Hopefully a simple question for a kind of newbie.
    How hard (or simple) is it to connect to my home network while on the road? I have some networked devices at home that I would like to access from my phone. TIA for any info or advice.
    08-09-2011 08:05 PM
    If you enable remote access on your router, this should be possible, but opens you up for some security risks.
    08-09-2011 10:58 PM
    Which devices? If you're talking about DLNA you may be out of luck, that's not really meant to be shared across networks.

It's a bit advanced, but I do this all the time using secure SSH tunnels. I connect to a single exposed port on my home computer and then forward traffic to my internal IP cams, other computers, etc. SSH is encrypted and uses keys instead of passwords (think of a key as a 2000 byte long password I don't need to type in). For a novice this may be a little difficult to set up, but it's definitely a useful skill to learn.
    08-10-2011 05:18 AM
    When I am on the road I use LogMeIn on my laptop to access my PC. It is free and works great. I know they have an Android app for LogMeIn, but @ $29.99 I will stick with my laptop version.

LogMeIn for Android
    08-10-2011 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD