Don't want to be alerted for an email login failure

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
On my Droid X running stock Gingerbread, I have two email accounts configured. One of which has an intentionally munged server setting. I did this because it's the only way I know of to get the associated email address available on the phone to send with. I do not want it to check or email at all.

Whenever the phone is rebooted, I get alerted that there was a problem connecting to this account. Is there any way to get it to not alert me for this account? Or perhaps better, a better way to get a second email address to choose from when sending emails but NOT have the phone check that second address for mail?

This second address is an alias for the first. One is my "personal" address and the other is my "professional" address, emails to either go to the same inbox.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can go under settings-accounts- and then open that account settings and choose what to sync for that address, and uncheck all the boxes. If its not syncing mail, it might not try to log in. I don't know if that will solve the problem, though.

Sent from my DROIDX

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can go under settings-accounts- and then open that account settings and choose what to sync for that address, and uncheck all the boxes. If its not syncing mail, it might not try to log in. I don't know if that will solve the problem, though.

Nope, the Account Settings controls the access - server and login info. Going into the email access and changing what and when changes BOTH of the email accounts, not just the 'selected' one.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are mistaken, I just double checked on my phone. I have four accounts on my phone, all sync different things. My wife's gmail just syncs the calendar, my work email just syncs email, my gmail syncs everything, and another email is for youtube login and syncs nothing.
Under accounts you can click on any one account, and it will bring up the list of items to sync.

Sent from my DROIDX

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are mistaken, I just double checked on my phone. I have four accounts on my phone, all sync different things. My wife's gmail just syncs the calendar, my work email just syncs email, my gmail syncs everything, and another email is for youtube login and syncs nothing.
Under accounts you can click on any one account, and it will bring up the list of items to sync.

I am not mistaken, I checked the email account settings. There are no such settings for regular email accounts. At no time did I mention GMail, because I'm not talking about GMail.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry man, my work email isn't gmail either.

Then please be more specific about where these settings are, because I've looked everywhere on the phone I can think of and I have not found it. I have looked in the device Settings \ Accounts \ {account} and only found the server and login settings. I have looked in Messages \ {account} and setting that to not check for anything also sets the one I do use for incoming mail to also not check for messages.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I apologize, you're right about the account settings. I was wrong. Can you open the native email client on your phone at all? Or does it just give you the error notification?

Under settings in the native app, you can turn push notifications off and set the fetch schedule to manual. That might do it.

Sent from my DROIDX

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I apologize, you're right about the account settings. I was wrong. Can you open the native email client on your phone at all? Or does it just give you the error notification?

Under settings in the native app, you can turn push notifications off and set the fetch schedule to manual. That might do it.

Sent from my DROIDX

Not a bad idea there, then at least it won't be bringing in the mail for that account.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

The email client works just fine. The issue is I do not want to be alerted to a login failure on this one configured email account, because it is intentionally misconfigured. I get multiple such alerts whenever the phone is rebooted.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So if you disable push notifications and set the fetch schedule to manual in the client, does that help?

Since I do want to get alerted when new email arrives, I set it to fetch on a schedule. And contrary to what I was expecting, that seems to have worked. I'm not getting the login error on rebooting (expected). The unexpected part is that I thought that I would now get the error on the fetch schedule, but I'm not.

Turning off Push seems to have worked. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance