Visual Voicemail issue since GB update

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really sure if this was the cause, but since the GB update I've been having visual voicemail issues. Whenever there is voicemail activity, such as receiving a VM or even checking the VM app for new messages, I get a text message from the VZW system telling me I have "1 new voicemail messages" and to select the VM icon to install the application. Well, when I select the VM icon, I get the VM application. There is no option within the app to check or install new versions. There is no option in the device's Applications list to uninstall it, and it is not showing up in the list of Verizon applications in the Market. (If I search for it, it finds and older version).

After talking to VZW support, more than once, I have so far tried logging out and back into Visual VM, using *228 to "reprogram" the phone (twice), removed/readded the Visual VM service, and had my VM account removed and re-added to the network switch (by VZW tech). None of which has helped.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If you are unable to find a fix, you could cancel the service and use Google Voice. It's the equivalent of free visual voicemail.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried logging out and then back into app, if you open app and click menu and more, you should see the log out option.

Another thing to do after logging out is go to Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tab and then clear the cache and data from the Voicemail App. When you log back in all VM should sync back into the device and this may resolve your issue

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried logging out and then back into app, if you open app and click menu and more, you should see the log out option.

Second paragraph of my post.

Another thing to do after logging out is go to Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tab and then clear the cache and data from the Voicemail App. When you log back in all VM should sync back into the device and this may resolve your issue
Receiving the messages is not the problem. Getting the notification for the message from the VVM instead of a text message is the problem.

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the point of paying for Visual Voice Mail when Google Voice is free.

1. Don't have to have 2 numbers
2. Don't have to have a good data as well as signal strength..

Receiving the messages is not the problem. Getting the notification for the message from the VVM instead of a text message is the problem.

I understand this but the issue seems that the phone does not register that VVM is on device, it acts like you uninstalled it... If you log out and delete data when you open it again it will be like it was never ran it and registers it with the system again.

How does one use Google Voice on an existing number?

You cant without giving up number to Google, I dont get using Google Voice myself..

Last edited:

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I understand this but the issue seems that the phone does not register that VVM is on device, it acts like you uninstalled it... If you log out and delete data when you open it again it will be like it was never ran it and registers it with the system again.

Did not work. I'm still getting a text telling me to install the app.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
How does one use Google Voice on an existing number?

What do you mean? You just install the app and set it up. During the set up, you go to Call Settings and choose Google Voice instead of My carrier under Voicemail service. That way, anytime someone calls you, it goes directly to your Google Voice inbox. You don't have to have them call your Google Voice number; it handles the calls from your existing number.

You don't have to have anyone call or text your Google Voice number for any reason if you don't want. And you never have to place calls with it, either.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

You cant without giving up number to Google, I dont get using Google Voice myself..

Google Voice is the ONLY voicemail service I've ever used since being on Android -- not once have I ever used my Verizon voicemail on my X -- and I have not given my number to Google. It handles all of my calls to my regular number. I don't give out my Google Voice number for any reason.

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice is the ONLY voicemail service I've ever used since being on Android -- not once have I ever used my Verizon voicemail on my X -- and I have not given my number to Google. It handles all of my calls to my regular number. I don't give out my Google Voice number for any reason.

if this is the case why is it that so many users are asking about porting their number over to Google Voice and worrying about paying a ETA to do it? Maybe I misunderstood what everyone has been requesting because they kept saying that they didn't want to have two numbers?

UPDATE: OK this video cleared things up a bit for me but it seems that the user has to give out the new number for this to work or port their original number to receive info from calls and messages because Google Voice can't use the same number as your phone for receiving data.. Still seems like a bit much to receive calls and message in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0P_bLmCq7k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Did not work. I'm still getting a text telling me to install the app.

Are you are using stock VVM apparently or a 3rd party one from the market and also are you running a custom rom... If you are not using stock you need to disable the option to check for the stock apparently with the buildprop file.

Also you may want to check your account online and make sure VVM is still listed under options on account.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you are using stock VVM apparently or a 3rd party one from the market and also are you running a custom rom... If you are not using stock you need to disable the option to check for the stock apparently with the buildprop file.

Also you may want to check your account online and make sure VVM is still listed under options on account.
Not rooted, using the stock VVM app. Yes, I have VVM active on my account.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
if this is the case why is it that so many users are asking about porting their number over to Google Voice and worrying about paying a ETA to do it? Maybe I misunderstood what everyone has been requesting because they kept saying that they didn't want to have two numbers?

UPDATE: OK this video cleared things up a bit for me but it seems that the user has to give out the new number for this to work or port their original number to receive info from calls and messages because Google Voice can't use the same number as your phone for receiving data.. Still seems like a bit much to receive calls and message in my opinion.

No. I have never given out my Google Voice number, yet Google Voice handles all of my voicemail at my regular cell number. You only have to give out your Google Voice number if you want to receive calls or texts at that number. If you don't want to give out that number, but you want Google Voice to handle your voicemail for your regular line, then it can do that because Android is built for integration with Google Voice. Again, you just have to change your Voicemail service in the Settings (which is one of the steps of setting up the app).

If you don't believe me then you can download and set up the app on your phone and try it yourself.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Again, you just have to change your Voicemail service in the Settings (which is one of the steps of setting up the app).

So it will work even when the phone is off or out of coverage? IOW, will it set the cellular service to direct missed or ignored calls to Google Voice regardless of the online/offline status of the phone?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
No. I have never given out my Google Voice number, yet Google Voice handles all of my voicemail at my regular cell number. You only have to give out your Google Voice number if you want to receive calls or texts at that number. If you don't want to give out that number, but you want Google Voice to handle your voicemail for your regular line, then it can do that because Android is built for integration with Google Voice. Again, you just have to change your Voicemail service in the Settings (which is one of the steps of setting up the app).

If you don't believe me then you can download and set up the app on your phone and try it yourself.

I don't get how that would work, if the user calls your number or text you it will connect to the network and sends the info to your phone, how does Google Voice even receive your messages or calls or even knows that a call is being made?

I can get it if you ported the number because then Google voice will be the number being called and then transferred to device but with the number going straight from Verizon's network to your device how can it intercept calls or messages?

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how that would work, if the user calls your number or text you it will connect to the network and sends the info to your phone, how does Google Voice even receive your messages or calls or even knows that a call is being made?

I just set it up, and part of the setup has the user configure a no-answer-transfer sequence to the carrier. Now, I just need to figure out how to get it to not a) give me a Voicemail Alert, a Text Message alert and an Email Alert all for one frelling voicemail! Just a voicemail alert from the Google Voice app is sufficient.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance