X thinks the headphones are always plugged in

Scuzzelbutt

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The other day I noticed I could never hear a sound from the speaker, no music, no phone, nothing. I plugged the headphones in and the phone works fine. I did manage to make the phone "boop" through the speakers when changing the volume, but still get nothing otherwise. My buddy said use compressed air in the hole, his iPhone has a similar issue, but no luck.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue? I don't think anything is broken, but I think the phone thinks that headphones are plugged in all the time.

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The other day I noticed I could never hear a sound from the speaker, no music, no phone, nothing. I plugged the headphones in and the phone works fine. I did manage to make the phone "boop" through the speakers when changing the volume, but still get nothing otherwise. My buddy said use compressed air in the hole, his iPhone has a similar issue, but no luck.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue? I don't think anything is broken, but I think the phone thinks that headphones are plugged in all the time.
I had that exact thing happen to me, and "cured" it with a factory reset. Not sure what caused it, but I think it was software related, not hardware. (Running stock GB.) There may have been a less drastic fix for it, but I pulled the battery a few times to no avail and got frustrated and went nuclear with the hard reset! Hope you can find an easier solution!

Last edited:

Scuzzelbutt

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I found an app someone made for this issue called Audiotoggle, except it doesn't toggle, it is one way. It makes the speaker work, but the headphones will not until you reboot and set it back to the funky state. I'll have to look into other fixes, a factory reset sounds painful.

IrritatedAndroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I ran into this problem with my Droid X that I bought from a friend. The phone was brand spakin' new out of the box and had never been used. My friend had got it from his work but they had since switched from Verzion to AT&T. I had it for about 3 months when suddenly the audio from the ear piece stopped working and I could not hear anything however; when I plugged in headphones sound came out. I checked the settings under: 'Settings->Sound->Media Audio Effects' and low and behold it said 'connected' under 'Wired Stereo Devices' when there was no headset/headphones connected. I tried literally EVERYTHING to fix this problem. I did a hard reset, I took out the battery while it was running, and did a few phone restarts for good measure. I also did hours of searching and came across the forum as a matter of fact!

This obviously is some type of hardware issue with the phone. It seems lots of other people are having the same issue. So I called Verzion technical support because my phone was still under warranty. In their wisdom I had "voided" the warranty since I had purchased it from a friend even though he had never used it. What a great company policy!

I started to weap but found a solution! As someone mentioned on here there is a program called: "AudioToggle". It is NOT in the market place. You have to do a manual install but fear not I will guide you to the fix!

1) First go to this link: Paradox's Junk - Viewing Directory - android
2) Next download the file that says: "audiotoggle.apk". Save it somewhere on your computer where you can easily locate it later.
3) Now connect your android to your computer via USB. Put the file in step 2 somewhere on your phone's SD card. Personally I just put mine into a folder called 'apps' in the root directory.
4) Now on your phone go into 'Settings->Applications->' and check the box that says 'Unknown sources'. Normally android will block applications that are not on the Android Marketplace.
5) Finally, go into 'Menu->Files->SD Card->' and find the 'audiotoggle.apk'.
6) On your phone click on the 'audiotoggle.apk' file and it will install the 'Audiotoggle' application. It might give you some warnings about how this application is not certified, etc but just hit 'OK' or 'continue'

Wala! Once installed your ear piece speaker should now work again. I have been using it for the past 3 days and it has worked marvelously. Only issue is that you are unable to toggle the earpeice/headphone off and on. To use the headset/headphones I think you would probably have to kill the 'Audiotoggle' process and it would work through the headphones. This program is manually telling the phone that the headset is not connected.

It is kind of a hassle but it works! For me it was that or..spending $300-400 on a new Droid X. I plan to revamp this application a bit and make a 'toggle' button but it works for now.

Sorry for the long post! Hope this helps!

Reactions: blink1371

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
i've got the exact opposite problem. Speakers are fine, but no go on the headphones. Going to give the audio toggle a try tonight.

bryannh

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
im still having the issue even after doing what is posted above.

it still shows the headphone icon next to my wifi icon in the status bar. very annoying and cannot get rid of it, i've even tried cleaning out my headphone jack.

forky48

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing..if the headphone icon shows
at the top of your screen when the headphone is NOT plugged
in, phone volume will be off. This happens to me when I power
off with headphones plugged in..then power back on with
headphones unplugged...there maybe other ways to make this
happen.

Try plugging/unplugging headphones, or reboot with headphones
unplugged

Ruslans Gelbis

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Hey! I had the same problem with my LG Optimus. I was looking for the answer and came across to this page. I red about audio toggle app., and wanted to download it. :) Than happen something funny. I connected my phone to pc and disconnected it. The headset bar disappier :)

Belinda Nicholson

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem the last 2 days with my Droid 4. Found a free app called SoundAbout and I had it fixed within 5 minutes after searching for a fix all day. This app worked great for me so I thought I would share. Good Luck!

Mely tato

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Oh my gosh this app worked for my phone :))) thanks so much i was with my phone like this for over a month and could not figure out anything

styonsk

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Before you get the toggle app try cleaning. For me this turned out to be a hardware issue.

Take a q tip and tear off most of the cotton.
The remaining stick with a little bit of cotton attached should fit perfectly in the headphone jack.
Slide that into the jack and twist back and forth gently.
Pull out and repeat with the other side of the qtip.

keshiag80

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
App Soundabout fixed this issue!! My phone thought my headphones was plugged in so going to TV out clicking and the unclicking seemed to work but when i dialed my screen turned black and to disconnect the call I had to take my batt out. I downloaded this app and now all is good!

Alexandra Ferreira

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm having this problem with my Samsung S2. It says that "Earphones conected" when they are not. I've already installed SoundAbout, but nothing happened. Should I change some set at the app or in my phone now after installing? How does the app work? Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance