Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adam_Guzmann
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "10 more attempts remain"

I don't know if this has already been posted or even solved(if so, please direct me), but this problem just happened to my dad on his new Droid Ultra.

Since it was brand spanking new he didn't lose much, but in the future it could be much more devastating.

He was testing out the pattern unlock feature and out of nowhere his phone turned off and factory reset everything.

I currently have the Droid RAZR HD running Jellybean and this isn't a feature(that I know of), if it was a feature on jellybean OS I would have warned him that it could be a possibility on KitKat.

What I want to know now is if there's any way to turn this OFF for his phone. I don't know if it is just a Verizon thing or not.

Please help soon, thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: "10 more attempts remain"

Welcome to Android Central! So are you saying he entered the incorrect pattern too many times, and then it factory reset? Or did it just factory reset in the middle of testing out the pattern unlock? As far as I know, the device shouldn't suddenly factory reset even if you enter the incorrect pattern too many times. It should just lock you out and prompt you to sign in to your Google account. There might be a problem with the phone itself, or the system software. If it's new, I would suggest bringing it back to Verizon and asking for a replacement.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

He got the pattern wrong too many times, and rather than giving him the option to enter his Google credentials it factory reset. Is this a feature within KitKat OS? Or a feature within Verizon or the Droid ultra?

Is the Verizon Support & Protection app installed? That might have this feature. If it's installed, check its settings.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I will next time I get a chance to talk to him about it. Thanks!

Posted via my Droid RAZR HD
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

My DROID Bionic did this as well. If I entered the wrong PIN too many times, it will factory reset. No in-between.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I did figure it out eventually.

After looking through every verizon app I decided to check the "device administrators" section of the pattern unlock settings. There are about 3 or 4 settings in there that all enable the factory reset option, just switch them all off and it goes back to normal, simply locking you out and asking for credentials.

Posted via my Droid RAZR HD
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Guzmann View Post
    I don't know if this has already been posted or even solved(if so, please direct me), but this problem just happened to my dad on his new Droid Ultra.

Since it was brand spanking new he didn't lose much, but in the future it could be much more devastating.

He was testing out the pattern unlock feature and out of nowhere his phone turned off and factory reset everything.

I currently have the Droid RAZR HD running Jellybean and this isn't a feature(that I know of), if it was a feature on jellybean OS I would have warned him that it could be a possibility on KitKat.

What I want to know now is if there's any way to turn this OFF for his phone. I don't know if it is just a Verizon thing or not.

Please help soon, thanks!