Droid X pre-order from Best Buy

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does that mean that Motorola is experiencing quality, or part availability issues that are stopping or slowing manufacture, or perhaps that the demand is greater than anticipated, so that pre-orders simply can't be satisfied on launch date? I'm hoping for the latter.

I'm hoping it's because they want to keep Verizon retailers stocked as much as possible lol.

The Mad Mule

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
One Best Buy I called said that they weren't taking any more pre-orders.

Another one I called after that said that they're still taking pre-orders, I just have to go into the store and put down a $50 deposit, and in return they'll give me a $50 BB gift card. However, she did tell me that they would not be able to apply to NE2 discount, which is a dealbreaker for me, because it's a $100 value in my case.

But it's all good, because I called a Verizon kiosk after those, and he said that they will have enough (he said that they learned their lesson with the Incredible) and I should be able to get a Droid X the day it comes out there. Good stuff! :cool:

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
But it's all good, because I called a Verizon kiosk after those, and he said that they will have enough (he said that they learned their lesson with the Incredible) and I should be able to get a Droid X the day it comes out there. Good stuff! :cool:

I heard this too, but to make sure I guarantee success, I'm gonna go into my local store two days before release and ask the rep if he can hold one for me. He had said he'd be able to when I asked him about it last Thursday, he just told me to make sure I wanted to get it launch day first.

Verizon reps never want to sell you a phone on launch day, they always suggest waiting for the second shipment. They know that many phones have some sort of software or hardware issue within the first few weeks and all the noobs go into the store first to have their problems fixed. I guess in order to make less work for themselves, they shy people away from buying launch day.

This is all total speculation though based on my experience with ZCOM Wireless employees.

typo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
placed my BB pre order yesterday at BBand they said there would be no problems filling the demand. Today i was paying my VW bill at the local store and i talked to a manager bout pre ordering directly from them and he said they dont usually take pre orders this early but he would call me as soon as they started taking pre orders. Hoping one way or another i'll get one and worst case if BB lets me down and VW comes thru then i'll have a $50 BB gift card.

The Mad Mule

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I heard this too, but to make sure I guarantee success, I'm gonna go into my local store two days before release and ask the rep if he can hold one for me.

Yeah, the guy I talked to said for me to call one or two days before July 15th to see what the shipment size is. Hopefully the person I talk to two weeks from now is just as helpful and friendly, and will hold a Droid X for me. :)

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the guy I talked to said for me to call one or two days before July 15th to see what the shipment size is. Hopefully the person I talk to two weeks from now is just as helpful and friendly, and will hold a Droid X for me. :)

Yea, it's all about going to a smaller Verizon store if you have an option. There's a big Verizon store near me with like 7 or 8 reps at a time and service sucks there. I go to one where there's usually only one person working and it's like walking into an expensive car dealership. He sits you down at his desk, shows off the phone to you, recommends good apps to buy or good settings for your phone. A little service can go a long way if your not a forum geek like we are ;)

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I will confirm that yes, BB has halted all pre-orders from today on forward due to Motorola manufacturing issues.

Also note: The original alottment that BB was supposed to get was cut by more than half. My contact at BB Corp stated that as many as half of the pre-orders already taken will not be honored.

I read online that it was more related to BB's allotment from VZW. Apparently a lot of preorders where taken at BB and they may have over shot their allotments of phones.

TYagoto

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Im just going to go to the verizon store. in Hawaii no one seems to know much so I'm not as worried. Not many techies other than the apple geeks

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm 4th on the list at my local BB store, I pray to God that the store gets atleast 4 units! lol

I have always just upgraded online thru myverizon. It's just so much easier to order it online and get it 2 days later. Never done the BB pre-order things so hopefully it'll pan out. something different I guess..

TYagoto

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm 4th on the list at my local BB store, I pray to God that the store gets atleast 4 units! lol

I have always just upgraded online thru myverizon. It's just so much easier to order it online and get it 2 days later. Never done the BB pre-order things so hopefully it'll pan out. something different I guess..

well good luck to you and everyone else. I'm sure up to 5 is the norm? and after that you wait. That's how it usually is at walmart for new devices if its any consolation

vexhold

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I read online that it was more related to BB's allotment from VZW. Apparently a lot of preorders where taken at BB and they may have over shot their allotments of phones.

Thats basically the jist of it. The whole reason for putting a $50 deposit down, which actually does nothing for you, besides forcing you to make a purchase is to utilize a special SKU for the pre-order. They did not OVER-SHOOT it, but rather were cut short due to less volume than promised being shipped.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Might I ask how long you've been with VZW or what type of plan you may have? My family has been with "Big Red" since 1998 and I know they are usually great about bending over backwards to loyal clients. I managed to push my NE2 date from July 21st to the 15th without any hesitation from the CSR I spoke to yesterday.

I'd suggest doing the same, I mean considering you're obviously willing to stick with Verizon for at least another two years.

I have had Verizon I think since 1998 too and I have 3 phones under my social - no family plan but my mother and sister are also listed under me. I have a blackberry, my sister the droid and my mother the LG Dare I think, we all have a data but my mother. Like I said I didn't push the early NE2 upgrade but now that you mention it maybe I will call back and give them a nudge especially since I already have the pre-order in (first at my local BB).

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I saw this on BGR too, I take it as CYA on VZW's part to ensure that they don't have another HTC issue on their hands. Motorola has a better history of fulfilling orders so I am sure they gave a max number of pre-orders by region and once hit gave the halt order. I don't see them having the same issue twice with the launching of 2 new devices in a short time.

Last edited:

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I see that the new DX Accessories file shows a 32gb microsd card discounted for $99.99 w/Droid X, vs. the standard retail price of $149.99.

I wonder if BB will match the $99.99 Verizon price on DX's purchased through them, or if they will even have any 32gb cards available? I also wonder if Verizon will be generous enough to allow the discounted price for the card when the DX has been purchased from BB?

mapexvenus

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered today too, though I simply don't get the whole fill-out-a-form-and-but-a-$50-gift-card-thingy. I didn't even get a formal acknowledgment of the pre-order. I will have to buy the phone outright since I am not eligible for an upgrade.

movieman742

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I pre-ordered today too, though I simply don't get the whole fill-out-a-form-and-but-a-$50-gift-card-thingy. I didn't even get a formal acknowledgment of the pre-order. I will have to buy the phone outright since I am not eligible for an upgrade.

I'm also buying outright but I still had to fill out the form, get the gift card, and all that stuff. I hope you get one.

I went into my Best Buy today to talk about the pre-order issue. They said that I'd be fine since I was second on the list, they said they stopped to make sure everyone would get them, myself included. However they still didn't know what the price will be, they said maybe a week or so before till they do.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thats basically the jist of it. The whole reason for putting a $50 deposit down, which actually does nothing for you, besides forcing you to make a purchase is to utilize a special SKU for the pre-order. They did not OVER-SHOOT it, but rather were cut short due to less volume than promised being shipped.

it doesn't "force" you to make a purchase. You can get your $50 back any time you want and not buy the phone.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I see that the new DX Accessories file shows a 32gb microsd card discounted for $99.99 w/Droid X, vs. the standard retail price of $149.99.

I wonder if BB will match the $99.99 Verizon price on DX's purchased through them, or if they will even have any 32gb cards available? I also wonder if Verizon will be generous enough to allow the discounted price for the card when the DX has been purchased from BB?

i went into my local Verizon store today and they knew nothing about that. but they said even if u get the phone at best buy just go to a Verizon the same day and if they are doing that promotion they should be able to give you the $99.99 price

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
went to BB and pre ordered mine...I'm like # 6 or 8 the guy said. I hope they get 10 in..lol Oh well it will be better than my Eris. I think they said the price is $600 off contract.:)