Camera Error, Camera is unable to initialize.

armyav8tor

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
In my particular case, it was WeChat and some QR code scanners. Those programs seem to mess up the camera. The best way to see if it is a hardware or software issue is to put the phone in safe mode. In my case, camera stopped crashing in safe mode so I knew it was an app causing the issues. Regardless, Motorola could have done a better job in making their camera api more compatible.

speedypickup

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Droid Maxx. I got a brand new Droid Maxx, and started having the "error, cannot initialize camera" message. After totally wiping out the phone, deleting everything and doing a factory reset on it, I STILL had the camera error message (I initially was told that it "must be an app that is interfering with the camera"). I spoke with Verizon and they finally chalked it up to a "hardware malfunction". So they authorized a return, and sent me a brand new one. After only 2 or so days, I began having the exact same camera issues!! So far this problem has remain unsolved, and I am frustrated to the point of getting another type of phone instead. Nobody seems to know what the problem is.

armyav8tor

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I ended up replacing my Maxx due to the camera issue. But to be honest, the phone was dropped from about 5 ft onto my tiled bathroom floor. The phone had a Verizon style holster case on and it landed screen down. There was no visible damage so I didn't make the connection. After a while, I linked the two together. I opened it up (not recommended if your phone is still under warranty) and noticed a hairline crack on the motherboard. Bottom line, these phones are very fragile and even if you think it survived a drop, there could be internal damage. Of course some never dropped theirs and have issues.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Skateman1967

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Here's what I did that worked for me. Open up a browser page on your Android phone (Google Chrome page for me), click the (3 dots in the upper right corner) to open the settings, select content settings, and then website settings. Find the website you are having issues with (Omegle in this case) and select it This opens a Voice and Video selector where you and check mark a box to allow that site to access your mic and camera. Mine was unchecked for some reason. Just check the box ans walla! Good Luck! :)

Li Bob

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Please check whether the phone haves the authority to access to camera or not .

You can get that information in the phone setting.

nghoang258

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
It's is not trolling. I have the same problem with the camera for a month now. It's really frustrating, so one day I snapped and started tapping the camera against the arm chair (which had a thick coat over it). To my surprise, the camera suddenly worked again. Apparently, there is maybe some loose connection from the main board with the camera, I just have no idea, so we need to hit it to reconnect. Anyway, it is not a permanent fix, it work well for a day, and then give the error again the next day. Anyway, if the error happen, I just tap it several time again on the camera, and it will go back on:D

steve115

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I had a droid ultra and the camera stopped working from too many drops, no damage since it was in case but if you looked at back camera it wasn't centered any more. About a week ago my friend with a maxx had something happen, phones always been in an otterbox defender and one drop and camera is shot. No damage except back camera wasn't centered anymore. Wonder if there's something loose around these cameras

Posted via the Android Central App

BillyC517

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I have been having same issue with Droid Maxx. Has been happening for the last 4 months. I have tried the partition wipe, factory data reset (wipe), all to no avail. Went through a chat with Motorola, their "solution", because phone was over a year old (1 year 3 months), was send it back to them, and they would send me a "like new" phone, once they received mine. All for $149.00 plus $24.99 (premium fee). If I wanted the "like new" phone sooner, they would send out to me ASAP, but put a hold on my credit card of $200.00, until they received my old phone. Then the $149 and $24.99 would kick in.

That was the only option given to me. They acknowledged that it was a hardware issue, but to no avail. Since troubleshooting was done, this is last option. I mentioned when you look at the reviews in Google Play Store, under Motorola Camera App, EVERYONE is having this issue!

I can not believe that this is how Motorola is handling this. I have also noticed that it is effecting Barcode Reader App as well. I am running 4.4.4.

Anyone have any solutions/tips yet?

BC

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have snapchat and the QR reader and both along with the camera would not function properly.

Tried many things suggested here on this forum: settings, apps, camera, clear cashe & force stop, and also uninstalled camera updates.... Power cycled phone after each of these and still the same problem. I assumed was definitely a hardware issue as this was a recently replaced warranty exchange.

Coincident or not, I'm not 100% sure, but I left the camera without updates (as installed in original format from the factory) completely uninstalled snapchat, then reinstalled snapchat and now all 3 apps work 100%.

I hope this may work for you!

Ronjon101

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Droid Maxx. I have been reading through the posts and have tried some of the solutions to no avail. I dropped my phone on the upper right hand corner and soon after the camera started showing the error message. The one post a page or two back mentioned something about a circuit board the might not be making a connection. Well me being me, and I swear my brain works in mysterious ways, I thought it through and came to the conclusion that if the circuit board lost its connection when I dropped it "top down" to the ground a similar shock to the phone on the bottom of the phone would move the circuit board back into place. I'll be damned but the camera started working again.
Mind you out of shear frustration, plus the phone was a refurbish, I hit it bottom down on my wooded desk with the amount of force you would need to bounce a tennis ball about 3' in the air. Call me crazy!! I would LOL. Good luck to all in solving this problem. Oh and let me know if this works for anyone who dares to try it.

Joseph House

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Short and Sweet...Roll your left hand into a fist, holding your phone in your right hand screen facing upward, drop the phone into your fist. It's similar to clapping, but your hitting the back of your phone. I promise this works on my phone every time! No BS.

My camera worked fine for years, then it started working intermittently. Lately, it almost never works. I've tried all the stuff listed in these forums except a hard reset. Nothing has ever worked. I can usually get the camera to work if I click and try to open it enough times. There are times I may click 25+ times before it will work, and sometimes it will not work not matter how many times I try. I got mad one day when I really need to take a picture and the camera wouldn't work, and I slammed it into my fist. I immediately tried to open it again and it worked. That's what I always do now and it always works on my phone.

Mcarolinex3

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I've rebooted tried apps and even erases my entire phone completely what can I do besides going to Verizon store

I've had this problem on my droid ultra for about a year and a half now and I just figured there was nothing I could do. My bf and I went to Verizon, they basically said it happens and really didn't offer any help, and since we were getting our upgrade we just forgot about it. But here I am now, my phone just died last night and I thought I could use this one temporarily until I get a new one but the broken camera is bugging me. I've been messing with it for the last two hours and JUST FIXED IT. For some reason, uninstalling the Tesla LED app we had, (flashlight app) made the camera work. I'll update here if it stops working but right now it's working great. BTW I'm using a camera app I downloaded, gonna get the camera from this phone back and see if that works also. Hope this helps anybody.

doug brozell

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I tried all suggestions mentioned. Eliminating cache from all camera apps. Erasing cache partitions, uninstalling camera updates. Nothing worked. I also installed Camera Zoom FX and it only restored backward facing camera. As my phone is over two years old I will likely get a new phone, unlikely a Motorola.

roman khan1

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I would really like to not have to do a hard reset on my 1 month old Droid Ultra, but it may give me no choice. I have been getting this error "Camera Error, Camera is unable to initialize." on the camera function for a couple of days. I have stopped and restarted the service, have done countless soft resets, but I am still getting the error. There isn't a removable battery or that would be my next step. Please tell me there is something I don't know about that can correct this error. I would love not to have to take it to the Verizon store...the wait where I live is a PITA!

My ultra max camera is not open please give soluton

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol