Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Remote desktop and dx

What's the best remote desktop client to use for a windows 7 laptop and your dx? I also. Read somewhere the home editions don't support it out of the box so what would i need to install on my laptop?

Sent from my Broodcomb using Tapatalk

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Default Re: Remote desktop and dx

IIn the past I've used RealVNC which will pair nicely with android-vnc-viewer. However, you'll need to know a bit about configuring your router to allow the appropriate ports to pass through to the right PC, make sure it's secured, and all sorts of other things if you want to access it outside of your home network (and please secure your WiFi before doing it, otherwise you'll open yourself up to anyone outside your house having the ability to use your PC whenever you want). Personally I only use VNC over an SSH tunnel since the passwords are passed in plaintext, but setting up an SSH server on Windows isn't something I'd recommend to most.

What may be easier for you is to explore services like LogMeIn or PhoneMyPC. Yes, they're paid apps, but if you're uncertain about the issues I mentioned above then they can save you a lot more in the long run thanks to added security.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbower View Post
    IIn the past I've used RealVNC which will pair nicely with android-vnc-viewer. However, you'll need to know a bit about configuring your router to allow the appropriate ports to pass through to the right PC, make sure it's secured, and all sorts of other things if you want to access it outside of your home network (and please secure your WiFi before doing it, otherwise you'll open yourself up to anyone outside your house having the ability to use your PC whenever you want). Personally I only use VNC over an SSH tunnel since the passwords are passed in plaintext, but setting up an SSH server on Windows isn't something I'd recommend to most.

What may be easier for you is to explore services like LogMeIn or PhoneMyPC. Yes, they're paid apps, but if you're uncertain about the issues I mentioned above then they can save you a lot more in the long run thanks to added security.
    Yeah I've heard about LogmeIn and may try it if there is a trial. I'm not too familar with the vpn stuff on my laptop so I wouldn't want to tinker too much with the vpn... I'd ruin it.

Create a free account in Log me in, buy the app and control your computer. I use it all the time. Schedule appointments from different towns. Works great!

If you do happen to end up going the RDP route Pocket Cloud is a good free client. The main difference between the paid and free version is that you are limited to 1024x768 (you really don't want it larger than this) and it saves only one connection bookmark.
    A better paid RDP client is iTap.

[tapatalk - shadow]

Talking Re: Remote desktop and dx

I have been using teamviewer. It allows you to log in to a computer from android, windows, and web. There is a client install and phone install. It will ask if you what it to configure your router for you also I would set up an account so that you don't have to use the access codes you can just associate your computers to your log in.

TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by mike.uhrig View Post
    I have been using teamviewer. It allows you to log in to a computer from android, windows, and web. There is a client install and phone install. It will ask if you what it to configure your router for you also I would set up an account so that you don't have to use the access codes you can just associate your computers to your log in.

TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet
    Go with TEAMVIEWER....it's FREE....app and pc client.