Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Random Reboots Worsening

I have an unrooted Droid X. No special apps or anything like that. I have noticed that my amazing but annoying phone will reboot if I get a text while in my car, listening to music, while charging, etc. It's very random and very aggravating. I took it to the store and they moved my apps to the sd card, thinking it would help. It hasn't. What do I do at this point?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Sprint Rep as of August 2010
    iPhone 4 >> Samsung Galaxy S3 >> iPhone 5 >> HTC One >> Samsung Note 2

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Default Re: Random Reboots Worsening

Reboots are typically caused either by an app, or an issue (corrupt file, etc.) on your SD card.

If it's an app, you would just have to uninstall apps until you found the one causing the reboots.

If it's the SD card, you need to format it. Copy the contents of your SD card over to a computer, then format the card. Verify that that fixes the issue, then gradually (some each day) copy stuff back onto the card. If there is a corrupt file and you just copy the data off, format, and copy the data back, you'll likely be right back in the same boat.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Oh, and if neither of those work, you can try doing a factory reset, if you haven't already.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Really? Head over to the Moto owners forums and you will find NOTHING works. It is the firmware update, and nothing except a Moto fix will fix it. Don't hold your breath!

Quote Originally Posted by cron912 View Post
    Oh, and if neither of those work, you can try doing a factory reset, if you haven't already.

Hi,

I had the exact same issues and kept reading on various forums specifically this one and used the simple rooting method. I then overclocked my phone with "quick clock advanced" very simple process which increased the performance of my phone a great deal. Next I downloaded "Titanium Backup" and reviewed the forum for apps that can be frozen. Finally, I read on another forum about an app called memory manager and I have not had one single issue for over a month. I know it's alot of steps, but my phone was unbearable with the rebooting issue especially during work hours. My phone is working flawless at this point the performance is amazing.

Just my 2 cents, I hope it helps.

i started having this problem and flashed apex. i'm so much happier now.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

I agree, my reboot prob was unbearable until I started using Liberty GB. Once I got on a Rom, it happens at most once a week(even though now that I've mentioned it I'm sure it will happen in the next few hours)
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney

ROM
    MIUI!!

My reboots weren't that bad but they stopped once I rooted and flashed Miui. Best rom out if you wanna customize. Haven't had one reboot in months.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Although I am not getting constant reboots (maybe 1 a day), I am getting total freezes when waking up the phone...especially after the recent update. No, I'm not rooted and have no apps that have ever caused a problem prior to the recent update. There are times when I have to totally remove the battery just to get the phone to respond...ugh...
    VX6700: Using as a doorstop
    Treo 755: Kids use it as a toy phone
    Storm 1: They make great coasters for shot glasses!
    Droid X: Gets better every day...

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDHunz View Post
    Although I am not getting constant reboots (maybe 1 a day), I am getting total freezes when waking up the phone...especially after the recent update. No, I'm not rooted and have no apps that have ever caused a problem prior to the recent update. There are times when I have to totally remove the battery just to get the phone to respond...ugh...
    Please please flash a Rom! Sensi's Rom is giving my husband over 16 hours of battery and absolutely no problems. He doesn't play games but uses it all day for work.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    ROM
    Codename Android/GlaDOS

So I've gotta say the sd card is not a likely problem. I think the best thing you can do is a factory reset. Somewhere along the way a system file is causing a problem. And a factory reset is more likely to work than randomly uninstalling apps. If you are willing to root then use the clockwork recovery to wipe cache and dalvik as well. It usually is just a factory reset needed though. I have done it for several people. If it is something imbedded enough in the phone you may need to sbf though. Instructions for all of that are available in the forums or feel free to pm me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    MIUI 1.3 Ghz supercharged

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

That might be the route that I have to go if I keep the DX...my contract is up soon and I can already upgrade early, so I am not sure what I will move to next...the new RAZR seems awesome, but we have no LTE here and will be one of the last places to typically get it...makes no sense to have a phone with capabilities that you can't even use...but my opinion only.
    VX6700: Using as a doorstop
    Treo 755: Kids use it as a toy phone
    Storm 1: They make great coasters for shot glasses!
    Droid X: Gets better every day...