Having a weird camera issue with my Droid ULTRA..any help?

A

AC Question

Having a weird camera issue with my Droid ULTRA...

Hey all,

For some time now, my camera has not been working...kinda. If I use the regular app or any third party camera app, it comes up as a black screen, freezes, and closes down.

But then something weird happened.

I started playing Pokemon GO. On the bits where the camera is enabled (to throw Pokeballs), the camera works! Even more bizarre, if I open the camera app while Pokemon GO is running, it will work just fine! This applies to both the front and back camera, both of which had the issue I mentioned.

Only when the app is open though. When I close it and try to go back to the camera then no-go. I have done a reset on the phone, I have tried all kinds of third party apps, I have tried booting in safe mode. Nothing works except what I just mentioned.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on? I'd like to use the camera without opening Pokemon GO but I am OK with it for now since I can use my camera again, albeit in a convoluted way.

I was thinking about trying a custom kernel (insomuch as I can with a locked phone). Worth a shot?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have a Droid ULTRA through Verizon running AndroidOS 4.4.4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol