Camera Error, Camera is unable to initialize.

rpoldervaart

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Just found this thread. I also am having the "Camera Error" message. It's been happening for the past few weeks. I try to start the camera, either by clicking icon or shaking, and it freezes after a couple seconds and gives a "Camera Error" message. I just updated with the latest KitKat update from Verizon, but it was having this problem before then. I recently tried to remove cache/data, and even uninstalled updates, and then disabled and enabled. At one point, it got back to the bear bones stock camera app, and even the icon just showed com.android.a.camera, or something like that. It seemed to work for a while, but auto updated again, and then started failing. Occasionally, I can get it to start working again, but then it will fail again.

Running 19.5.3.obake-maxx_version.Verizon.en.US. Droid version 4.4. Camera version 3.1.41

Any ideas?
Robert

sheena123

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Just go to application manager and check all the applications (to do with the camera including the modes such as best face, beauty,etc...) clear all the cache... and camera will start to work again.. WORKS for me.. (=

rpoldervaart

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Mine turned out to be what looks like a hardware problem. I ended up resetting mine all the way back with factory reset, and the camera still had the same error. After some time on the phone with Verizon support, they sent me out a new (refurbished) Maxx. I pushed hard to get a brand new phone, but they wouldn't budge. I was skeptical, but the new phone looks clean and new, and the camera is working fine.

Regarding support, I'm sure she was just going down her list of questions to ask, but after I tell her I did a factory reset, it really doesn't help to have me clear the camera cache and data, or ask if the problem started after installing any new apps. Sometimes it would help for them to think instead of just reading the questions.

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding support, I'm sure she was just going down her list of questions to ask, but after I tell her I did a factory reset, it really doesn't help to have me clear the camera cache and data, or ask if the problem started after installing any new apps. Sometimes it would help for them to think instead of just reading the questions.

Most tech support types have no technical skills or knowledge at ask. They just work their way through a flow chart until they reach the "new phone" box.

Sometimes you can get to a supervisor by politely telling them that you're an advanced user, you've already tried everything and know the phone is borked, and could they please escalate the call.

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I would really like to not have to do a hard reset on my 1 month old Droid Ultra, but it may give me no choice. I have been getting this error "Camera Error, Camera is unable to initialize." on the camera function for a couple of days. I have stopped and restarted the service, have done countless soft resets, but I am still getting the error. There isn't a removable battery or that would be my next step. Please tell me there is something I don't know about that can correct this error. I would love not to have to take it to the Verizon store...the wait where I live is a PITA!

I have recovered my camer error problem whti below steps:
Ensure the device is powered off.
Ensure the USB cable is disconnected.
Press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge above the Volume keys).
Select Power off.
Select OK.
Allow several seconds for the device to power off.

Press and hold the Volume down button, while holding the Volume down button press the Power button and hold both buttons for three to five seconds then release both buttons.
From the Boot Mode Selection Menu screen, press the Volume down key to highlight Recovery then press the Volume Up key.
From the Android triage screen (Android figure with an exclamation point), press and hold the Volume up key, while holding the Volume up key press and release the Power button then release all keys.
From the Android system recovery screen, select wipe cache partition.
Utilize the volume keys to highlight and the Power button to select.
When complete, highlight reboot system now​ and press Power to execute.

why these type bugs in start up stage?

Last edited by a moderator:

Billyn

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar problem. Went through all suggestions including clearing cache and all that.
What worked for me is to install a 3rd-party software, Camera Zoom Fx. This works fine but additionally, the camera app pre-installed also started working fine. Its been a couple of days, and no problem to date.

Tim Brown9

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Verizon Droid Maxx after I downloaded all my pictures after a three month trip and used the PC to delete them from the phone. Clearing the cache from the Apps settings did not at first seem to work but when I turned the phone off and on again, it did indeed work. Thanks!

Manny Lopez1

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same issue with my droid Maxx (camera error). I Fixed mine by uninstalling the last camera update. It now works flawlessly. Hope this helps anyone.

Last edited:

DEEPAK BANOTA

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
i had the same problem with my moto g. i tried switching my phone off and on, and the camera worked. but i didn't want to keep turning my phone off and on so i tried finding the root problem. i came to know that every time i do not exit Skype properly, i get camera error. but the solution was simple, i just go to Skype, try to make a video call and the camera starts working. just make sure you don't directly kill the task and exit the app properly.

i don't know if this will work for you guys or not but it worked for me. good luck!

peterthebuddha

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I can also confirm that installing Camera Zoom FX app works. And the stock camera app now works as well.
(Thankfully I used an Amazon appstore promo code - so got it for free :D)

btw: clearing cache etc. didn't work at all.

EDIT: I take it all back - After just a couple of minutes, it's playing up again :'(

Jon Brooks1

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I found that pressing down on the camera its self actually worked instead of doing all these resets the camera seems to just not be in place as it may seem.
Correction that was a VERY TEMPORARY fix it worked for like 5 hours then back to errored state

Last edited:

BDFAZ

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
How exactly do you delete only the update?...ive tried all the resets, cache partition clearing...verizon said only the factory reset will work and Im not so anxious to do that

BDFAZ

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I have recovered my camer error problem whti below steps:
Ensure the device is powered off.
Ensure the USB cable is disconnected.
Press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge above the Volume keys).
Select Power off.
Select OK.
Allow several seconds for the device to power off.

Press and hold the Volume down button, while holding the Volume down button press the Power button and hold both buttons for three to five seconds then release both buttons.
From the Boot Mode Selection Menu screen, press the Volume down key to highlight Recovery then press the Volume Up key.
From the Android triage screen (Android figure with an exclamation point), press and hold the Volume up key, while holding the Volume up key press and release the Power button then release all keys.
From the Android system recovery screen, select wipe cache partition.
Utilize the volume keys to highlight and the Power button to select.
When complete, highlight reboot system now​ and press Power to execute.

Verizon technical support had me do this and it did not work, they said my next option was factory reset, i was ind of hoping that there was something else I could try, before backing up all my info and starting all over...actually may try that other camera app first and seee what happens
with this many issues youd think theyd be working on a fix by now??

Tony Gatta

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I've done 4 hard resets and my front camera still want work. Ever since they sent me the latest update camera won't work and it's very unfair that I have to use my insurance to get the issue fixed by getting phone replaced

Posted via the Android Central App

ticknock

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with a Motorola xt890 (razr i). The problem started after dropping the phone on the top corner.

I opened it up and there was no visible damage, but as is the case with a lot of mobile devices these days, power and data connections between circuit boards are made using flimsy springs on one board lined up with bonding pads on another.

This means if the boards are slightly misaligned or a spring gets bent you'll no longer have an electrical connection. I stretched the springs a little, tried to ensure the boards were lined up and screwed it back together. Its been working ever since.

You might be able to verify if you have the same problem just by sqeezing your phone close to the camera, then starting the camera application and see if it initialises.

Deepak Keswani

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Dear concern,
I bought moto g 2nd genreation. My phone 4.4 kitket version. Again again error showing camera intalize failed. How can resolve the problem. Please tell me..

Thanks and Regards
Deepak Keswani

Aj Khan1

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
My mobile phone have same error camera int.. failed .when i oon its Led flash light built in app this type of error apear . **** it have 10 months of warranty . so m going to replace itttttttt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital