I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

RiNwln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I previously used Droid 3 easy root script v7 to root my DX after a replacement DX with no problem. The problem I have now is that I can't do the update. I removed all traces of root (that I'm aware of) with OTA RootKeeper and then Ginger Unroot. Busybox and superuser are both off of my DX and none of my root apps will work. One would think my DX is unrooted........is it not? Any help would be appreciated.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I rooted with one of the one-click options a couple weeks ago. Yesterday, I installed the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and then upgraded to GB 2.3.4 (.621) with zero problems, and OTA Rootkeeper restored my root. Painless, except for the anxiety when the update progress bar appeared to stall half way through. :)

DJCUEBALL

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I used Voodoo to unroot, but the update still failed to install. It downloads, reboots, but it doesn't even go into the installation process... it brings up the Motorola logo, loads up my phone and gives error "Software Update Failed"

Any help is appreciated.

RiNwln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what is happening to me too. I did my girlfriends DX the same way and am having the same issues. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully somebody has a solution soon.

DJCUEBALL

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately no one seems to have any fixes for it yet. I'm guessing the more people report this, the much easier it's going to be to apply a fix.

SterlingVT

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I previously used Droid 3 easy root script v7 to root my DX also and downloaded the update last with no problem, without un-rooting. I lost root, but DX is working great. Google music is even working now.

DJCUEBALL

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I finally got this fixed and to work flawlessly... for me anyway. Been doing research and it seems that if you have any APK files renamed that came stock with DX, you have to rename them to the original file name.

I had blockbuster.apk renamed to blockbuster.apkold as well as backupassistantclient.apk to backupassistantclient.apkold. Hope you haven't deleted any of the stock apps because I don't know what would happen. I would also assume, if you have these stock apps frozen with Titanium, that you'd have to unfreeze them.

Once I renamed them back to just .apk, I then used Voodoo to temporary unroot, downloaded the update, the phone rebooted and installed it. Booted up, launched Voodoo and restored root and everything worked.

Hope this helps out and good luck.

superablezeus#AC

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same issue as everyone else. I would download the phone, it would reboot, but when I got to the home screen, i was getting the update failed message. Since I this update actually had a fix for the wifi hotspot issue, (which had irritatated me to no end over the summer) I called VZW tech support. I explained what was happening, and came to find that i was three updates out of date. The CSR stated they it wasnt their intentions to have phone in use that were sofware out-of-date, so they are shipping me another replacement phone on monday.

In the meantime, I am going to mess around and see what I can do to remedy this condition myself.

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same issue as everyone else. I would download the phone, it would reboot, but when I got to the home screen, i was getting the update failed message. Since I this update actually had a fix for the wifi hotspot issue, (which had irritatated me to no end over the summer) I called VZW tech support. I explained what was happening, and came to find that i was three updates out of date. The CSR stated they it wasnt their intentions to have phone in use that were sofware out-of-date, so they are shipping me another replacement phone on monday.

In the meantime, I am going to mess around and see what I can do to remedy this condition myself.

Hopefully the one they send is still on .605, that way you can root it, run Voodoo and get root back. I'm sure it will, would suck if .621 was on there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there a definitive way to upgrade to this new 621 from rooted 605 without losing root and configuration? Anyone confirm that it does work? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID X using Tapatalk.

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there a definitive way to upgrade to this new 621 from rooted 605 without losing root and configuration? Anyone confirm that it does work? Thanks!

Ya, use the Voodoo RootKeeper app mentioned. But I wouldn't take the update if you want to flash ROM's or themes in the near future possibly ever. The only updates I want, need or will ever take again for the X are the ones that the devs put out for their ROM's. There's no way back yet if you pull the trigger and take the .621 update.

guitarmantyler

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I got the update to work. I reverted to a nandroid backup that was a fresh root. I unrooted with voodoo, loaded the update, and then rerooted. No problems so far.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm on .605 rooted (I SWEAR I haven't don't anything else past that ...like rename bloat apks and such) and I cannot get the update to take. This is really starting to frustrate me. Anyone have any ideas?

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on .605 rooted (I SWEAR I haven't don't anything else past that ...like rename bloat apks and such) and I cannot get the update to take. This is really starting to frustrate me. Anyone have any ideas?

Flash CM7/9 and forget about that crap Moto update! ;) hah, I'm not touching that .621 for anything.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my DROID X using Tapatalk.

Absolutely, others in this thread have said that too, using the OTA Rootkeeper app from Voodoo, available in the Market. I used it for the upgrade on my DX last week, with no problems at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol