kind of a let down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamabun

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
i REALLY like the phone, but some of the specs are just a little bit of a let down. the biggest gripe being a 720p screen. WTF? why would the do that? no matter what anyone says, at $199-299 they are competing with top of the line phones. these are far from top of the line specs. i dont mind the processor, sd card is lame but i can live with that, but 720p? i just dont get it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
i REALLY like the phone, but some of the specs are just a little bit of a let down. the biggest gripe being a 720p screen. WTF? why would the do that? no matter what anyone says, at $199-299 they are competing with top of the line phones. these are far from top of the line specs. i dont mind the processor, sd card is lame but i can live with that, but 720p? i just dont get it.

Because specs don't matter as much?

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Because specs don't matter as much?

Except that specs matter more than ever as the competition is greater than ever.

If the screen was straight RGB it wouldn't even be retina grade, but it has some pentile-like matrix, giving it an effective resolution of even lower.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Except that specs matter more than ever as the competition is greater than ever.

If the screen was straight RGB it wouldn't even be retina grade, but it has some pentile-like matrix, giving it an effective resolution of even lower.

Except that no, specs matter less than ever.

Devices are reaching their plateau from a hardware standpoint. Software will begin to make the difference now.

Throughout your posts on this forum it's quite evident you have no grasp of the topics you're attempting to discuss.

You honestly need to get past the display. Find a device with specifications you enjoy rather than incessantly complaining, kiddo.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the idea, the designers thought it would work best with the mobile. I love the hate in this topic.

Posted via magic forest creatures which power this Nexus 4 and the Android Central App.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The experience matters and that comes down to software.

(and marketing)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Would a high quality display qualify as part of what helps produce a "good experience".

Sure, but it's not the only thing. But 720 is no slouch. And it's technically HD.

I don't hear "regular customers" (you know, the people that aren't as in to smartphones as we all are) saying that their 720 screens suck. They don't care. They just care that they can call it HD. Or that it's 5".

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have zero gripes about the screen on my M. Stoked to order the Employee Edition Ultra tomorrow, along with the bright yellow commuter Otter box.

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

bamabun

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Sure, but it's not the only thing. But 720 is no slouch. And it's technically HD.

I don't hear "regular customers" (you know, the people that aren't as in to smartphones as we all are) saying that their 720 screens suck. They don't care. They just care that they can call it HD. Or that it's 5".

that is absolutely wrong! people know retina, 1080p, and ppi. this is not how you compete in the same space as the S4, HTC One, and most of all... the iphone. its just not. people like specs. iphone represented more than 50% of all new vzw activations!! this new droid is not how you get a piece of that.

my mother, my mother in law, brother in law, etc. all call me, hey im looking at xyz, it has this that and this, but the other one has this that this and that! it happens all of the time. there is a specs card with virtually every product you buy.

sadly, people wont ever get to the user experience if they cant get past the specs. i wanted this phone sooooo much but i just dont think it has the goods for me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
that is absolutely wrong! people know retina, 1080p, and ppi. this is not how you compete in the same space as the S4, HTC One, and most of all... the iphone. its just not. people like specs. iphone represented more than 50% of all new vzw activations!! this new droid is not how you get a piece of that.

my mother, my mother in law, brother in law, etc. all call me, hey im looking at xyz, it has this that and this, but the other one has this that this and that! it happens all of the time. there is a specs card with virtually every product you buy.

sadly, people wont ever get to the user experience if they cant get past the specs. i wanted this phone sooooo much but i just dont think it has the goods for me.

I'm more concerned that the Ultra and Maxx are replacing phones that had HD in their name.

They hear buzzwords like retina, and 1080, and PPI - but if they actually understood PPI, they'd know that once you get around ~280-300 PPI for a smartphone, going higher is largely irrelevant.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

apcman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree they started so strongly, but it just seemed like Moto wanted to cut corners on things that they shouldn't. They are trying to start over and show that their phones are top of the line and when they can't match things like screen or the processors it is disappointing. The screen should have been 1080P and the while the X8 does seem interesting, it does seem a little gimmicky, just to be able to say 8 cores and hide the fact that it is not a state of the art processor. I was ready to pre order this phone right off the bat but I just think I need to wait and see how it compares to the S4. I liked the software and how close to stock it is, but I just don't think it will have the staying power; I was hoping Moto would be better at updating to the newest OS since they are owned by google. As developers use more of the processing power for applications I am just worried that this phone will not be able to handle the strain since it is just a dual core. I just don't want to be locked in with a phone that does not have the specs to handle the demands of tomorrow because they took this route instead of using premium parts.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Average consumers don't care.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

The iPhone is one of the top selling phones and it has what that is so ahead of everything else spec wise? Dual core cpu when a lot of phones are quad core now. 1gb of ram when most are 2gb now. A 1500mah battery when most are 2000mah or more. It comes down to the experience. Does that phone have enough horsepower to call, text ,browse the web and Facebook? Yes is the camera good? Yes. Can it function fluidly and without hiccups? I'm sure it can. Most normal people care about those things. They don't care about a 2ghz quad core with adreno 320 GPU. Or any technical stuff.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I'll say, after looking forward to these for so long, I'm let down by the screen some (would rather have had SLCD) and the lack of notification light. And, from a purely cosmetic standpoint, I would have liked the MAXX in white or even red.

Hopefully there will be good stuff in the reviews on these, since based on what we know now, I'm not nearly as excited to grab one up as I was a week ago.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Except that no, specs matter less than ever.

Devices are reaching their plateau from a hardware standpoint. Software will begin to make the difference now.

Throughout your posts on this forum it's quite evident you have no grasp of the topics you're attempting to discuss.

You honestly need to get past the display. Find a device with specifications you enjoy rather than incessantly complaining, kiddo.

That device hardware is reaching a plateau is exactly why the competition is greater than ever. The more similar devices are, the more they compete with each other. The differentiation of software merely reduces competition by creating said differentiation. It's supply and demand my child. The more software differentiation there is, the less each differentiation is worth, and the less hardware differentiation there is, the more each differentiation is worth. So given this truth we may conclude that hardware is what matters most and that it matters more than ever.

And your ad hominem attacks merely show that deep down you agree with me.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That device hardware is reaching a plateau is exactly why the competition is greater than ever. The more similar devices are, the more they compete with each other. The differentiation of software merely reduces competition by creating said differentiation. It's supply and demand my child. The more software differentiation there is, the less each differentiation is worth, and the less hardware differentiation there is, the more each differentiation is worth. So given this truth we may conclude that hardware is what matters most and that it matters more than ever.

And your ad hominem attacks merely show that deep down you agree with me.

I'd disagree. We don't even have apps that can run are 4 cores yet. What's the point of having such amazing hardware if the software can't utilize it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze