Early upgrade questions

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
i have gotten mixed info from verizon.

first i was told that i could upgrade my line...now they say i can't.

MY contract is up in June 2011, but my upgrade date is December 27, 2010. They are telling me that I can't use the early upgrade on the DX because my contract doesn't expire until 2011.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i have gotten mixed info from verizon.

first i was told that i could upgrade my line...now they say i can't.

MY contract is up in June 2011, but my upgrade date is December 27, 2010. They are telling me that I can't use the early upgrade on the DX because my contract doesn't expire until 2011.

That was the same thing I got from them, my annual is in November but since my contract ends next year they couldn't give me the promo for the DX

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
That was the same thing I got from them, my annual is in November but since my contract ends next year they couldn't give me the promo for the DX

From what I understand annual upgrades don't qualify, and neither do NE2 credits. In other words, if they are eligable for a NE2 this year they can get their upgrade date pushed foreward, but they have to go to that original date to get the NE2 (unless it's REALLY close to the 15th)

Verizon CS has been cracking down on exceptions of late. They got to the point where people were calling screaming because they knew they could get an exception. So verizon lowered the threshold for Annual upgrades, and made a whole slew of new standard procedures. Now CS reps and supervisors will come under review if they hand out too many exceptions.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand annual upgrades don't qualify, and neither do NE2 credits. In other words, if they are eligable for a NE2 this year they can get their upgrade date pushed foreward, but they have to go to that original date to get the NE2 (unless it's REALLY close to the 15th)

Verizon CS has been cracking down on exceptions of late. They got to the point where people were calling screaming because they knew they could get an exception. So verizon lowered the threshold for Annual upgrades, and made a whole slew of new standard procedures. Now CS reps and supervisors will come under review if they hand out too many exceptions.

Thats a bummer, everyone enjoys manipulating corporate phone companies to get what they want, oh the power. It's not like they were losing business :p

But it makes sense :)

Thanks for the clarification!

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
oh I forgot to mention that whne I first called VZW, they said I could upgrade all 5 of my lines. Now, today, they say only 3 of the lines are upgradable. So, I called back and another CSR tells me only one line is available for upgrade! WTF!!!!! so, he looks deeper into it, and then tells me 2 are available........so, i ask him about one of my other lines, and he says "well, it looks like that line is out of contract."
I ask him, "shouldn't that line be eligible too if I sign a new contract on that."
he prelies "It should, but it's not showing it."

What the hell is going on at Verizon these days????

bduschel

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
So my contract has been in excellent standing order for almost 2 years and my NE2 is coming up Sept 21 which is about 2 months away, So I emailed verizon to ask if I can have my NE2 bumped up to July 15th to get my NE2 discount on top of the $100.00 off the Droid X. They email me back saying they are unable to do it at this time due to my NE2 being to far out but I would be able to get it at the discount price of 199.99. Anybody else have this issue or should I call in to speak to a live rep?

Within 2 weeks, Big Red is always willing to move things forward. Unfortunately you are too far out.

Sangiovese

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Finally got a CSR today who was willing to pull in my NE2 date from 8/2/10 to 7/13/10. This was my 4th attempt after being told 3 other times they could not do it. I waited a couple of minutes for supervisor approval and then it was done.

I think you just need to keep calling until you get someone to help you. If you are more than 30 days from your NE2 date, though, then you may be out of luck.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I was able to bump up my NE2 date to the day I called last week but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I have been a costumer for years, have 3 lines on my account (2 of which are smartphone with data plans) and have been saddled with the original Storm since November of 2008. I am on my 3rd replacement and told them I could not deal with the phone anymore and was hoping to get my date moved and they complied after the CS talked to her supervisor.

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You can always play the 'i'm gonna cancel' game. Works even better if you have a couple of lines. Just explain they either bump it so you can get the phone and extend 2 more years or you will pay the termination fees and be done with it. You'll probably get bumped to a supervisor who should understand they will be making way more off of you if they let you upgrade and extend. This worked for me a couple of years ago with Verizon. Of course I really wouldn't have canceled, but the bluff worked.

chuch13

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been said...but I am eligible for my NE2 as of right now...have been for a couple months in fact. My question is, why am I only getting a 50 dollar discount on it? I have a family share plan in which my line is 89.99 a month, and my two younger sisters' lines are 20.00 each, so for example my last phone bill was 140 dollars more or less. And also, does that seem a high bill? We get 500 shared minutes...I have unlimited data...and they have regular "dumb" phones. Thanks for any help you can give.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The NE2 amount was decreased for new verizon costumers, how long have you been with big red? I have had Verizon since before they started the NE2 promo so I was grandfathered in when they changed the NE2 from $100 to $35-$50.

chuch13

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The NE2 amount was decreased for new verizon costumers, how long have you been with big red? I have had Verizon since before they started the NE2 promo so I was grandfathered in when they changed the NE2 from $100 to $35-$50.

I was with 360 Communications back in the mid 90's...who then changed their name too Alltel...whose was then bought by Verizon. So technically I guess I've been with them for 16-17 years...or you could say that my phone bill has said "Verizon" on it for only about 9 months...depends on how you look at it haha

GynormousMellon#AC

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with VZW. My NE2 is available on August 5th for $100.00. (yes I'm one of the few left that get $100.00. After this I'll get $50.00).

Told them that I was starting to have problems with my BB and asked if they could bump my NE2 up so I could get the X on the 15th. She said no problem and after she checked with her supervisor, I'm good to go. I was very nice and asked if they could help me during this conversation. Once again, Big Red's customer service is awesome. Another reason why I have been with them for 15 years. Yes I pay more then other carriers, but you get what you pay for.

Now my head will finally look "normal" when I'm on the phone. :)

RaVEWHQ

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, after repeated attempts with customer service, I tried my hand at emailing them.
'Lo and behold:
"Mr. X, I updated your upgrade date to today's date so you can upgrade to the Droid X on 7/15; however, you will only be able to take advantage of the upgrade online or through Customer Service. Visiting the Verizon Wireless store is not an option to retrieve the device because your dates have been altered. "

Checked the website an hour after I received this email and got the "You are eligible!"
Hurrrrayyy!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm 18 days from my 2 years if I buy Thursday I have to pay 20$ and loose my 100$. And yes I get the 100$ deal. Customer care told me to go in Thursday and see if they will do any thing.

kcpcgeek

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Early upgrade question

Greetings all...Current LG Dare user and soon to be part of the Android army.

I called BB today and they told me I was #2 on the list. They told me I might not be able to upgrade because my phone is a smartphone. She said the upgrade special is for customers who are currently not smartphone users.

I told her that my phone is not a smartphone, it's more of a feature phone. Maybe a multimedia phone, but not a smartphone. She again stated that there might be an issue because of my current phone.

I called Verizon and verified they stated they were unaware of any upgrade restrictions based on the phone I am upgrading from.

Is anybody aware of early upgrade restrictions at Best Buy when upgrading to the Droid X?

john_5_24

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
My NE2 isn't up until November and the rep at the store told me they could move it up for $20. Fine by me, whether the $20 is actually necessary or not.

Stang04GT

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Upgrading question

Im looking to upgrade from my Storm 2 to a Droid X. I went into the Verizon store 2 weeks ago to get a replacement phone cause mine wast messed up and wasnt working properly. I asked the guy there about upgrading to the X and he said for me to wait untill the 24th and then I could upgrade to it and get an extra $100 off the phone by using the new every two on one of my family lines that are ready for upgrade ( my line isn't ready for upgrade untill next year). My question is do you think verizon will let me get the phone on the 15th using one of my other lines and still let me get the extra $100 off? I dont want to wait tll the 24th unless I have to. I dont want to run the risk of them being out of stock like the incredible was.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
NE2 should be able to move 30 days. Some have gotten them to move more but that's the exception, not the rule. Call back until you get it moved.

There is a search function on the forum, in addition to other posts on the first page of the Droid X posts that would answer your questions FYI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463