1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New news on FoxFi on Droid Ultra??

Looking at getting the Droid Ultra but am hesitant to give up my unlimited data on my old Droid (although Verizon says I can get 6 gb on my new phone - more than I'll ever use). More than the data limit I don't want to give up my FoxFi and don't' see on any forum that it's possible to run FoxFi on the Ultra. I am not programmer-savvy - only facile with use of the devices so can't understand a lot of what I read. We do have a programmer in-house but he's not sure from what he's read that it's do-able. Help, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: New news on FoxFi on Droid Ultra??

Quote Originally Posted by droidluv2 View Post
    Looking at getting the Droid Ultra but am hesitant to give up my unlimited data on my old Droid (although Verizon says I can get 6 gb on my new phone - more than I'll ever use). More than the data limit I don't want to give up my FoxFi and don't' see on any forum that it's possible to run FoxFi on the Ultra. I am not programmer-savvy - only facile with use of the devices so can't understand a lot of what I read. We do have a programmer in-house but he's not sure from what he's read that it's do-able. Help, anyone? Thanks in advance.
    If you check out the Maxx forum there are folks there discussing having FoxFi on their phones, and the Maxx and Ultra are virtually the same so it seems you could use it on your Ultra.

If you look at the threads there they are discussing losing FoxFi with the KitKat update and whether or not an update to FoxFi will enable them to use it again.

As I said in another thread, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks to all who have responded. I just found this site:

Anybody know anything about this? I am thinking I will not be getting the Ultra, since I have unlimited data and can use FoxFi on my Droid 2, wonky screen and all. Maybe there will be some new free hopspot in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by droidluv2 View Post
    Thanks to all who have responded. I just found this site:

Anybody know anything about this? I am thinking I will not be getting the Ultra, since I have unlimited data and can use FoxFi on my Droid 2, wonky screen and all. Maybe there will be some new free hopspot in the future!
    I read the article, but not sure I understand why this tells you that you can't use FoxFi. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? Or you just don't want to lose unlimited data by upgrading? That I can certainly understand!

Currently, if you have an unrooted Droid Ultra, Maxx, Mini, X running Kit Kat, FoxFI only works with USB or bluetooth tethering (i.e. cannot set up a hotspot). If you root, there are options.

However, to root the Ultra/Maxx/Mini/X you need to still be on Jelly Bean (4.2.2) and run some exploits first. With the X, there is an exploit to get back to 4.2.2 so you can root and the upgrade. With the Ultra/Maxx/Mini, once you update to Kit Kat, you can't go back. So if you want root, make sure you read up on XDA before you accept the update. This may not be an option for long as they're probably start (if they haven't already) shipping them with Kit Kat already installed.

Of course, you could get a Developer Edition (i know the Maxx has one, not sure about the Ultra and Mini) which would allow you to unlock the bootloader and get root.

Verizon offers a Max plan (not to be confused with the Maxx phone) for folks still on unlimited data. There is a 8 Gb with tethering plan for $50. If that compares favorably to your current rate, that may be a good option as you can skip all the tinkering around above. You can also purchase your phone on the Edge program to spread out payments and get earlier upgrades.
    Thanked by:

After speaking with "various individuals", I have been advised that the primary focus is to eliminate the ability to fully exploit the data availability that was accessible via the FoxFi application. Subjectivity, these updates have appeared to have crippled the accessibilities to an unlimited data resource. The purpose is simple. To limit data usage and force users of some current devices to participate in current data plans. There are ways around this however. What made the droid platform so appealing, was the ability to take advantage of it's application potential. This, in my opinion, is what attracted many to the market and gave the IPhone a run for it's money. In essence, it is about resource allocation and the all mighty dollar. I just hope that independent entities, such as FoxFi, will continue to find a way to circumvent these temporary set backs.....provided they have not been compromised by "external insentive"