Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PappaFloyd
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    RiNwln's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I previously used Droid 3 easy root script v7 to root my DX after a replacement DX with no problem. The problem I have now is that I can't do the update. I removed all traces of root (that I'm aware of) with OTA RootKeeper and then Ginger Unroot. Busybox and superuser are both off of my DX and none of my root apps will work. One would think my DX is unrooted........is it not? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. #2  
    gordol's Avatar

    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock GB 2.3.4

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I rooted with one of the one-click options a couple weeks ago. Yesterday, I installed the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and then upgraded to GB 2.3.4 (.621) with zero problems, and OTA Rootkeeper restored my root. Painless, except for the anxiety when the update progress bar appeared to stall half way through.
    --
    PDA/Smartphone path: Palm IIIx -> various Sony Clies -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> iPhone 3G -> Crapberry Storm2 / iPod Touch -> Droid X -> iPhone 5
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I used Voodoo to unroot, but the update still failed to install. It downloads, reboots, but it doesn't even go into the installation process... it brings up the Motorola logo, loads up my phone and gives error "Software Update Failed"

    Any help is appreciated.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    RiNwln's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    That's exactly what is happening to me too. I did my girlfriends DX the same way and am having the same issues. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully somebody has a solution soon.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Unfortunately no one seems to have any fixes for it yet. I'm guessing the more people report this, the much easier it's going to be to apply a fix.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I previously used Droid 3 easy root script v7 to root my DX also and downloaded the update last with no problem, without un-rooting. I lost root, but DX is working great. Google music is even working now.
    Env>Storm1>Droid X>Droid Bionic
  7. #7  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I finally got this fixed and to work flawlessly... for me anyway. Been doing research and it seems that if you have any APK files renamed that came stock with DX, you have to rename them to the original file name.

    I had blockbuster.apk renamed to blockbuster.apkold as well as backupassistantclient.apk to backupassistantclient.apkold. Hope you haven't deleted any of the stock apps because I don't know what would happen. I would also assume, if you have these stock apps frozen with Titanium, that you'd have to unfreeze them.

    Once I renamed them back to just .apk, I then used Voodoo to temporary unroot, downloaded the update, the phone rebooted and installed it. Booted up, launched Voodoo and restored root and everything worked.

    Hope this helps out and good luck.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Voodoo worked great for me also.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    RiNwln's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I totally forgot to unfreeze my apps before updating. I already factory reset my phone too. Now the hard part of figuring out what is missing. I can't believe I forgot to do that.

    The site below has a list of all DX .apk files

  10. #10  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I was having the same issue as everyone else. I would download the phone, it would reboot, but when I got to the home screen, i was getting the update failed message. Since I this update actually had a fix for the wifi hotspot issue, (which had irritatated me to no end over the summer) I called VZW tech support. I explained what was happening, and came to find that i was three updates out of date. The CSR stated they it wasnt their intentions to have phone in use that were sofware out-of-date, so they are shipping me another replacement phone on monday.


    In the meantime, I am going to mess around and see what I can do to remedy this condition myself.
  11. #11  
    PappaFloyd's Avatar
    Dab King

    Posts
    62 Posts
    ROM
    BAKED 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RiNwln View Post
    I totally forgot to unfreeze my apps before updating. I already factory reset my phone too. Now the hard part of figuring out what is missing. I can't believe I forgot to do that.

    The site below has a list of all DX .apk files

    Do you have a Nandroid you did for stock/rooted GB? You could just restore if so.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
  12. #12  
    PappaFloyd's Avatar
    Dab King

    Posts
    62 Posts
    ROM
    BAKED 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superablezeus View Post
    I was having the same issue as everyone else. I would download the phone, it would reboot, but when I got to the home screen, i was getting the update failed message. Since I this update actually had a fix for the wifi hotspot issue, (which had irritatated me to no end over the summer) I called VZW tech support. I explained what was happening, and came to find that i was three updates out of date. The CSR stated they it wasnt their intentions to have phone in use that were sofware out-of-date, so they are shipping me another replacement phone on monday.


    In the meantime, I am going to mess around and see what I can do to remedy this condition myself.
    Hopefully the one they send is still on .605, that way you can root it, run Voodoo and get root back. I'm sure it will, would suck if .621 was on there.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
  13. #13  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    A friend got a refurb dx a few days after gingerbread was released for it, the refurb came with gingerbread installed.
  14. #14  
    mooch91's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

    Default

    Is there a definitive way to upgrade to this new 621 from rooted 605 without losing root and configuration? Anyone confirm that it does work? Thanks!

