Battery and car dock

cell-hell

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
When I use my driodx for a gps in the car dock my charger does not seem to keep pace. When I remove phone it has lost its charge.
Anyone else seen this?

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You can buy a higher output Motorola charger on Amazon for like $10. Make sure it's the 950 or 1000 mA output one. That will keep up with GPS use.

cell-hell

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I here ya, but under details I'm not seeing charge rates on the Amazon site..
also I went and got another one from Verizon and the box does not state rates either.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I read in a different thread that the Droid X has a temperature sensor that doesn't allow the battery to accept a charge if the temperature is over a certain setting.

I've noticed on hot days I have the same situation you describe. Some people have reported that switching their car's AC to the defrost mode sends enough cool air to the Droid X to allow it to accept a charge.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I regularly use my car dock with GPS and am using the charger here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1193784 DX gets hot but it does actually pull a charge while running. Other chargers always came off lower than when I started.

On the flip side, I did have to move my dock as it was in front of a vent and I kept finding condensation. No damage, but better safe than sorry.

Another possible link in my performance is that I am rooted , rommed and over clocked.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I regularly use my car dock with GPS and am using the charger here Amazon.com: Motorola Atrix 4G MB860 Droid X MB810 Droid 2 A955 DROID X2 MB870 DEFY MB525 Droid 3 XT860 4G XT862 Photon 4G MB855 Droid Pro XT610 A957 DROID 2 Global MILESTONE XT720 OEM Cell Phone Micro USB Car Charger SYN1830A/SPN5400: Cell Phones & A My DX gets hot but it does actually pull a charge while running. Other chargers always came off lower than when I started.

I fixed your link. That's the charger I was referring to earlier.

ndreher

Feb 14, 2011
www.MusolinoMotorsports.com
I have the same charger and use it with my Car Dock. I never have had battery drain. Actually this past Friday I ran my GPS and Pandora at the same time on a 15% charge and by the time I got to my destination about an hour away hard a 65% charge on the battery.

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I seem to have issues on long trips that my DX will charge fully, then shut off. The backlight turns off even though I have told it to stay on. It drives me crazy! I use Car Home Ultra as a home screen replacement while in the car dock, but I don't think that is the issue because it happens with the stock car home screen as well.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I read in a different thread that the Droid X has a temperature sensor that doesn't allow the battery to accept a charge if the temperature is over a certain setting.

I've noticed on hot days I have the same situation you describe. Some people have reported that switching their car's AC to the defrost mode sends enough cool air to the Droid X to allow it to accept a charge.

I was also having the same issue. I noticed it would always stop charging when my phone was really hot. Now I moved my dock over a vent on my dash (not the defrost vent) and it stays nice and cool. No issues... other than occasionally the GPS will freeze.