the Ultra will sell like hotcakes though. people are starting to get over there love of samsung which makes horrible phones.

since the mini has the same specs I am just going to be buying it, already have a razr M and it blows away all the other smart phones I've owned.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA

I agree. It's certainly not a bad phone - but I am a bit underwhelmed by it. I was looking at it in my Verizon upgrade area, thought I might pre-order it, but I just felt very "MEH" about it.

My Bionic still has some life left in it. I guess I am in no real hurry.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if that's true across the board but yes, there were a few months where the RAZR came out on top over the iPhone.

At the least I know the RAZR MAXX used to, and RAZR HD does, go back and forth with to iPhone for king of sales, obviously specifically on VZW.

Still, the Droid line will never be a massive seller being that it's limited to just one carrier, but we all know that already.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Keep the discussion on-topic and appropriate. I won't ask again.

Thread cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I don't see anything that is going to cause the great mass of consumers come in droves to Verizon stores demanding to buy this phone. Of the various "cool" features they demonstrated the only one that I found appealing was the fast action camera, which I do think is an excellent idea but is not going to sell a phone on its own. The specifications certainly are not anything that is going to wow high-tech buffs such as those who populate these forums. I am an owner of a razor Maxx from the release date, And am planning to update my phone early. I had already pretty much decided I'm going with the Galaxy S4, and alas I didn't see anything today that made me hesitate in that plan. I hope that incentives for the Motorola salesforce and perhaps the the Droid name will make this phone a success anyway which I think would be a good thing, I want Motorola to continue to be a success. I really like many of the features on my razor Maxx, Smart Actions are awesome, for instance. Unfortunately I didn't see anything new in the phones today to like that would make me want to go with this phone the next year or two.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been entirely happy with my Maxx and so far, the upcoming Droid MAXX is the only thing that has my attention as a replacement. Having become accustomed to the fantastic battery it's hard to go back to "normal" levels & the new Droid seems to be "all that & significantly more". If reviews of the actual product are positive I'll be hard pressed not to pull the upgrade lever. I do love the design characteristics of the MOTO X but it's not gonna run with the Maxx on battery longevity - sooner or later, I'm betting Moto will spring a Maxx version of the X phone. Now that would present me with a dilemma.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a RAZR M VZW employee model right now and will be preordering my Ultra VZW employee model on the 25th. Stoked.

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol