Cleaned out SD card, but deleted music still shows up

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I was running out of space on my 32 gig microSD card, so I deleted a bunch of stuff from the card, thinking everything would be fine.

My various apps which report the space open on the card correctly report about 13 Gigs free.

But when I opened my music app, Player Pro, all the old music still showed up! I thought maybe there is some cache in there, but I have no idea where that directory is located. So I deleted the app, then reinstalled it from my backup (app only, no data). The problem persists.

I also tried other music apps, and the deleted music still shows up there too.

I tried pulling my battery several times, to no avail.

It is starting to sound like I have to reformat my microSD card, after backing up all the files to an external location.

ETA: When I try to play music that is actually on the SD card, I get this error: Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file. It is an mp3 file.

Of course, many of my apps are running off the SD card, so I may have to move a bunch of them to the phone.

Is there any easy way to fix this issue? I use my phone all the time to play music, and to not be able to do so is a real drag.

Also, the whole reason I cleaned off files was because every time I tried to play music through Bluetooth and Player Pro, the phone went completely dead and only came back after a battery pull. I thought maybe cleaning off some files would free up space for proper operation.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Elizabeth

Last edited:

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I am also getting this error if I try to play music that is actually still on the card:

Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file.

I am starting to suspect a corrupt card, though it was working fine earlier. It is only the music that is an issue here.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I went further and cleaned out some odd sounding files from the folder where I store my music. Now I am only seeing music that is copied to the card. Wouldn't mind hearing from people who have had similar problems as well as how you resolved the issue.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
SD card access is woefully slow. It takes forever to access folders through Astro Pro. I have never had a problem like this before, and it is incredibly frustrating. And searches on Google haven't yielded much help.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried reformatting your card? Just make sure you back everything up so you can just copy it all back on after the format.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Reformatting (for me) is a last resort. As I indicated above, many of my apps are on that SD card. I fear that reformatting means I will have to move every one of them back to the phone even before doing a backup.

My card is only 6 months old. I shouldn't think it would start to fail so quickly. And it only started to have this issue after I deleted files off the card via my PC. It seems odd that suddenly I have this problem.

Of course, before that, my phone shut down while playing music, which is what led to this whole problem.

I suspect there are index and caches in various locations and I just have to find them.

As of now, the only app that correctly reports my music files is Doubletwist.

Thanks for your suggestion, and I will keep it under advisement if all else fails.

ElefantPhace

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Tried running the media scanner? Not sure if there is a way to do with with out the help of an app or widget though. I use widgetsoid and it has a media scanner shortcut

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I installed Widgetsoid and I saw the Media Scanner under Sound, but all it seems to do is turn on or off Media Scanner. But no scanning seems to be happening.

ElefantPhace

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
No it does scan. It lights up while scanning then turns off when done. If that still didn't help though... try unmounting sdcard, scan, mount, scan again. Then maybe a power cycle ...

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What he said about manually triggering a media scan. Note too, that you can manually trigger one by unmounting/remounting the card by simply plugging the phone into your computer via USB, wait the card to be seen on the desktop and then unplugging from the computer. But while it's there...

When doing file operations of more than just a couple of items at time, I find it a LOT faster to do so from a computer. Every file manager I've tried on the Droid bogs down when trying to delete or more more than a few items at a time and it's tedious to do so in batches of one or two items.

I, too, use Player Pro for audio, and when I've manually deleted music, the deleted items are no longer there at all in anything I use on the phone. I also do that mass deletion using the aforementioned desktop method. When done and unplugging from the computer, the media scanner kicks in once the card is automatically re-mounted in the Droid.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I generally use my computer to delete items or copy items to the card. I got an updated version of Player Pro and now the correct music is listed. Perhaps installing over the last version forced it to do an updated scan and corrected the issue.

North21

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same thing happen and spent the last half hour scouring the internet and trying things. What is causing deleted music to continue to show up is disk images that are stored in the PlayerPro folder. The media scanner finds these and causes android to think that the music still exists. If you uninstall PlayerPro, delete the folder left behind, and restart the phone then the problem will be solved.

Darkensdiablos

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I allmost have the same problem with deleted songs still showing in winamp and stock musicplayer (galaxy SII, android 4.0.4). The difference is, that the ghost files are showing up even when the sd card is removed..
I have tried deleting obvious music folders but the problem still persists.. even tried to install playerpro just so I could run it and uninstall it ;)

Darkensdiablos

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, got it working again, here's how.

got to settings - applications, press the "All" flag and locate and select "Media Storage", press "clear data" - ok
thats it :) - dunno if reboot is required, I did, as I had to reinsert my ext. sd-card

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad