Droid X slowing down

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have noticed recently that everything on the X has been slowing down. I know that after 18 months (or a little longer) of use, things are going to get jammed up a bit.

I am not a big game fan, so I have maybe 2 games on my phone, and they are basic old timer games (Tetris and Pac-man).

I saw an older post about slowing down and it recommended doing a clean cache, involving turning the phone off and then turning it back on by holding power button and home button until a android and ! came up. But when I do this, it stays on that screen, and does not move forward once the "search" button is hit.

Can anyone provide the instructions of how to clean cache for me and see if it helps. I only have a little bit longer until the upgrade, but if at all possible, I would like to wait until at least July to see what new phones Motorola brings out before just going ahead and upgrading to the RAZR.

Thanks
Doug

bcpalma

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was literally going to post the same thing right now, LOL. My poor DX has really slowed. I am stock everything with no games. I see the instructions on clearing cache / booting into recovery. Will it jack up my phone by doing so?

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No, it will not jack up your phone. It leaves everything on your phone, including all of the apps. I think it just kind of cleans up the memory (or something like that).

I know I did this one time before on my phone (probably about 9 months ago, and had no problems.

DMBAdict04

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have the X and we experienced this slow down.

I cleared the cache, did the factory reset, etc. Nothing brought it back to life and they hadn't been the same since we first bought the phones.

So to experiment, I decided to SBF our phones back to Froyo and I'm happy to report that they are running great! With the X, the improvements were minor when upgrading to GB so I saw no problem in going back to Froyo.

My phone is once again the phone I fell in love with when I bought it. I tried custom ROMs but they were too high maintenance for me to really enjoy them. So if you're looking to really speed up your phone, sbf back to froyo.

I took it a step further and rooted/freezed the bloatware. The phone isn't as fast as some of the custom ROMs out there but it def. beats stock GB.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
This may not be related to the problems expressed in this thread, but I noticed my X really started to lag once I started using Google Music.

I downloaded about 10 - 12 albums from the cloud and I guess they're stored on the phone's internal memory. There's no way that I know of where songs downloaded for Google Music can be stored on the SD card.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
DING, DING, DING. I think we have the answer.

I think it started to slow down right around that time. I did not think you could download the Google Music from the cloud on your phone. I have only purchased maybe 2 albums from Google Music.

I will check this out and see what happens.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I did not think you could download the Google Music from the cloud on your phone. I have only purchased maybe 2 albums from Google Music.

I will check this out and see what happens.

Google Music has a "Make Available Offline" feature which allows you to download selected music from the cloud and store it on the phone. The concept is this allows the user to listen to music even if it's not possible to stream from the Internet.

I occasionally spend time in areas with spotty data service so I downloaded all of my music with the "Make Available Offline" feature and it's definitely slowed my phone down.

I've read a number of threads on different forums and it doesn't appear there's an easy way to store Google Music downloads on the SD card.

landtuba

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I know this sounds crazy, but try buying a new battery. This made a huge difference for me. When these batteries get old, they start to bulge. (Try spinning it on a counter top.) My best guess for why a new battery fixes things is that the bulging battery interferes with the Droid X heat dissipation. When it starts to sense that it's over temperature, the CPU slows itself down to cool off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800