Build quality?

JobSteves

May 24, 2013
Visit site
So everyone in the mobile tech industry talks about how glass is a premium materal, metal is a premium material, and even soft touch is premium while plastic isn't.

Now I've had the iPhone 4S/5, Nexus 4, HTC One M7, and even the Lumia 920; all said to have premium build quality. My current daily driver is the Droid Ultra and my ex had the GS4.

That out of the way let me say I loathe cases. So glass phones are my favorite feeling material on a phone but the iPhone 4S/N4 were the slipperiest phones I've ever had so I don't ever want another all glass phone.

I hated htc one could get super cold and usually really hot when using it just because it metal.

I've handled a soft touch moto x before and it was the grossest feeling device I've ever held. Literally felt like I dunked my hand in a bacon grease.

The 920 felt amazing TO ME because it was polycarbonite (PLASTIC!!). It was a matte finish though. Now before you say I only liked it because it was matte, I've loove the feel of my Ultra. Yes it may feel "cheaper" but I prefer it over my previous metal and glass phones. I have the white ultra and the GS4 I used was also white so I didn't notice the bevy of finger prints on them that I know the black would show but I never noticed it feeling slippery or greasy.

I say this because the GS4/GS3 got crapped on because of the build and every review I saw on the ultra was making it out like a ****ty phone where as the same people would rave about the moto x.

I know almost everyone genuinely hates glossy plastic but I can't be the only that prefers it (except compared to a matte polycarbonte)???

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I liked the feel of the Ultra and Maxx over the Moto X too, so I'm also not the mainstream apparently. Most phones acquire fingerprints no matter what, but I am a case user so it's irrelevant to me. I also keep a cloth, like for eyeglasses, that I wipe my phone with regularly - particularly the screen. I can't stand a dirty screen but just using your phone is going to grease up the screen so wiping it off frequently is a must.

I know lots of folks don't like cases and I can certainly understand that. While I like a case, I don't like a BULKY case. Unless you are involved in a rough activity that requires it or you're a klutz ;-) I don't see the point. My hubby is a case in point, he always puts a big 'ole monster case on his phone and I hate that. I got him a perfectly lovely Maxx for Christmas and he has it covered up with a huge Otterbox knock-off case. Sigh....

Had my Ultra since last November and I love it. It is the perfect size and a solid, well-built phone. I use a slim case and people are always wanting to know what kind of phone I have, especially iPhone users. They say, "it's so thin and that screen is gorgeous!"

Anyway, I think the Ultra is ignored and very underrated by the techie community, but in the meantime I'm enjoying mine very much!

BTW, wish the white had been available when I got mine. I like white phones and I would use my Griffin reveal case more if I had white.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I think for me personally I don't like samsungs build because the devices have a lot of flex to them. My S3 and S4 just didn't feel well put together. Not that they were bad devices, but as smartphone specs become kinda the same for most devices the build quality has become more important to me. I'm gonna root it so software doesn't matter, and most phones have a passable camera which is all I need. My point is as smartphones have gotten better and there aren't as many things to point out as being bad people need to find something to complain about!

Posted via Android Central App

JobSteves

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I think for me personally I don't like samsungs build because the devices have a lot of flex to them. My S3 and S4 just didn't feel well put together. Not that they were bad devices, but as smartphone specs become kinda the same for most devices the build quality has become more important to me. I'm gonna root it so software doesn't matter, and most phones have a passable camera which is all I need. My point is as smartphones have gotten better and there aren't as many things to point out as being bad people need to find something to complain about!

Posted via Android Central App
I see what you mean about Samsung's feeling "flex-y" but the ultra feels super solid.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad