set up a .edu email?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
One thing that has always bothered me about android is that I haven't been able to set up my college email. It used to work fine on WM. My college uses outlook web app. I have tried everything to get it working. Is there a trick to get this working?

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Same here but mine uses google apps (gmail interface). The only workaround I've found was to forward any mail from that address to my personal gmail account.

ptf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Check with your schools it services. I had to download a special profile to set up my sisters.

deletion

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
That is weird. I have never had a problem with it. Your IT department should have done instructions on how to do it on their website. Even if you were to look up how to set up Microsoft Outlook in windows you could still find out the info.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I finally went to the IT department and asked them. I had to enter odd things for the domain and username. I would have never guessed on my own. Thanks for the help everyone!

ryanp098

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Try setting up as a exchange or active sync account...many college doesn't use POP3 format. Domain is normally the part of your address after the "@" symbol OR preceeded by, mail.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My school uses google apps for their mail also. I had to create a special password for mobile use that is different from my regular web access password. Contact your IT department to see what you need to do.

uncle rico 98

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem so I just used the setting from my Outlook Web App
Here's the way I did it for my X:

Go to Outlook Web App for your school and choose options.

Select account

At the bottom of the account page there should be a link that says Setting for POP 3... ect...
Click it.

It should open a window with all the Protocol Settings needed for your account.

Go to accounts on your phone and select a new account
Choose the manual config option.
In general settings fill in the correct info

For incoming server select IMAP server
Server name should match what your Protocol settings from the web app lists (ex. pod51000.outlook.com)
User name should be your full school email address
Password is your school email account pass
Select advanced settings and use the port from the protocol settings (ex Port 993)
check Use secure connection
Use secure pass = Always
check Verify Certificate

For outgoing server it should be the same as Incoming Server
Same thing for advanced setting with the outgoing SMTP port setting (ex 587)
Check secure
Use secure pass = never
Authentication = Auto
Check Verify Cert

Of course other settings is how many messages you want in you inbox. I chose 100

Don't know if this works for everyone and I am no IT genius... I just played around with it till I got it right.

Hope it works!

Last edited: