Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Connect to my home network while on the road

Hopefully a simple question for a kind of newbie.
    How hard (or simple) is it to connect to my home network while on the road? I have some networked devices at home that I would like to access from my phone. TIA for any info or advice.

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Default Re: Connect to my home network while on the road

If you enable remote access on your router, this should be possible, but opens you up for some security risks.
    Dumb phone -> BB8830WE -> BB Curve 8330 -> Incredible -> DROID X ----->Galaxy S3

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Which devices? If you're talking about DLNA you may be out of luck, that's not really meant to be shared across networks.

It's a bit advanced, but I do this all the time using secure SSH tunnels. I connect to a single exposed port on my home computer and then forward traffic to my internal IP cams, other computers, etc. SSH is encrypted and uses keys instead of passwords (think of a key as a 2000 byte long password I don't need to type in). For a novice this may be a little difficult to set up, but it's definitely a useful skill to learn.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

When I am on the road I use LogMeIn on my laptop to access my PC. It is free and works great. I know they have an Android app for LogMeIn, but @ $29.99 I will stick with my laptop version.

LogMeIn for Android