SMS shows date of 1969 and can't be deleted. Seriously?

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
so i didn't see a thread on this when i searched but im running rooted gingerbread (.596) and i thought this bug was resolved in froyo already?

i'm using handcent and i cannot force delete the messages. basically anyone in my privacy box shows up on the main inbox as a blank message dated 1969, and when i delete new messages they just drop to the bottom as 1969. i wiped my phone this morning and reinstalled all my programs and that's when it started.

this is a bit disconcerting that this problem is still around. does anyone have any idea how to resolve it?

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
so i didn't see a thread on this when i searched but im running rooted gingerbread (.596) and i thought this bug was resolved in froyo already?

i'm using handcent and i cannot force delete the messages. basically anyone in my privacy box shows up on the main inbox as a blank message dated 1969, and when i delete new messages they just drop to the bottom as 1969. i wiped my phone this morning and reinstalled all my programs and that's when it started.

this is a bit disconcerting that this problem is still around. does anyone have any idea how to resolve it?

I had this problem on Froyo but with Emails... All my emails would show: December 31st, 1969.. When i updated to GB it fixed itself...Maybe .596 still has some Froyo still in it? maybe just the FRO....

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i remember those when i had my DX! lol i was smoking a bowl that day in the woods and then i got it! i was also watching lost at that point in my life. lol it was a strange trip. freaked me out for a while. good times

RnRExpress

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I've seen it on an HTC Desire before, and I found that the "sync clock with network" option was off. As soon as I enabled that, it seemed to resync and I was able to delete the 1969 sms messages. Don;t know if this will help out but I figure I'd toss it out.

Matt Passell

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Most of you probably aren't interested in why that particular date is coming up, but for those that are, it's because Unix/Linux treats that date as if it were the beginning of time (time zero). I've occasionally received emails with the same date coming from badly configured email servers.

trsohmers

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
That is actually a bug that occurs in all *nix systems, including Android... for more info on the actual bug, look here: Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tl;dr All unix system dates default to 00:00 AM on January 1st 1970 UTC... but because the US time is a couple of hours before that, it displays as December 31st 1969.
It sounds like this problem was server side (Verizon's fault) when sending the message to your phone... you can't really do anything about it unless your phone re-downloads the message (if the problem is actually server side)

Last edited:

alucky0

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
That is actually a bug that occurs in all *nix systems, including Android... for more info on the actual bug, look here: Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tl;dr All unix system dates default to 00:00 AM on January 1st 1970 UTC... but because the US time is a couple of hours before that, it displays as December 31st 1969.
It sounds like this problem was server side (Verizon's fault) when sending the message to your phone... you can't really do anything about it unless your phone re-downloads the message (if the problem is actually server side)

Well I've had a problem where the system time showed December 31st and this was what caused my problems; I don't think it was server side. What fixed me was to manually reset the time. After that, everything was normal and I could then sync the time w/ the network (weird, huh?)

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
well im also have a problem where the phone syncs nonstop and my battery dropped frmo 85 to 50% in a matter of 30 minutes so i have to re-wipe anyway so i just won't restore any of my sms messages to make sure this doesnt happen. my emails have been doing it too though which is also disappointing. i've said it before and i'll say it again, android OS developers simply aren't addressing the issues out there.

kwp217

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using DX and have had this problem with my VM. It shows that I have a VM dated 12/31/1969. Had to do a manual wipe to get the icon to go away. This has happened several times. I've just learned to ignore it.:(

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh no another y2k in in 31 years.... I better start preparations for yet another end of the world :(

Hopefully by then we'll have 64-bit systems (new PCs already have a 64-bit version of Win7 in most cases, just have to finish purging the XP scourge). They're working on 64-bit ARMs as well, but these are just stop-gap solutions that postpone the end of time a little while:
https://www.ebower.com/time/