Had an interesting convo w/ Verizon today....

FormerIphoney

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So I called to try to trouble shoot signal loss on my wife and I's phones and before we hung up she c/s asked me if I was interested in upgrading at full upgrade discount. I told her I just started the plan on Aug.12th 2010 and i didn't think i was available until April 2012.

She told me that when I joined up, they were running a promotion for smart phone lines to upgrade every year... I NEVER was told that previously...(not that I'm complaining)

I asked her if that is noted on the account, and she said yes. So, there it is.. I guess now all I have to do is figure out if I want the Bionic,Vigor or Nexus Prime. :p

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I checked mine and they are upgradeable too.
But I'm not impressed enough with what I see so far.
Last year I went from a Palm Centro to the X and was wowed big time.
This year the upgrade prospects aren't giving me the wow factor. LTE would be nice but I still think it isn't optimal yet. When VoLTE is real and batteries last as long or longer than the X. I'll take a more serious look.

[tapatalk - shadow]

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Ive had my vzw account for over four years and i have upgraded for full discount in less than a year every year. Typically verizon calls me and sends emails letting me know the time is close and i can go ahead. For instance my 1yr was in july and i tried an upgraded in may. Returned though. Waiting for bionic. Cant give up moto.

mechgamer123

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I started a new contract in August 2010, and I haven't gotten anything about an early upgrade, but i have a feeling that's because I upgraded my text messaging plan in April and it also got rid of my ne2 upgrade. Does anyone think it's worth pursuing with verizon?

FormerIphoney

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
To make things clear, I was never contacted about the update..it was brought up by them during a tech support issue.

I spoke to them regarding upgrading to an lte device in july and they never mentioned an upgrade was on the horizon next month.

To the guy that went from the palm to the dx, the bionic is supposed to have a great battery, especially for lte...if you compare out to the thunderbolt battery hog.

The other 2 phones are extremely big upgrades as well, with beautiful screens, lte, twice the ram, more on board memory and 1.2-1.5 dual core respectfully.

Not sure what you'd consider a more substantial upgrade than that.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you'd consider a more substantial upgrade than that.

From last year:
Mozilla Seabird 2D - YouTube

Eight months ago:
What is being creative? on Vimeo

Yeah, I realize that battery technology is nowhere near where it needs to be; this is what it was like stepping up from my Palm to the X.
Compared to these, the upcoming phones are like slightly upgraded versions of the X. Great for the buyer just entering the market from dumbphones and blackberries. But $200 more than what I paid for my X doesn't do it for me.
But who knows. I am a techie and have fallen in love with this tech, I may be rocking a Bionic before Christmas. :cool:

FormerIphoney

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what the point of posting those videos is. Those are pure artistic concept and have no real production from what I can see.

I remember in back to the future II they said we would have flying skateboards by now, but I haven't seen those either.

bcpalma

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Similar experience on my end, but it never works out. The phone reps promise me the world and "note" the account. The in-store reps never honor it.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
When I went to the local Verizon store they said I could upgrade at full discount in Dec of 2011. That's only 1 year as well. I was complaining about my DroidX a little.