    Sent from my DROID X using Tapatalk.
  15. #15  
    gordol's Avatar

    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock GB 2.3.4

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mooch_91 View Post
    Is there a definitive way to upgrade to this new 621 from rooted 605 without losing root and configuration? Anyone confirm that it does work? Thanks!
    Yes, see my post above: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!
    --
    PDA/Smartphone path: Palm IIIx -> various Sony Clies -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> iPhone 3G -> Crapberry Storm2 / iPod Touch -> Droid X -> iPhone 5
  16. #16  
    PappaFloyd's Avatar
    Dab King

    Posts
    62 Posts
    ROM
    BAKED 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooch_91 View Post
    Is there a definitive way to upgrade to this new 621 from rooted 605 without losing root and configuration? Anyone confirm that it does work? Thanks!
    Ya, use the Voodoo RootKeeper app mentioned. But I wouldn't take the update if you want to flash ROMs or themes in the near future possibly ever. The only updates I want, need or will ever take again for the X are the ones that the devs put out for their ROMs. There's no way back yet if you pull the trigger and take the .621 update.


    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
    jerseyboy357 likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I got the update to work. I reverted to a nandroid backup that was a fresh root. I unrooted with voodoo, loaded the update, and then rerooted. No problems so far.
  18. #18  
    gafly's Avatar

    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    I'm on .605 rooted (I SWEAR I haven't don't anything else past that ...like rename bloat apks and such) and I cannot get the update to take. This is really starting to frustrate me. Anyone have any ideas?
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle
  19. #19  
    PappaFloyd's Avatar
    Dab King

    Posts
    62 Posts
    ROM
    BAKED 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gafly View Post
    I'm on .605 rooted (I SWEAR I haven't don't anything else past that ...like rename bloat apks and such) and I cannot get the update to take. This is really starting to frustrate me. Anyone have any ideas?
    Flash CM7/9 and forget about that crap Moto update! hah, I'm not touching that .621 for anything.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
  20. #20  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mooch_91 View Post
    Is there a definitive way to upgrade to this new 621 from rooted 605 without losing root and configuration? Anyone confirm that it does work? Thanks!

    Sent from my DROID X using Tapatalk.
    Absolutely, others in this thread have said that too, using the OTA Rootkeeper app from Voodoo, available in the Market. I used it for the upgrade on my DX last week, with no problems at all.
  21. #21  
    gordol's Avatar

    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock GB 2.3.4

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    Absolutely, others in this thread have said that too, using the OTA Rootkeeper app from Voodoo, available in the Market. I used it for the upgrade on my DX last week, with no problems at all.
    I'd hold off if I were you. Ever since I updated my rooted X to .621, I've been having problems... my SD card corrupted twice, and just starting this weekend my phone locked up solid twice trying to just turn it on and once while booting, and my WiFi has started acting flaky - trying to sync data over WiFi (iSyncr WiFi) failed and once could not find ANY networks at all from inside my apartment, where there are at least a dozen medium-to-high-strength networks in range, including my own.

    I cannot prove the fault is a rooted .621, but the coincidence factor is rather high.

    And to add insult to injury, the one bugfix I was looking for, isn't there (hard button lights are still flaky).
    Last edited by gordol; 03-04-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add a line.
    --
    PDA/Smartphone path: Palm IIIx -> various Sony Clies -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> iPhone 3G -> Crapberry Storm2 / iPod Touch -> Droid X -> iPhone 5
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    I'd hold off if I were you. Ever since I updated my rooted X to .621, I've been having problems... my SD card corrupted twice, and just starting this weekend my phone locked up solid twice trying to just turn it on and once while booting, and my WiFi has started acting flaky - trying to sync data over WiFi (iSyncr WiFi) failed and once could not find ANY networks at all from inside my apartment, where there are at least a dozen medium-to-high-strength networks in range, including my own.

    I cannot prove the fault is a rooted .621, but the coincidence factor is rather high.

    And to add insult to injury, the one bugfix I was looking for, isn't there (hard button lights are still flaky).
    How long after the update did you start to notice problems? I did mine on 2/28, and haven't seen any odd behavior at all.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  23. #23  
    gordol's Avatar

    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock GB 2.3.4

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    How long after the update did you start to notice problems? I did mine on 2/28, and haven't seen any odd behavior at all.
    Almost immediately. And now, as in within the past 10 minutes, my phone just bricked itself.
    --
    PDA/Smartphone path: Palm IIIx -> various Sony Clies -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> iPhone 3G -> Crapberry Storm2 / iPod Touch -> Droid X -> iPhone 5
  24. #24  
    jerseyboy357's Avatar

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    Almost immediately. And now, as in within the past 10 minutes, my phone just bricked itself.
    Gord, go to your Rooting/Roms thread on this, Ive followed up with you there.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: I'm having trouble updating to 4.5.621...please help!!!!!!

    Send me an emal. I had the same problem... I ended up down loading an ISO to take me back to stock
    OS, I then updated... Problem for me now is a new root for this package ie 4.5....
    Update for Droid x then updates, but the tool (Rooting) I used for the prior release now does not work
    Send me an email and I will supply ISO to boot under linux and install back to original OS, then update
    Kurt
    LSDcode.com

Posting Permissions

B