Return of the Droid X

lens pirate

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to a Moto Razr and retired my droid x on the 11th.

Yesterday the wife wanted to upgrade her feature phone to a smart phone.

I did a factory wipe on my old Droid X. Bought her a new extended battery and configured her phone
in Newbie Wife mode. I activated it for her at verizon.

Spend about 30 mins walking her though basic functions and another 30 mins having her do hands on practice doing calls and contact listg, emails and so on..

I was pleasantly reminded what a great phone this is. She loves it. She sees little difference between it and my Razr and feels really served by this upgrade.

Sort of makes me wonder why I always feel like I need to upgrade to the latest phone!

Good Job Moto.... the DroidX is STILL one of the best phones out there!

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Like most computing devices it's just fine until you start adding stuff and...you know, actually using it. :)

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Droid X and I was surprisingly underwhelmed when I tested the Bionic and Razr at a local Verizon store.

The biggest surprise to me was the insignificance of the higher LTE speed for most of the sites I visit on the Internet. The difference in loading pages was often less than a second different between 3G and 4G.

The other surprise was how bad the display was on the Bionic - it seems like a big step backward from what I have on my Droid X.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm still liking my X a lot as well. I am tempted by the Rezound, but I think I'll hold onto my X for awhile longer. I played with both the RAZR and the Rezound at the store, and I really didn't like the overall feel of the RAZR.

I mostly want the 4G speeds to watch netflix and youtube easier. 3G speeds in my area barely allow me to stream podcasts. If I need to download/update an app, I never do it over 3G. Too slow. I always have to wait until I get on wifi.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I have had my X from the beginning and just recently rooted and it feels like a new phone. The X is still an incredible phone.

amojeba

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll be honest, I switched to iPhone 4S for about a month. But I couldn't handle it, not at all what I expected. It was much too limited in what it allows you to do.

I'm back to Droid X and feel it's a much powerful phone and much more capable OS than anything else.

I've dabbled in some custom droid x roms, but haven't found anything I'm crazy about. Any recommendations you guys might have for solid roms with no (or few) bugs?

SammyRocker5150

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I love this thread! I am such a fan of the Droid X. Best phone of 2010 in my opinion.

I was HIGHLY dissapointed by the Droid X2. It is a inferior product in my opinion. the Bionic was a fail as well. The RAZR is the true successor to the Droid X in my opinion. I think that phone is great actually. Id like to upgrade to a Nexus on Friday, but I am going to miss that Motorola call and signal quality!

I loved flashing all the liberty roms, as well as CM7. In my opinion, Liberty 3 is a rom that keeps this phone relevant another year i think, especially with the motorola extended battery. I get three days of battery out of this puppy!

I pose a question to you guys. What kind of phone would it take to get you guys out of using a droid x? RAZR? Nexus? or something next year? Im jumping ship to the nexus, but if the Droid X3 that was seen in China is a quad core ICS phone i will probably get that out of contract.

DrDiff

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I want a phone that combines the screen of the nexus the processor and ics of the razar and the removable battery/memmory of my DroidX.

Motorola IMHO f-c-ed up with the non removable battery on the razar. And hasn't gotten a screen right since the X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I love my Droid X, it should be a great phone for a long time! I have the Droid X2 also and the only thing I like better with it is being able to see the screen when using HDMI out. I use the Liberty 3 Version 1 Rom, havent had any problems with it, I love the regular theme color style, although I havent noticed any performance boost from stock. But once rooted and installed it did free up a good bit of ram.

Long Live the Droid X!

Last edited:

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I love this thread! I am such a fan of the Droid X. Best phone of 2010 in my opinion.

I was HIGHLY dissapointed by the Droid X2. It is a inferior product in my opinion. the Bionic was a fail as well. The RAZR is the true successor to the Droid X in my opinion. I think that phone is great actually. Id like to upgrade to a Nexus on Friday, but I am going to miss that Motorola call and signal quality!

I loved flashing all the liberty roms, as well as CM7. In my opinion, Liberty 3 is a rom that keeps this phone relevant another year i think, especially with the motorola extended battery. I get three days of battery out of this puppy!

I pose a question to you guys. What kind of phone would it take to get you guys out of using a droid x? RAZR? Nexus? or something next year? Im jumping ship to the nexus, but if the Droid X3 that was seen in China is a quad core ICS phone i will probably get that out of contract.
I still LOVE my DX.....Buuut, it seems to be lagging on the touch keys....My son is chomping at the bit for the Nexus--but I'm not going ANYWHERE till this darn contract is up. This time I MEAN it! LOL

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been everywhere from the Eris to the Droid 3 I always keep coming back to the x. I love it. I just wish it had a bigger screen.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I use the Liberty 3 Version 1 Rom, havent had any problems with it, I love the regular theme color style, although I havent noticed any performance boost from stock. But once rooted and installed it did free up a good bit of ram.

Long Live the Droid X!

I've been running Gingerbread on my stock Droid X and I'm mostly happy - the only thing I've noticed is some GPS issues.

I've thought about rooting my phone but there really aren't any apps that I need that I can't get with the stock version. My main reason to root would be to make the phone faster - there's currently a long lag time when I launch Google Music or the Flashlight app. Would rooting my phone make it faster or would my experience parellel yours and I wouldn't notice a difference?

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure. I can only speak of my experience. I have the same lags rooted stock, stock, and with liberty rom. Not a big deal though, just a little lag when opening certain apps, specifically the browser for me. I'm going to try some other roms also just to explore the options. But I'm very happy with my X and was very happy with me X2 until it got ran over. Still hoping to be able to get replacement parts for it, and repair myself.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been having some hardware problems with my x, and cust service offered me a very early upgrade to fix it. The only condition: no RAZR, no iPhone, no Nexus. So I waited a couple days, thought about it, and called back.

New rep tells me she can't bump my upgrade this far up (us launch day 2 years people aren't eligible until March) BUT because I have the insurance my current problem is covered under extended warranty. Replacement phone is in the mail now. Didn't pay a dime, got a functional X. Couldn't be happier to wait out my remaining 3 months.

mnor

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. Still love my X.

Followed the release of the GN but once I checked it out at the store, felt I might wait for better hardware and a little bigger screen to come along.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
:what:
Please tell me you're joking about waiting for a bigger screen! I could move up to the Nexus screen happily, but anything significantly bigger will be too big for my (I think average-sized) hands.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk and Swype, so please forgive any spelling errors.

mnor

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
No joke. Sadly as I've gotten older my eyes just don't see as well as they use to. I hate wearing glasses, but now its no longer an option. The bigger screen would be nice.

A 5" screen would be about the limit for carrying in a back pocket.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12